5g FW Planted Desk Pico - Apex & Kessil

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g FW Planted Desk Pico

Current Equipment List (Updated 4/16/23)

• 5g 10x10x12 Glass Aquarium
  • Seiryu Stone, Spider Wood & Aquasolum Black Humate
  • Neptune A1 ApexJr w/ VDM, PM1, Temp & pH Probe
  • 3d Printed BOB & Probe Rack
  • Kessil H80 w/ Apex Link Cable
  • EHEIM Skim350
  • Clscea G700S CO2 Generator & Solenoid
Current Plant List (Updated 4/16/23)
  • Salvinia minima
  • Bucephalandra theia
  • Bucephalandra catherinae
  • Bucephalandra brownie
  • Cryptocoryne parva
  • Anubias nana petite
  • Microsorum pteropus
  • Crinum calamistratum
Thread Links:

Introductory Post and First Tank Photos:

"What kind of tank do you have at home?"

This was a question I would regularly get while installing and maintaining tanks. For the last decade, I've largely worked in homes and businesses on the East Coast inside other people's aquariums. If you know any mechanics, they probably drive a beater. Likewise, the sandwich artists at Subway reach for anything but a sandwich for their own lunch. The last thing I wanted to do after cleaning fish tanks for hours at work was to come home and clean another. And so, I didn't have a tank that was mine for a very long time.

Filling Alexandria Renew's 7,000g Native Freshwater Display

alexfill.jpg

Last summer I moved back to Phoenix. This is the place I first took a step into the hobby, after watching a reef episode of Tanked back in 2012. I got my first industry job here at an LFS (now gone) named AquaTouch. I briefly grappled with starting an aquarium service company or joining one of the many existing teams in the valley. Instead, I accepted an opportunity at Neptune Systems to provide remote support for Apex controllers. While the work suits me well, it has left my hands dry for a while. Long enough that having an aquarium (or aquariums?) of my own became an exciting idea again. And I needed somewhere to put all this gear I was collecting.

So I went spelunking in my storage for gear.
I found a 5g Glass Tank. The perfect size for a desk.
I found an old Eheim Skim350 (fantastic surface skimming internal pump) and I found a working H80 from a client's tank teardown - with a gooseneck!
The LED was previously used in a refugium but would make a fantastic primary light for a nano-sized planted tank.
I've worked on many freshwater planted tanks, but I've never owned one. A quick trip to an LFS (Kona Reef) for some Seiryu stone and a bag of CaribSea Eco-Complete and this adventure was started.

new.jpg

The following day I went to a couple of other LFS (Aquarium Arts & OnlyFins) to kill some time. I ended up taking home my first few plants: a Ludwigia, a Vallisneria, and a Nymphaea Red Tiger Lotus. I'm not sure the taller plants will remain long-term, but the Tiger Lotus is quickly growing on me. And on the substrate. Regarding the substrate - I'm still in the air. The eco-complete looks fine, but the more uniform pellets (like the ones from ADA) are still an option. Because the volume of the tank is small, we can make some drastic changes with little work or money down the road. Here is our first set of FTS! Dosing 1Cap of Brightwell FlorinBacter7 each night.

Angle-1.jpg
fts-2.jpg
Angle-2.jpg
fts-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's Take Control.

This wouldn't feel like my aquarium until I added a controller. But, let's be plain: a 5g tank - a nano tank - any tank doesn't need an aquarium controller. But they are sweet.

So, I added an A1 ApexJr. These are often mistakenly referred to as EB4s now, but they have an Apex Base Unit built into the body of the EB4 and are an ideal solution for nano systems. They have some drawbacks compared to other Apex systems, though. For us, that's going to be the lack of on-board 1-10v variable speed ports and a pH port. We're going to want both (for controlling the Kessil and our CO2 system.)

