210G big enough for two pairs of clowns?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G filled with 4 RBTA's, 2 red 2 green and 2 black occ clowns and I want to move them to my 210g 6' tank in a few months which also has 2 black occ clowns. Do you guys think a 210g tank is large enough to house 2 sperate established bonded pairs? I plan to add more RBTA than the 4 in there currently. One green is really large currently, a good 3" foot and its reach is a good 8-9". The other green is small about a 1" foot the two reds are the same size just shy of 2" feet on them but they stay as bubbles as does the small green. The big green has great flow however.

The existing pair in the 210 spends 80% of the time in one top corner of the tank and hardly go anywhere. The smaller younger pair (less than year old) is with the nems currently. I assume after I add the nems the clowns will want to move to the nems.

Also been considering trying to remove the existing clown pair for a month or so and then release both pairs back into he 210g at the same time. Kind alike timing release of Tangs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sets of clowns ( 2breeds) in my 160 and they are fine. Constantly hanging out around each other.
Nice, you give me hope. I have seen large displays in stores and what not that had multiple pairs now that I think about it. They were not haram tanks just large displays with lots of nems and multiple pairs. But I think I may need to remove the existing for a few months then release all clowns at same time after the nems have gotten settled in the tank.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, you give me hope. I have seen large displays in stores and what not that had multiple pairs now that I think about it. They were not haram tanks just large displays with lots of nems and multiple pairs. But I think I may need to remove the existing for a few months then release all clowns at same time after the nems have gotten settled in the tank.
Removing the existing pair for a couple of weeks is a good idea prior to reintroducing them all to the tank. You might consider changing up the aquascaping a bit too. From my experience with this, clowns that have been in the tank for a long time will remember their territory and go back to defend it. Moving the rocks around will help decrease the chances of this. Good luck!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will have difficulty with two females of the same breed. You maybe luckily if they establish in two end of the tank.
Best chance of success would be placing anemones only on opposite ends of the tank and the clowns follow accordingly.
Ocellaris does not have great affinity to BTA so I think your chance of success is low, be prepare to remove a female or a pair from your 210 tank if needed.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have two females, you may end up with a harem of clowns with 1 female, one male and 2 juveniles. 4 Ocellaris will be fine in this configuration

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 diffrent pairs in my 75gal.
They've been living happily together for the past 5 months.
4 clowns do not equal to 2 pairs. Are you sure you have two pairs in a 75 gal tank? This does not seem to be reasonable.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different PAIRS also in a 75 gal..1 are skunks the other -percs

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 clowns in a 110g so shouldnt have an issue. As long as theyre all the same or all different types shouod be fine. If you have like 3 normals and then like a wyoming white might have an issue.

Remember just to have a rockwork that lets fish be out of line of sight for best compatablity regardless of tank size. A giant rock pile doesnt add much hiding, a bunch of arches and coves and so on will help any fish hide from aggression

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back