240 Gallon Stocking Help

Fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with experience fish stocking have advice for my tank?

240 gallon 8'x2'x2'

I currently have the following fish:

1 engineer goby
5 lyretail anthias
1 Blonde Naso sm
1 Blue Tang sm
1 Sailfin Tang med
1 Yellow Tang lg
1 sailfin fairy wrasse
1 orangeback fairy wrasse
1 solan head fairy wrasse
1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
1 Blue/green cromis
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Foxface Lo
1 Spotbreast Angelfish

Looking to Add:

1 convict Tang
1 tomini tang
1 melanerus wrasse
1 carpenter flasher wrasse
1 bicolor blenny
Pair of Bluethroat Triggers
4 Bimac Anthias
1 Red scooter dragonet

Think this is doable and still keep Nutrients down?
If it isn't which ones would be the first to take off the list?

Thanks!!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

240 gallon 8'x2'x2'

1 engineer goby
5 lyretail anthias
1 Blonde Naso sm
1 Blue Tang sm
1 Sailfin Tang med
1 Yellow Tang lg
1 sailfin fairy wrasse
1 Blue/green cromis
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Foxface Lo
1 Spotbreast Angelfish

Looking to Add:

1 convict Tang
1 tomini tang
1 melanerus wrasse
1 bicolor blenny
4 Bimac Anthias
1 Red scooter dragonet

Thanks!!
Because so many of our mandarin/dragonets starve, and because everyone else on your existing fish list is a great eater - 1 sailfin or 1 wrasse alone is too much for mandarin/dragonet competition - here is a link that may help you with supplemental feeding if you decide to go ahead anyhow:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thanks-paulb-mandarin-feeder.263752/

Individual fish and how established and how territorial each becomes is too hard to guess... just have a backup plan B (acclimation box, mirrors, etc etc)

My sailfin and yellow tangs were such Death Dealers that my BF said we'd never again try to introduce any more new fish EVER. Instead, I got busy and found a magnetized acclimation box that can more into all areas - up / down / left / right / middles of tank territories so I could successfully introduce new fish. Hang on side acclimation box was insufficient as new fish wouldn't understand existing fish would ONLY let new fish swim where it had swum inside HOS acclimation box - everywhere else was attacks until moved to QT for healing, return to acclimation box, release, free swimming led to attacks, repeat... UGH... was horrible. Octo Aquatics The Shu in large size with 1 removable divider really helped me and my tank out.

Wishing you much luck!! Keep us posted

wishing you much success ...

Jbritt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

240 gallon 8'x2'x2'

1 engineer goby
5 lyretail anthias
1 Blonde Naso sm
1 Blue Tang sm
1 Sailfin Tang med
1 Yellow Tang lg
1 sailfin fairy wrasse
1 Blue/green cromis
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Foxface Lo
1 Spotbreast Angelfish

Looking to Add:

1 convict Tang
1 tomini tang
1 melanerus wrasse
1 bicolor blenny
4 Bimac Anthias
1 Red scooter dragonet

Thanks!!

Jbritt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of small guys. I think you have room for a Tang or two…… ? I like the blu throat pair also. I would try to get at least on more Tang or that Trigger pair.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

240 gallon 8'x2'x2'

1 engineer goby
5 lyretail anthias
1 Blonde Naso sm
1 Blue Tang sm
1 Sailfin Tang med
1 Yellow Tang lg
1 sailfin fairy wrasse
1 Blue/green cromis
1 Mandarin Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Foxface Lo
1 Spotbreast Angelfish

Looking to Add:

1 convict Tang
1 tomini tang
1 melanerus wrasse
1 bicolor blenny
4 Bimac Anthias
1 Red scooter dragonet

Thanks!!
To me, that’s already stocked completely - You have to let the fish grow out, Sailfins get to a max of 16”, Nasos get to a max of 18”, Blues get to a max of 12”.
If you add a carpenters.. It’ll be beaten on by the other wrasse and the tangs. Other thing with carpenters is that they are VERY shy and the other wrasse already in there are on the more aggressive side of that family. A melanurus wrasse may work, however it will outcompete the mandarin.
take off the convict and tomini if you wanted them then they should’ve gone in first before the Blue, yellow and sailfin. I say that because they are two VERY peaceful fish and the Convict doesn’t actually have the scalpel that the other tangs have so they should always go in the tank first before other aggressive tangs are added.
Get rid of the trigger pair, they will probably beat on the wrasse and dragonets in there. The bicolor may work but will most likely be beaten on by the tangs and other aggressive fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have three Tangs that will get pretty big and the Foxface is also a fish that grows big. The Tomini is a smaller Tang, the Convict too if I’m correct. Pair of Bluethroat Triggers will also be fairly high bioload fish and they aren’t exactly small fish either. I’m not an expert on wrasses, but if I had to choose, I’d drop the Blonde Naso and Sailfin Tangs, choose between the Tomini or the Convict, and put in the pair of Triggers if you really want them. Or ditch the Sailfin and Blonde Naso and get the Tomini and Convict but I wouldn’t put another pair of active and high bioload fish.

What’s your aquascape like? I’d be worried that with so many large fish they won’t have enough spots to sleep and not enough space to develop territories.

I heard Bluethroat Triggers, even male ones, can revert to females over time. Not really sure why this happens, but generally they also aren’t collected at smaller sizes.

I’d opt for the Convict and Tomini Tang and not the Triggers, and maybe find a different kind of Genicanthus angel or pair your Swallowtail.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have three Tangs that will get pretty big and the Foxface is also a fish that grows big. The Tomini is a smaller Tang, the Convict too if I’m correct. Pair of Bluethroat Triggers will also be fairly high bioload fish and they aren’t exactly small fish either. I’m not an expert on wrasses, but if I had to choose, I’d drop the Blonde Naso and Sailfin Tangs, choose between the Tomini or the Convict, and put in the pair of Triggers if you really want them. Or ditch the Sailfin and Blonde Naso and get the Tomini and Convict but I wouldn’t put another pair of active and high bioload fish.

What’s your aquascape like? I’d be worried that with so many large fish they won’t have enough spots to sleep and not enough space to develop territories.

I heard Bluethroat Triggers, even male ones, can revert to females over time. Not really sure why this happens, but generally they also aren’t collected at smaller sizes.

I’d opt for the Convict and Tomini Tang and not the Triggers, and maybe find a different kind of Genicanthus angel or pair your Swallowtail.
Even with the blue still in there, adding another tang (Tomini or Convict) she will be aggressive and very aggressive at that. With wrasse - Don’t add any more, the three in there will be aggressive and the ones they want.. will be bullied by almost any large and aggressive fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didn’t realize Blue Tangs could be so aggressive. I’ve never been too big a fan of them, would rather have smaller species.
Yeah, same here. I have a C. binotatus and would love either A. triostegus or A. achilles

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Do you have any plans for a bigger setup? How’s your Binotatus does it eat well?
The Binotatus is around 2.5”-3” and eats perfectly for me, I have a 4x2 with an 18” (Or so) depth at the moment and have plans to go a bit deeper and have an extra foot of space so around about a 5x2x2. There’s more information on my tank in my second Build thread (Unfortunately the one I have at the moment under my name is the nano build)

Back