240 mixed reef parameters drops

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 900 xl mixed reef mainly lps some frag sps. Parameters are all good except alk is dropping like crazy. I hooked up a kalk stirrer and dosing 5600 ml a day and still drops. I'm not needing to use my ato because this amount of kalk is equivalent to my daily evaporation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try Randy's baked baking soda to get it back up to normal and let the kalk keep it there. Or it might be time for a calcium reactor

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try Randy's baked baking soda to get it back up to normal and let the kalk keep it there. Or it might be time for a calcium reactor
Yeah I dose it manually morning noon and night and run the kalk but it still drops. Its not that stocked with coral .

Attachments

• 900 xl red sea.jpg
    900 xl red sea.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 41

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dose it manually morning noon and night and run the kalk but it still drops. Its not that stocked with coral .
Are you totally sure your doing the alk test correctly? I.e., your not reading the test back to front, if it’s a titration test etc.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly .75 - 1.0
Are you totally sure your doing the alk test correctly? I.e., your not reading the test back to front, if it’s a titration test etc.
Yeah, I use the red sea, hanna checker and apex neptune and all are dropping

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity can be consumed even if your tank has no corals in it. Its a major component of all kinds of biology that consumes it other than coral. Calcium however is only consumed by hard corals, Typically as your tank matures this will stabilize.

Use common baking soda to correct this. Online reef calculator will tell you how much. Cheap and easy solution. Do not be suckered into buying a two part.

If you use kalk to correct alk you may end up in a high calcium scenario. Just use baking soda to correct the difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity can be consumed even if your tank has no corals in it. Its a major component of all kinds of biology that consumes it other than coral. Calcium however is only consumed by hard corals, Typically as your tank matures this will stabilize.

Not true. You are grossly misleading people.

Other than the conversion of ammonia to nitrate, and sulfur denitrators, can you identify any of the " all kinds of biology that consumes it "?

Please back up these unsubstantiated assertions.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. You are grossly misleading people.

Other than the conversion of ammonia to nitrate, and sulfur denitrators, can you identify any of the " all kinds of biology that consumes it "?

Please back up these unsubstantiated assertions.
Thank you Randy for your help, I'm pretty new at this but am anal about doing things right. Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so having alkalinity go up and down during the day isn't hard on the coral

Depends on the dose. If the bumps are , say, 0.2 dKH, it is unlikely to be a problem. if it is 2 dKH, then yes, spread it out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back