225 Plywood reef tank

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a homemade plywood reef tank. Filled it about 6 months ago and started adding fish about 4 months ago. If interest is shown I will further explain how everything came to be and how I made it happen! Loving the journey so far!

C9FC416F-0C61-4E6A-99F5-E7D7380D075A.jpeg

DzyDvl33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood???? I've heard of Redsea but Redneck is a new one to me. LOL
I'm interested.

OP
OP
Lebsam225gal

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood???? I've heard of Redsea but Redneck is a new one to me. LOL
I'm interested.

Hey everyone! So I stumbled on a 225 gallon tank with everything included that came from 40 years of fish keeping. I got a crazy deal and a huge head start. I’ve had many fresh water aquariums in the past but this is my first saltwater tank and it has been an adventure. I bought it in September. It’s a homemade plywood tank with starfire glass as the front piece. 45 gallon sump. Came with two pumps one to return front sump to tank and one to run from an over flow In the tank to a series of nozzles acting as a wave maker. As for accessories I received several hundred pounds of live rock and sand. Pipes, hoses, filters, pumps, leds, and every little part you can imagine.
So to start from the beginning I bought everything in September and had it al set up and ready to go by the end of the month. I was given a rodi but my home water system has one installed so I’m using it in the time being. I put the tank together to realize I had lost a nut for one of the overflows. Took about 2 weeks to find one at a pool store but it was a success. In the meantime I had cleaned the tank and set up my rock work and sand and had started the very long process of mixing my salt water which also took a little longer than two weeks. Once the water reached the overflows it was time to start the pumps. I was disappointed to find they were both shot. Salt water had gotten into the coil and it was not fixable. So I set off to find new pumps which I quickly did for the sump but I had to wait a while for the other pump for financial reasons lol it’s an expensive hobby. My tank is now running well with all pumps and filters and my water tests are levelling out nicely. I added hermits and snails early on and about a month later 2 clownfish. A week after them I added an Atlantic blue tang. I bought a gsp frag and he also gave me a few polyps of green paly. Looking forward to watching everything grow and can’t wait to get some more fish! As for the plywood tank thing.. I have thought really hard about making one when I was doing freshwater so I guess that makes me redneck lol basically you make whatever size you want obviously with the right thickness of plywood.. the expensive part is the glass. You paint the entire inside with marine paint or a waterproof paint but it’s all the same really. Once there’s a few layers on you cut pieces of thin string/rope and run it along all the seems after soaking them in the paint.. then you add quite a few more layers and the you should fingers crossed have a pretty awesome and cheap for the size tank.. it’s really only worth building your own plywood tank if it’s 300+.. which is why I never built my own. I do find it interesting that I ended up buying one though hahaha.. they’re also super light and extra front heavy.. like carrying an old tv

OP
OP
Lebsam225gal

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are other ways to build the plywood tanks that would ensure better success ratio

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in saltwater fish in 1968 a plywood tank was the only way to get a big tank.
Now that I think about it my first "tank' was a clear plastic shoe box that I raised dwarf seahorses in that I bought out of Boy's Life magazine and came Air Mail(2 Days then) for $4.95 shipped. You got 2 pairs and a pregnant male. I shortly there after had 4 more shoe boxes to raise all the baby brine shrimp those seahorse ate everyday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lebsam225gal

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in saltwater fish in 1968 a plywood tank was the only way to get a big tank.
That makes sense.. the only thing I don’t like about it honestly is the fact I have no side view. But I understand how it would have been a much cheaper and economic build. Much easier to sell for profit as there probably wasn’t that much “hype” around the hobby as much less was known?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back