22g Long Office Nano - Apex, MP10, AI Sol

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22g SW Office Nano

Current Equipment List (Updated 4/18/23)

• 22g 35.5x12x12 Low-Iron Glass Aquarium
  • Caribsea Special Grade Substrate, Caribsea LifeRock Nano Arches
  • Neptune A2 Apex w/ EB8, FMM, WXM, & VDM
  • Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10ES w/ RF Module (x2)
  • AquaIllumination AI Sol Blue w/ Serial Data Cable (x2)

Slow and steady.

I previously introduced myself in the first post of my 5g Freshwater Desk Nano.
I'm using an old Mr Aqua 22L. I'd like to have something easy to maintain and also serve as an Apex testing environment during work hours. Armed with a handful of equipment put into storage a decade ago and a meager budget, I set the tank up opposite my desk. I will be using a used A2 Apex Base Unit.

salt-1.jpg

Along with the Base Unit, I'll be using an EB832, AWM (paired w/ 3 AI Sol Blue,) WXM (paired with one or two MP10s), FMM (with a modified ATK setup), and a Trident. In the future, I'll likely add one or two DOS modules as well. The AI Sol Blues were from AI's remaining stock at the tail end of the Sol era, were used by me briefly, and then neatly packed into storage so they're almost NOS. I'll likely only use two on this tank, both with wireless adapters. The MP10s are a similar story, although these are missing their wireless chips. I've purchased some from another Reefer here to upgrade the drivers so they're compatible with the Apex WXM.

salt-equip.jpg

Substrate and rock was the first purchase (from BRS.) 40lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade along with a set of CaribSea Life Rock Nano Arches (4 total.) I added the substrate, water, and MP10 allowing the tank to clear overnight.

salt-rock.jpg

salt-rock2.jpg

salt-2.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady.

I previously introduced myself in the first post of my 5g Freshwater Desk Nano.
I'm using an old Mr Aqua 22L. I'd like to have something easy to maintain and also serve as an Apex testing environment during work hours. Armed with a handful of equipment put into storage a decade ago and a meager budget, I set the tank up opposite my desk. I will be using a used A2 Apex Base Unit.

salt-1.jpg

Along with the Base Unit, I'll be using an EB832, AWM (paired w/ 3 AI Sol Blue,) WXM (paired with one or two MP10s), FMM (with a modified ATK setup), and a Trident. In the future, I'll likely add one or two DOS modules as well. The AI Sol Blues were from AI's remaining stock at the tail end of the Sol era, were used by me briefly, and then neatly packed into storage so they're almost NOS. I'll likely only use two on this tank, both with wireless adapters. The MP10s are a similar story, although these are missing their wireless chips. I've purchased some from another Reefer here to upgrade the drivers so they're compatible with the Apex WXM.

salt-equip.jpg

Substrate and rock was the first purchase (from BRS.) 40lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade along with a set of CaribSea Life Rock Nano Arches (4 total.) I added the substrate, water, and MP10 allowing the tank to clear overnight.

salt-rock.jpg

salt-rock2.jpg

salt-2.jpg
Have those exact same rocks for my tank and I love mine!!! (The nano arch rock)

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gumbies R Us - They are wonderfully shaped and this set is the right size for a minimal rockscape in the 22L. I could see the argument for using more (and I'm not closing that door) but I expect a very low bioload in this tank. I have always preferred the use of artificial dryrock when starting a tank.

rock-fts-1.jpg

rock-fts-2.jpg

rock-fts-3.jpg

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water, Flow, & Light.

I've been steadily, but slowly, making progress on this aquarium. I'm being kept busy by constantly fiddling with my freshwater tank.

The first update is the installation of an Apex ATK. One unassuming upgrade you can make to this system is attaching an optical sensor to the pump and a product from Harrys Aquatic makes that a simple task with an attractive mount. Harry Singer has been making 3rd-Party products for the Apex for a long time now - you're probably familiar with the popular break-out box line he's responsible for from Adaptive Reef.

ato.1.jpg

ato.2.jpg

I also modified the water outlet on the ATK's Sensor Block. Neptune recommends removing the entire float valve assembly only in situations where it can't be used (like an AIO chamber where it won't fit.) Their suggestion is to secure the line from the pump using the thumb screw. Instead, I sheered the entire valve assembly off. I think this gives a cleaner look (but isn't reversible without purchasing a new float valve assembly.)

ATK-NoFloat.jpg

ato.3.jpg

Additionally, I was able to add a second MP10 and upgrade both Vortech drivers with wireless modules enabling control by the Apex through a WXM. Thanks to a member here @ca1ore who provided the WiFi chips quickly, safely, and at a very fair price. The new WiFi chips sold by Ecotech Marine are Bluetooth for control with Mobius or the upcoming MXM (neither of which I have,) so finding these New Old Stock or harvesting them from donor units was my only option.

mp10.3.jpg

mp10.2.jpg

mp10.1.jpg

With them both connected to the tank, I was able to dial in a resonant ("standing") wave which will be my primary flow pattern going forward with the tank.

I've also added the lighting. Thanks to ATAquariums for having EXT Tank Rails in stock - something that AquaIllumination discontinued years ago - and providing them to me at a very reasonable cost shipped from NY. Can't say enough positive things about my interaction with Jose there. The Tank Rails arrived with very minor damage (all I could ask for in overstock from a decade ago,) and after a quick filing on one rail, they were operable and ready for installation.

I'm not a particularly handy person, which is why I bought into the EXT Rail system all those years ago. The installation was dead simple. I attached a board behind the tank for extra stability, marked and drilled pilots, then attached the rail mounts and slid the rails into place.

lights.1.jpg

lights.2.jpg

lights.3.jpg

lights.4.jpg

And that's where the tank currently sits. I learned the Apex isn't capable of communicating with AI Sols through the AWM (even with wireless modules on the AI Sols,) but will be able to with a VDM and serial data cable. These have just arrived, along with a longer data cable for daisy-chaining the Sols.

The next big update should be this weekend, assuming the equipment arrives in time. I'm anxious to start better organization of the equipment here and utilizing the Apex more.

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend's project arrived a little early, a new Adaptive Reef Controller Cabinet.

I've never used these, although I know a lot of people who have, and I wanted to try something built-for-purpose with this Apex.

AdaptiveReef.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back