Apex.jpg

I'm going to start with the A1 ApexJr and a used VDM I picked up locally. The VDM's status light doesn't function, and the PCB has worked loose from the casing but those are both fixable and ignorable problems. A little hot glue fixed the free-floating PCB and I feel comfortable ignoring the lack of Status light for now. I ordered a Kessil-to-Apex Cable from BRS in anticipation of picking up the VDM, so I began setting up the Apex.

Fusion.png

Speaking of CO2 systems. I've never owned one. After some brief research, the solution that seemed to fit my situation was a "CO2 Generator" system utilizing Citric Acid and Baking Soda in a canister equipped with a solenoid (so we can control it through the Apex.) Amazon provided the CLSea G700S and 5lbs of each reagent for just under $200.

co2.jpg

Today's FTS after installing CO2.
Tank has been running a full week now.

post2-fts-1.jpg

post2-fts-2.jpg

post2-fts-3.jpg

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one worthwhile contribution I can make in this forum is to show how I use the Apex. I find that most people underutilize their Apex System, because they don't know what's possible.

Let's walk through how I programmed my Kessil H80.
The Kessil connects to the Apex using a cable in the 10v port of our VDM.
One channel in the cable controls the Intensity, while the other control the Spectrum.
In Fusion, these channels in the 10v port are represented by two Dashboard Tiles:

1.png

Both Tiles have a Wizard that allows you to create a curve using specified times and % values.
Here is our Intensity channel (Kessil_INT) currently running an ambitious 11 hour schedule:

2.png

And our Spectrum channel (Kessil_CLR)
0 Represents Blue, while 100 Represents Red

3.png

This will give me dramatic sunrises and sunsets - appropriate for a tank in the valley.
I've also setup a set of Virtual Outlets for the spectrums identified by Kessil as a feature of the H80.

4.png

These are: Blue, Grow, Bloom, & Red.

5.png

The first step in utilizing these Virtual Outlets is to create Profiles for the Kessil H80.

blue.png

grow.png

bloom.png

red.png

Once we've created all 4 Profiles, we can go back into the Configuration Page of the Kessil_CLR 10v Output, Choose the Advanced Tab under Configuration View, and add our Virtual Outlet lines.

ad.config.clr.png

You can see here an additional way to utilize a Virtual Output (named Maintenance) by directly setting the value of Kessil_CLR Output to 45%. There is a paired command in Kessil_INT for 90% - setting the H80 to a bright neutral color for better algae spotting.

8.png

ad.confi.intr.png

To wrap up, we've programmed our Kessil H80 to follow a daily schedule and set up a set of 5 Virtual Outlets - One for each predefined Spectrum Profile and one for Maintenance - and then tied those Virtual Outlets to our Kessil Outputs.

I will consider modifying this further in the future. Some example features we might want to add: reacting to physical push-buttons, lighting schedule changes for weekends, Red Light alarm integration, or pseudorandom weather events!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae started to develop on the plants so I'm cutting our ambitious lighting schedule down and squishing our intensity curve.

Old Intensity
old.png

New Intensity
new.png

I plan to adjust the lighting schedule further this weekend (and make some new additions to our equipment list!)

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weekday and Weekend Lighting Schedules

(You can skip this post if you're not interested in Apex Programming)
First, here is a breakdown of our Weekday Lighting Schedule:

Intensity
08:00 0%
10:30 30%
12:00 65%
14:00 80%
16:00 65%
17:30 30%
20:00 0%

Color
10:30 60%
12:00 30%
16:00 30%
17:30 60%

Visualized through the Scheduler:

Visualize1.png

Second, this is a breakdown of our desired Weekend Lighting Schedule:

Intensity
10:00 0%
12:30 30%
14:00 65%
16:00 80%
18:00 65%
19:30 30%
22:00 0%

Color
12:30 60%
14:00 30%
18:00 30%
19:30 60%

Visualized through the Scheduler:

Visualize2.png

To accomplish this, we'll need to use a set of Profiles and Virtual Outputs.

