220 gallon leak!

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished plumbing the 220, so then I thought hey lets do a leak test. Now my carpet is flooded. The leak looks like it's coming from the bottom support beams. It doesn't leak until it's about half full. Do you know what's going on? How do you you fix this? Until this problem is resolved the tank build is coming to a complete stop.

Here's som pics
05f91624645dc3a1aeaf2447ada5999a.jpg

43ded76da0a6b76f525c40dec2c9aa04.jpg

6fe908e9d9469f1f994ea6eb60f3aa0e.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New or used tank? If it's new, I'd try to swap it for a new one because the only fix would be to at minimum do an interior reseal. Worst case, all panes need to be removed and resealed. No chance it is leaking at bulkheads?

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New or used tank? If it's new, I'd try to swap it for a new one because the only fix would be to at minimum do an interior reseal. Worst case, all panes need to be removed and resealed. No chance it is leaking at bulkheads?

We checked and it's not the bulkheads. Could it possible be the the bottom of the tank bowing. Therefore opening the seal?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible, but that would require a full reseal if that's the case. If the structural seam failed it needs to come completely apart for a reseal.

Edit: reread and got what you meant. Likely not. They usually use plenty thick glass on the bottom. Bowing there would be minimal if at all. I would say leak is likely around bottom and flowing around bottom trim to lowest opening which is at the brace. Just my hunch.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few tips:
Whenever possible water test tanks (especially big ones) outside. Been in your situation myself. I also learned the hard way that saltwater adds more pressure than fresh. Test with sw. Check your side seams also, they may be leaking down low and into the frame from the inside. Check for level and never place a tank over carpet. Carpet can cause a seemingly level tank to go out of level once you add water. This can cause pressure on your seams and make it leak or even crack the glass. Do not over tighten bulkheads and make sure you not only use the rubber gaskets but that they are on the correct side of the glass. Although these are tips they may help you know where to look for your leak or why it could be leaking.

Best of luck!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make sure the person you are taking it to is a pro at resealing tanks. This is a big tank and when they fail, the results can be catastrophic, both for your reef and your home's interior. Good luck with the repair.

OP
OP
colesjensen

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make sure the person you are taking it to is a pro at resealing tanks. This is a big tank and when they fail, the results can be catastrophic, both for your reef and your home's interior. Good luck with the repair.

I've had him repair a smaller tank before and it had no problems. so I hope it has the same outcome XD

Inky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting that you shouldn't set a glass tank on foam like that, acrylic yes, but not glass. Glass tanks should be supported around the perimeter only. It's possible that as you filled the tank and it got heavier that the foam was pushing up on the bottom, especially where the cross braces run underneath and compromised the seal.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting that you shouldn't set a glass tank on foam like that, acrylic yes, but not glass. Glass tanks should be supported around the perimeter only. It's possible that as you filled the tank and it got heavier that the foam was pushing up on the bottom, especially where the cross braces run underneath and compromised the seal.
+1

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be for glass tanks with trim. Rimless or Euro-braced glass tanks without trim should rest on foam.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back