24 hour lighting

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @hart24601 , yes I totally agree that there seems to be confusion sometimes when the Calvin Cycle refers to "Dark Reactions" which for me personally are easier to remember as Light Independent reactions. As I understand it, instead of requiring darkness it simply means it does not require light.

Great to see @Dana Riddle join in the discussion. That is one of the things I love about this forum. To have access to the knowledge of such highly qualified and experienced members of our reefing community. Dana`s comment re reproduction cycle in certain coral Sp. and the effects of the lunar cycle, has motivated me to do a little more reading into Jamie Craggs work at the Horniman Museum. I am now intrigued to see what data Jamie published with regards Lunar Lighting and Dark Periods.

Great looking Reef Tank by the way. Best wishes from across the pond :)
Cindy Hunter has dome some work with coral reproduction timing and its relationship to lunar cycles. Janie Craggs is probably the premier researcher, SECORE is doing important work, as are some public aquaria. Keep us posted please - I have too many projects going and can't lose focus on those. This might be of interest:
Forsman, Z.H., B.K. Kimokeo, C.E. Bird, C.L. Hunter, and R.J. Toonen. 2012. Coral farming: effects of light, water motion, and artificial foods. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 92(4): 721-729.
I'll try to find the Hunter reference on corals/lunar cycles. In a nutshell, length of photoperiod is the trigger, some require lunar light, and some just don't care.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @hart24601 , yes I totally agree that there seems to be confusion sometimes when the Calvin Cycle refers to "Dark Reactions" which for me personally are easier to remember as Light Independent reactions. As I understand it, instead of requiring darkness it simply means it does not require light.

Great to see @Dana Riddle join in the discussion. That is one of the things I love about this forum. To have access to the knowledge of such highly qualified and experienced members of our reefing community. Dana`s comment re reproduction cycle in certain coral Sp. and the effects of the lunar cycle, has motivated me to do a little more reading into Jamie Craggs work at the Horniman Museum. I am now intrigued to see what data Jamie published with regards Lunar Lighting and Dark Periods.

Great looking Reef Tank by the way. Best wishes from across the pond :)
Here you go:
Hunter, C., 1988. Environmental cues controlling spawning in two Hawaiian corals Montipora verrucosa and M. dilatata. Proc. 6th Int. Coral Reef Symp., Australia. 2:727-732.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dana, its midnight here in the UK so I will have read in the morning with my coffee. Much appreciated.:)

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of blue moon lights programmed on a reefkeeper lite that mimics the lunar cycle. So some nights are completely dark and some nights kinda of bright (full moon). Not sure it makes any difference, but seems more natural to me and may enhance spawning behavior in my cardinal fish and royal grammas.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During night when the sky is clear the moon light can be very bright. Sometime you will be surprised to see how strong the lights are. However because it is reflection from the moon there is little heat. I think 5% or lower is good for a reef tank in the night.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back