Profile 1: Wknd_Dawn 150m 0-30%
Profile 2: Wknd_RmpUp 90m 30-65%
Profile 3: Wknd_DayUp 120m 65-80%
Profile 4: Wknd_DayDwn 120m 80-65%
Profile 5: Wknd_RmpDwn 90m 65-30%
Profile 6: Wknd_Dusk 150m 30-0%
Profile 7: Wknd_ClrUp 90m 60-30%
Profile 8: Wknd_ClrDwn 90m 30-60%

Virtual Outlet 1: Wknd_1000
Virtual Outlet 2: Wknd_1230
Virtual Outlet 3: Wknd_1400
Virtual Outlet 4: Wknd_1600
Virtual Outlet 5: Wknd_1800
Virtual Outlet 6: Wknd_1930

Let's define all 8 Profiles:

Profile1.png

Profile2.png

Profile3.png

Profile4.png

Profile5.png

Profile6.png

Profile7.png

Profile8.png

We also need to break our Weekend into sections of time to associate with the ramp profiles. These are the 6 Virtual Outlets I've created:

Virtual1.png

Virtual2.png

Virtual3.png

Virtual4.png

Virtual5.png

Virtual6.png

Finally, we can go back into the Configuration Page of both Kessil_INT & Kessil_CLR Outputs, Choose the Advanced Tab under Configuration View, and add our Virtual Outlet lines. We need to make clever use of how the Apex will evaluate the code (from top to bottom, with the final line that's true being the state the outlet is set to.)

AdvancedConfig1.png

AdvancedConfig2.png

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't liked the Caribsea Eco-Complete in this tank, aesthetically. It reminds me a bit too much of a saltwater tank substrate.

Today I made a drastic shift, replacing it with AquaVitro's Aquasolum Black Humate.
I took the opportunity to remove the Val & Ludwigia (which had started rooting heavily) and settle on some long-term plants. For now, I've kept the Red Tiger Lotus but I've become aware of its tendency to dominate a tank.

I visited a freshwater-exclusive LFS today: Plants & Fins. The enthusiastic employee managing the plant section seemed very comfortable with stocking nano tanks so I let him guide me to some Anubias nana, Crypt parva, Buce theia red, and some water spangles. I haven't quite got a solution worked out for keeping the water spangles out of the Eheim Skim350.

Some Aquasolum, rearranged stones, glued rhizomes, reconfigured cords... It's a major directional change. I'm hopeful that I'm making some right decisions now that will avoid continuously uprooting the system in the future.

Photos tomorrow once everything has settled.

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was clear this morning so I took a few photos.

I think the hardscape is worse now, but, with the clever addition of a piece of spider wood I think I can make it work in the future. I'll look for the right piece next weekend.

FTS-1.jpg

FTS-2.jpg

Angle-1.jpg

Angle-2.jpg

Angle-3.jpg

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think my inexperience with plants led to the red tiger lotus drying out too much during the substrate change. Yesterday I woke up to a cloudy tank and a melty lotus (now removed.) Lesson learned.

After a 75% water change (RO/DI - Remineralizer from Aquaforest on the way) I unwrapped the new gear that showed up in the mail.

NewGear.jpg

A custom 3d-printed magnetic probe rack and a break-out-box, both purchased from SmartReefIntegration
Extremely happy with the quality of these. I wired up a set of probes to the Apex PM1, calibrated, and routed them to the tank.

probes.installed.jpg

probes.installed2.jpg

So far, the microbubbles from the CO2 diffuser don't seem to be an issue, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Combined with the Temperature Probe connected to the ApexJr Base Unit, we now have three Tiles on our Fusion Dashboard showing and charting probe values.

Dashboard.png

While we're on the topic... my Controller and equipment cord mess is starting to get unruly, wedged between an IKEA Alex drawer and my desk tabletop.

wide.shot.jpg

I have a sort-of ill-defined plan of purchasing another Alex drawer and setting them side-by-side together against the end of the tabletop. Instead of the bottom 4 drawers that the kit comes with, I'd use the drawer faces to create a faux-front so they look the same - but the new one would be empty on the inside for mounting a controller board and storing the CO2 system, with grommets in the back for tidy cords.

