220 Stocking List - Critique away!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 DT, 40b sump, 75g fuge. Rock scape is a work in progress. Only 50lbs in there now with more on the way so if I need to build it to accommodate certain fish I have the opportunity too.

The one constant? My wife loves anthias and I love wrasses. Any other fish are just there to fill a niche. Except the clowns, practically everyone loves clowns lol!

Existing stock(Not currently in the new DT):
2 Ocellaris clowns
1 Orange Back fairy wrasse(Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)

The stocking wish list. I've thrown a couple stocking plans out before but it always keeps changing as time goes on and I get exposed to different possibilities regarding fish.

5-6 Dispar anthias
5-6 Lyretail anthias
McCosker's flasher(Paracheilinus mccosker)
Carpenter's flasher(Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Filamented flasher(Paracheilinus filamentosus)
Diamond-Tail flasher if I can source one(Paracheilinus attenuatus)
Leopard wrasse(Macropharyngodon meleagris)
Lineatus wrasse(Cirrhilabrus linneatus)
Potter's wrasse(Macropharyngodon geoffroy)
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse(Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
Splendid/Pintail Fairy wrasse(I think they're the same but there's a lanceolatus out there too)(Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
Red-lined wrasse(Halichoeres biocellatus)
Chrysus(Yellow Coris) wrasse(Halichoeres chrysus)
Melanurus wrasse(Halichoeres melanurus)
Laboute's Fairy wrasse(Cirrhilabrus laboutei)
Anampses Twistii wrasse(Anampses twistii)
Engineer Goby(Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
Red Coris wrasse(Love the fish, scared of the compatibility)(Coris gaimard)
Radiant wrasse(Halichoeres iridis)
Bicolor or Tailspot blenny
Purple tang(Open to suggestions of which tang. I love the purple but have read they can be very aggressive. If it's to other tangs only, I'm fine. Aggressiveness towards other fish on my list? Not so much.)
Purple tilefish
Potter's angelfish

Maybe?
Quoyi Parrotfish
Red-Tailed or Bluethroat trigger
Yellow Eye Kole tang(Would it coexist with the purple?)
Mandarin

So, I don't need or expect to get every fish on this list. If I did that would put me at 35-40 fish which I suspect is a fairly heavy bio load even with 280-300gal total water volume. From what I can tell, I might have to pick between the Laboute's and Lineatus in which case, first one I can find wins. But, if I can keep both, I will. Most of the flashers should be compatible right?

As far as order of entry, honestly I'd prefer cheaper ones first. My longest QT to date has been a couple of weeks with a dose of prazipro and I thought I was doing good. I know better now but would prefer to train myself on hardier, and less expensive, fish before I move on to more delicate ones. However, if there is an absolute rule on this fish before this other fish, I'd like to know.

I will likely want to keep a cleaner shrimp or three so that may exclude the Coris or either of the triggers. I don't really care about having to refresh a CUC periodically.

Would a Mandarin stand a chance with all the wrasses? Seems like a lot of food competition.

I certainly don't mind alternates or suggestions!

Thanks!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approve of the abundance of wrasses! The C. lanceolatus is on my stock list as well (sexy wrasse, for sure!) Make sure that potters leopard goes in well down the road. They tend to not do well in newer systems.

I don't think a mandarin is going to find many pods with that labrid load.

If you want a trigger, look into the Xanthichthys genus. They're primarily pelagic and are *usually* invert safe if kept well fed.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, this will help with your wrasse compatibility questions. I didn't give it the compatibility check, but this is a great guide courtesy of @evolved
38ef93f02bcbd8839cd4ed9adcce3ef8.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list looks good for the most part. If you want shrimp skip the coris and trigger.

Also, I wouldn't do a mandarin in that tank.

The splendid pintail, C. isoscoles, is a great choice. C. lanceolatus can be pretty aggressive, that's if one is available in the U.S. and will cost around 3k.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list looks good for the most part. If you want shrimp skip the coris and trigger.

Also, I wouldn't do a mandarin in that tank.

The splendid pintail, C. isoscoles, is a great choice. C. lanceolatus can be pretty aggressive, that's if one is available in the U.S. and will cost around 3k.

Thanks TJ. What I figured on the coris and trigger so they're out.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Mandarin.

And I could just see my wife's reaction to wanting a 3k fish. She supports my hobby, but not that much lol! Thanks for the clarification.

Excited about the wrasse list.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions on going with one large harem of 10 Lyretail's vs 2 smaller harems of 5-6 Lyretail's and 5-6 Dispar's(or other)?

Edited to add: Also, better to go small females or larger females?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions on going with one large harem of 10 Lyretail's vs 2 smaller harems of 5-6 Lyretail's and 5-6 Dispar's(or other)?

Edited to add: Also, better to go small females or larger females?
Go small females.

Both options should work, so go with what you like.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little over a year. Sadly, my orange back was lost to the overflow and getting stuck at the drain valve. Not sure if I'll replace him or not. At my current pace of adding fish, I may never be done adding fish lol!

How the stocking currently sits:
2 ocellaris clowns
Melanarus wrasse
Yellow-fin flasher wrasse
Lubbock's wrasse
Purple fire fish
Tail-spot blenny
2 Zebra bar gobies

In long term QT/grow out tank:
Potter's Angelfish
Blackfin McCosker flasher
Royal Gramma
Yellow watchman Goby

In initial QT:
Yellow-eye Kole Tang

Engineer goby has been stricken from the list. Gets too big. The Kole tang will also be the only tang in the tank.

I tried a marble wrasse with near disastrous results. I'd read that they were hit or miss with other wrasses and mine was a clear miss. Thankfully I was able to catch him and trade him in to a LFS. That's the last time I deviate from my list on a questionable fish.

I think I need to get some more wrasses in QT once these current batches are through.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ The OP, you get big bonus points from me for having a pre-dominant wrasse tank. Definitely the most underrated fishes in the hobby. I think it all looks good. A Purple Tang can be a jerk to just about anyone but in a 220 it should have enough room to co-exist. Just me, but I would switch the Kole for the Purple and you will have a much better chance of success as they are generally better behaved than the members of the Buttheadicus Giganticus variety (aka Zebrasoma :D )

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ The OP, you get big bonus points from me for having a pre-dominant wrasse tank. Definitely the most underrated fishes in the hobby. I think it all looks good. A Purple Tang can be a jerk to just about anyone but in a 220 it should have enough room to co-exist. Just me, but I would switch the Kole for the Purple and you will have a much better chance of success as they are generally better behaved than the members of the Buttheadicus Giganticus variety (aka Zebrasoma :D )

Lol! Kinda late on the tang. Kole is in QT so unless it gives me a reason, it's the tang of the future lol! We love wrasses. IMO the best looking group of fish as a whole in the hobby. Shame we can't keep them all. Almost bought a pintail today but would prefer to spend that kind of $ when there is at least a 14-day guarantee attached to it. Almost bought a Carpenter's flasher too lol! But really was looking for a tang today to be a grazer in the tank. Something needs to compete with my blenny and keep it the thing from being so fat.

Most of the credit for the wrasse wishlist goes to evolved and eatbreakfast. Their insights on wrasse compatibility have been a huge benefit to this hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back