220 leaking this morning

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaks are manifesting underneath the two trim bars that go underneath. I haven't found source yet. Tank has been set up for a little over 2 years. If I push up on the trim is seems to stop but haven't been able to hold both long enough to see where else the water goes.

Anyone experience something similar?

For now, letting it drain down into the sump and a 5gal bucket.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, shopping for a new aquarium now. Hopefully the Orlando stores have decent sizes in stock. Not going 220 again, but would like at least 110. Tank is about half empty and the leak has slowed. Hoping to avoid taking the fish out until I have to. Get them into a brute with recently removed tank water, power head, and heater. Then take out the old tank and put in the new. Get the fish back in.

I got almost all of the rock out and covered with water pretty quick.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf had an awesome deal on a 300g with stand/canopy the other day. They had some smaller tanks there too but not sure the sizes
Thanks! Curious what an awesome deal is on a tank that size lol! Im'm trying to keep it under 3k but do have some wiggle room. Problem is, that would require even more lighting, etc..

I do plan on calling TSA, WWC, and LRO to see what deals they have going on.

Pretty sure I'll down size a little bit. I have 2 Kessil AP700's which are barely adequate for the 220 but should be plenty on something a little smaller.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thanks! Curious what an awesome deal is on a tank that size lol! Im'm trying to keep it under 3k but do have some wiggle room. Problem is, that would require even more lighting, etc..

Pretty sure I'll down size a little bit. I have 2 Kessil AP700's which are barely adequate for the 220 but should be plenty on something a little smaller.
The Top Shelf tank was over $7500.
LRO is one of the larger Waterbox dealers and they are a PLEASURE to deal with...ask for Ann. You can't go wrong with them! good luck!

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Pick up a aquatic life hybrid fixture for the AP700s. Don’t let that limit your tank size. Get some new sand also if you plan to use it. Good luck!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used @Living Reef Orlando almost exclusively since I moved down, and yes, they have always been fantastic to deal with. And they were again yesterday. I reached out on FB before opening and they called back as soon as they got to the store. They did have a Waterbox 130 in stock, in black which was my preferred color, and It is currently up and running.

My daughter babysat the leaking tank changing out 5gal buckets while I was gone. I got home with the new tank around 1:30 I think. By 2pm I had the fish into a 20gal Brute. We the proceeded with the long breakdown. I finished around 6:15pm and took an hour to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner lol! At 7:15 some neighborhood buddies braved the social distancing restrictions and came over to help me move the 220 out to the back lanai. That took a bit lol! We finished around 7:45.

We brought the stand in first, and got it just far enough away from the wall that if I suck it in I can squeeze behind the tank. My daughter brags that she can fit sideways, little snot. I was fortunate to have the stand perfectly level, proof in my opinion that there truly is a God. Fam too the dogs for a walk while I fiddled with the plumbing and helped me finish up when they got back. By 10 pm, the tank was on the stand, plumbing finished, and sand(new) in.

We debated leaving the fish in the brute overnight or placing them in last night. The fact that it's pathetically easy to catch groggy fish favored moving them over last night lol! I used the rock in the 32gal Brute to create the rockscape and then used the water to begin the fill. Moved on to the 50gal of freshly mixed water I had mixed the day previous for a water change(yay!) And then borrowed 20gal from the garage refugium.

Now it was time to catch the fish. Anthias can freaking jump, fair warning lol! The clowns practically swan into the net. Potter's angel fish stick to nets(another fair warning), and cleaner shrimp want to clean the net rather than jump off. Used the rest of the 20gal Brute water to fill up the sump and get her started. Gyre XF-250 was already in place as the power head.

For the bad news, I couldn't find 2 of the female anthias once I got all of the rock out. Meaning they defied my attempts to inspect said rock for them as I pulled it. My Apex hasn't connected back to fusion yet. I remember there used to be an app that searched your network for Apex base units and would provide the IP. I haven't looked at my router yet to see if I can identify it either.

I need to find a way to hang my lights, I have 2 AP700 hanging kits on the way. My just use my A360 until they arrive. Will need to order a screen, which I'll do as soon as I finish this post, and clean the old equipment with citric acid, another thing I'll order as soon as I'm done with this post lol!

The tank looks fantastic, and honestly less will be more. The 220 was huge and really swallowed my office. I couldn't reach the bottom, and it seemed I still had another 5k to go before I had the right equipment, fish, and corals. The 130 fits in my office perfectly, looks significantly more stylish, and will be easier to fill. Plus, the 2 AP700's should be plenty of light. Though I have considered the Aquatic Life hybrid fixture. We loved our rimless 60 cube(also sitting on the back lanai due to leaking about 3.5 months ago). This that cube but larger. My daughter mentioned multiple times how much she loved that cube when it was set up in Atlanta full of fish and coral, and she is right. It was the pinnacle of my reef keeping. Corals were all growing, fish were all happy and thriving, and the tank looked perfect with the A360 over it.

Sorry for long post, just relieved to finally get through this. And I have to give kudos to my amazing wife. As I was considering just getting out she reminded me that this is why we keep an emergency savings. This was an emergency. She told me to do what I needed to and she was extremely grateful that I brought home the 130 instead of the 220 LRO had on their floor lol!

Oh, on the 220, I'll have to look closer but I could find any cracks leading me to believe it was the bottom front seam that started leaking. So, if anyone wants to reseal a 220, it's free as long as you pick it up lol!

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything worked out so smoothly! Pics of the old and new when you get a minute would be great too!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything worked out so smoothly! Pics of the old and new when you get a minute would be great too!
I did snap a pic of the old as it was leaking. The pic of the new was from last night after I got everything in. Using light diffuser as a screen for now. I’ll pick up some mesh to go under it today. And still need to add a light lol!

17A28881-F475-462E-BC8C-F3BA8A67ABD8.jpeg EE24E7A3-0178-42E4-BD1F-1B710AA1FBFA.jpeg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get a matching cabinet to go on the right of the tank to cover the wall penetrations. The current cabinet will have to do for now.
And, speaking of, I need to get the refugium plumbed back in today too. Maybe tomorrow lol! I can barely move today.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good time for a new build thread....after a nap of course.
Definitely, though the build is largely already done lol!

I had taken my backup return pump to LRO to make sure it fit. Didn't think to check to make sure the plumbing fit the pump. Thankfully I had a Sicce Syncra in the garage. I have an Eheim too somewhere that I'd actually rather use. I'll need to find the right hose barb fitting for that too lol! My family room, office, and kitchen look a like a fish store exploded.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back