Lighting for 6'x4'x4 reef tank

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about building a 6'x4'x4 reef tank out of plywood but before I get started I would like to know how feasible it would be to light the thing. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the most important thing to you with the light? Cost? Heat? Ease of setup and use? Coral health? Color? Will you even have coral? Give us some more details. :)
I'd like to have coral but I don't know what would punch that deep. I was thinking metal halide but I don't think anyone sells them anymore

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was quoted, they were $985 with free shipping. That was for a single unit. You may get a price break if you order more than one. You'd need at least 3 with their wider 60 degree optic lens to cover your tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi Uno 2.0 with 60 degree reflectors would punch down that far. With the narrow beams, you would need a bunch of them to cover the 24 sq foot surface, likely 10 give or take. The video on this link ( https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-uno-2-0-pro/ ) would give you an idea, although the tank is only 2 foot deep, you can extrapolate PAR. You could also contact Reefi. He's good about giving you numbers and suggestions.

Is this a theoretical thing, or are you really doing this? Have you built a plywood tank before? If you were my buddy, I would tell you not to do this. And if you wanted a big tank with these dimensions, I would tell you to make the depth more reasonable and have someone build it for you. Something like 6x4x30" tall could be made for a few grand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back