OP
Rodneyri

Rodneyri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fav part of the tank right now, the contrast between the corals is intense!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Everyone wants to get in the way of the photos though :)
IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, how long did it take from start to finish with allowing it to dry sufficiently enough to do the next piece? That is just a marvel

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all the likes on the scape, I really did enjoy making it and still like to look at it watching it all grow. I did take some pics of the build of it, not too many but here are some

FullSizeRender.jpg

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpg

When designing it I tried to get 1/3 on each side of the centre line for aesthetics
scapethirds.jpg

Very nice, thanks for showing us the process! So the Knead It will hold those rocks in place? Did you just bond it or did you use an acrylic rod also inside of the rocks? Also whats the super glue for?

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aqu scape looks like it is growing out of the back of the aquarium, perfect.
Nitro

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it!

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the aquascaping did you factor in if you ever have to move the rock again?

OP
OP
Rodneyri

Rodneyri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ill try run through the exact process I use with scaping...the strongest method ive found is to grab some aquaknead and massage it til its uniform, then add in a few drops of superglue and knead again so the glue is evenly mixed in. Then roll the knead into a ball or a tube shape (depending on what rock work your gluing), Now apply super glue to both sides of the ball that will touch the rocks. Sandwich the knead between the rocks and massage any excess that squishes out. I then clamp or use cable ties to hold in place - this will dry in an hour or so depending on how hot the day is.

For the overhangs I let them set over night due to the weight and minimal support - hold them up with tubes, toilet rolls or something to support while drying. I used about half a tube of aquaknead for each of the over hang joints, they are solid, dont skimp here cause you will be in more trouble if an overhang breaks off in your tank!

Moving it out of the tank would be a mission, especially when covered in corals. But it can easily be disassembled into a few pieces to make it easier to lift out. I really wanted to achieve a look where the tank is just floating corals...thought that would be cool when it grows up.

Another tip, try building the scape on a table that is the height of the tank cabinet, so you get the perception of how you will be looking at it. Id often place rocks together and sit back and look from different angles to get the look I was after.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ill try run through the exact process I use with scaping...the strongest method ive found is to grab some aquaknead and massage it til its uniform, then add in a few drops of superglue and knead again so the glue is evenly mixed in. Then roll the knead into a ball or a tube shape (depending on what rock work your gluing), Now apply super glue to both sides of the ball that will touch the rocks. Sandwich the knead between the rocks and massage any excess that squishes out. I then clamp or use cable ties to hold in place - this will dry in an hour or so depending on how hot the day is.

For the overhangs I let them set over night due to the weight and minimal support - hold them up with tubes, toilet rolls or something to support while drying. I used about half a tube of aquaknead for each of the over hang joints, they are solid, dont skimp here cause you will be in more trouble if an overhang breaks off in your tank!

Moving it out of the tank would be a mission, especially when covered in corals. But it can easily be disassembled into a few pieces to make it easier to lift out. I really wanted to achieve a look where the tank is just floating corals...thought that would be cool when it grows up.

Another tip, try building the scape on a table that is the height of the tank cabinet, so you get the perception of how you will be looking at it. Id often place rocks together and sit back and look from different angles to get the look I was after.
I love it, gonna give this a shot. Where did you get all your shelf rock?

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of a kind tank I've seen, that stand is perfect , u got space to work with on the sides, would u be able to show us how it's structured inside the stand?

OP
OP
Rodneyri

Rodneyri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure here you go, ive had the cabinet for sometime now with a smaller 5' tank, made it long enough to put an 8' tank on it...which I would have done but it wouldnt fit through the door and had to be built onsite. So went with a 7' instead. Frame was made in 2 pieces and bolted together, then clad with the polyurethane once in place.

015-1.jpg

P1000276.jpg

P1000264.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back