Current Setup:

wide.shot2.jpg

Visualized using state-of-the-art technology:

HighFidelityGraphics.png

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun setup! I think this might be the first time I have seen an apex on such a small freshwater tank!

A couple of thoughts, you will want to make sure your light is kept fairly low compared to a reef tank or refugium. 100 par at substrate should be about max if you are growing high light plants as a beginner. Currently all your plants are low light, so really you should be aiming for around 25 to 40 par at substrate level. Photoperiod should be no more than 8 hours (can be broken up if you want).

I would definitely add a bunch more plants. Either more crypts or some stems if you want to mix it up a bit.

You will want to keep an eye on your KH and pH since that seiryu stone will be dissolving in your tank constantly making your water harder.

For that reason as well as general good maintenance, you will definitely need to be doing 50+ % water changes once a week.

You will also need to be using a complete fertilizer if you haven't started already. My personal favorite is nilocg thrive but aquarium co-op easy green is another good option.

Good luck!

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I greatly appreciate the advice @minorhero

Armed with an Apogee, I plotted the PAR during my workday using the current lighting curve and H80:
We peak at 40 Par, but spend the majority of the day between 20-30.

PAR.jpg

10am: 20PAR
11am: 25PAR
Noon: 30PAR
01pm: 35PAR
02pm: 40PAR
03pm: 35PAR
04pm: 30PAR
05pm: 25PAR
06pm: 20PAR

I did attempt to check the pH and KH, but my kits are for saltwater so the resolution isn't ideal.
The Apex reporting between 6 and 7pH throughout the Day appears accurate, though. I will pick up some FW kits when I'm able.

I've begun using a bit of AquaForest Remineralizer with my 60% Weekend Water Change.
I also have fertilizer from AquaForest en route (Can you guess which brand I can use my employee discount on?)
500mL of AF Macro, AF Micro, and AF Carbon Boost should arrive later today.

I scooted over to my LFS (Plants & Fins) after work yesterday for additional plants. I bought too many. 5g is small and after struggling and getting frustrated with hardscape, my struggles doubled trying to fit everything in. I'm pretty unhappy with how it turned out, but that's part of the process. I know what techniques eventually worked well, what didn't, what the pain points are, and what I might like to try out in the future.

struggle.jpg

Cotton balls and liquid CA are goated for gluing hardscape. I'm not entirely sure I *want* to glue my hardscape, but I did and this was by far the most effective method. Where globs of CA gel just made a mess of the surfaces, the reaction that occurs between the cotton and glue held fast. It also burns pretty bad so wearing some nitrile gloves next time is probably the move.

I'll try and get some photos up later today, but expect to see a lot of glue and badly attached plants.

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking About the Future

I think it's worth exploring splitting this project in two or upgrading to something easier to work in.
Long term, I was planning on replacing this tank with a small UNS (still a nano/pico but with a larger footprint for scaping and planting.) I have a third Apex system not doing anything - so I don't necessarily need to break down this tank, either.

My tentative plans for this tank:
5g moved to rolling cart, with H80, A1 ApexJr, & VDM. Hardscape swapped out for something more appropriate to the scale, with hearty stem plants and java ferns. Eventually a betta or shrimp. This becomes the "cart pico" and sits on the 28"x18" cart top with equipment stashed inside.

cart.jpg

What do we lose from this tank?
CO2. That's going to make the most dramatic difference between the two, I think. I would lose the PM1, leaving a single in-tank temperature probe from the Base Unit, and keep the VDM to control the Kessil.

It will take some time to make this transition and bring the UNS online and I plan to take it relatively slow.
Until it's ready, this tank will continue its current trajectory. Here are some photos from this morning:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

over.jpg

OP
OP
BadCrab

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first new components for the upgrade/tank split have started arriving with a lighting box from Bulk Reef Supply.

The new UNS will have a proper freshwater LED. The current H80 was intended for horticulture or refugium lighting and leaves a lot to be desired when viewing or photographing the tank.

brs.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back