chasing4rabbits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a very tiny protein skimmer for my 15 gallon nano tank and was wondering how often to run it? The collection cup is pretty small so I’d have to empty it every hour or so if I kept it running constantly. I just don’t get how to run this thing 24 hours a day. Or do I even need to?

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do weekly water changes I wouldn’t use a skimmer.
But everyone has different ideas
Some people run an air line which is attached to the bottom of your cup and it drains into a juice bottle so you only empty that every week or two. Once your skimmer is broke in and skimming after so long it probably won’t produce a lot of skim also are you going wet skim or dry. Wet skim will produce more skim just things to think about. Other members will chime in and give info . Good luck going forward

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New proteins skimmer= needs break in time. Its very common for the next 48 hours to constantly overflow. Adjust the settings to where its just forming bubbles midway but not hitting the very top to spill over. Let it run for 48 hours. Then adjust slowly. Also it can be overflowing depending on water quality. Which will just break it in faster.

It should have a tube sticking out on the side. Let it just runoff back in the tank until you dial it in. Depending on adjustability. You can run it dry or wet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chasing4rabbits

chasing4rabbits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people run an air line which is attached to the bottom of your cup and it drains into a juice bottle so you only empty that every week or two. Once your skimmer is broke in and skimming after so long it probably won’t produce a lot of skim also are you going wet skim or dry. Wet skim will produce more skim just things to think about. Other members will chime in and give info . Good luck going forward
So what you’re saying is now I don’t have to do weekly water changes… :)

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I asked if you’re doing weekly water changes if so you’re diluting your nutrients in the water. But this is only my opinion. If you want to run your skimmer feel free. It ends up being your decision skimmer or not and 12 hours a day or 24 it’s your choice

Upvote 0

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers and water changes have some overlap in purposes, but not entirely (for example, skimmers don't help to replenish trace elements/Ca/alk; WCs don't help to aerate; skimmers can't be used to fine tune salinity). So the 'either/or' theory has some problems.

I would run a skimmer 24/7 unless there is some reason not to (such as nutrients bottoming out).

If the cup is filling that quickly, the skimmer isn't broken in or isn't adjusted properly. Some skimmers are more trouble to adjust properly than they're worth, and those are best replaced with a better skimmer.

Running a wet-running skimmer into a drain bucket can have negative consequences if it runs too much tank water out, so take a look at the whole setup to see what the negative effects would be if the skimmer really skims too much liquid out.

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back