OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we not have a clean up crew. Got some snails, 2 emerald crabs, and about 10 hermits. Currently I am working on getting the QT tanks up and running so that I can get some livestock in them while I get the canopy finished. Still battling with Nitrates a bit, and the chaeto has only gotten smaller. Have seen some pods on the glass, some spiroid worms on the glass, and some hydroid jellies as well. Enough babble for now here are some pics. Sorry for the dirty glass

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6624.JPG

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6697.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6724.JPG

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big weekend for the tank! I picked up a used Gen4 Eshopps S300 for a killer deal from one of the local LFS. This thing is a beast. Already putting in some work, but of course has overflowed a time or two as well. Either way great deal on a good skimmer. I decided to skip building a canopy, and hung my 32" Pro timer SBReef lights. It's like a completely different tank with these lights. It's amazing how much better the tank looks with these. Once I got those all setup I decided to setup my Avast marine ATO to ensure the water level stays pretty consistent with the skimmer running.

I am still battling nitrates a bit, but I think the skimmer will help bring them down and I plan for a large water change this week. With all that has taken place I will be ready for coral in no time. Tomorrow on my way from work I am picking up a Royal Gramma for QT.

Skimmer (1).jpg

Skimmer (2).jpg

Skimmer (3).jpg

new lights (1).jpg

new lights (2).jpg

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed in the tank itself. Little bit of algae growing with the new lights on, but otherwise all is good. Still super stoked about how much different the tank looks being properly lit.

I have a royal Gramma in QT now that is doing well it seems.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has happened since last update. Got the skimmer tuned in and running good. Royal Gramma in QT finishes TTM today. I got some stuff to setup a nice electrical panel for all my stuff to get it off the ground and organized. Hoping to get the Coral QT up and running this weekend, and also get a cleaner shrimp into QT

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since an update, and things have been moving!

First up I got my electrical panel up. It's not pretty, but it gets things off the floor and a bit more organized. Plenty of space to add to it later as well. The equipment room is looking decent, but I am always reorganzing and trying to make it better.

Elec panel.jpg

Equip Room.jpg

Then I got my coral QT up and running. It's a 20gal Long with an SBReef light. I have a tank for long term fish QT, but I am thinking of downsizing a bit. It's a 65gal, but doing the water changes in this tank when medicating etc will get costly I think, and I don't think I will ever need a tank this big for hospital tank. Planning to step down to a 40B.

Coral QT.jpg

Then I GOT CORAL! I decided it is time to get some coral in the QT. Planning the 72 day QT. I have WWC Darth Maul Zoas, WWC Watermelon Zoas, Keds Reds Zoa, Green Palythoa, Ultra Ricordea, WWC purple watermelon chalice, Hawkeye Cyphastrea, and a decent size rock of GSP. Everything seems to be doing well so far, but it's still really early.

Corals.jpg

I currently have a pink spot goby and a tiger pistol going through TTM, and they doing well. They partnered up fast, and are always doing something goofy. I also added a fire shrimp to the DT after a good molt in QT. Going today to get another cleaner shrimp as the tangs seem to fight over whose turn it is.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share some details about your sump? Its 110 gallons and segmented by light difuser?

The sump is a 110gal tub/tank. I have it filled just under half way with about 18.5" of water which is perfect for the skimmer. The light difuser is only in place to keep the chaeto from being able to move around the entire sump. The entire bottom of the sump is covered in LR except the chaeto area, the skimmer footprint, and the return pump foot print.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone through some changes and have been fighting some battles since the last post. I had some issues with dino's and decided that I needed more flow to help get rid of the algae. I wasn't pleased with the flow pattern I was getting from the powerheads anyhow. I bought 2 icecap gyre 3k, and am running them opposite ends of the tank on random flow each going up to 50% max. I aimed one side slightly up to generate some turbulent surface and one side slightly down on each gyre. it took me awhile to get things dialed in, but I think I have really nailed it. The algae is under control, and the flow in the tank is random and not blowing sand all over.

Been a few creatures added. Just added a Starry blenny finally and it has stolen the show. Always up to something and very interested in the wife and I.

Biggest news here is that it is officially a reef tank! I finally had my first corals ready to come out of QT and into the tank. I added a decent size piece of GSP, a WWC purple watermelon chalice, WWC hawkeye cyphastrea, an ultra ricordea, some green paly's, god of war zoas, and another set of WWC zoas I can't remember right now.

Tank 2 June 17 (1).jpg

Tank 2 June 17 (2).jpg

Tank 2 June 17 (3).jpg

Tank 2 June 17 (4).jpg

Tank 2 June 17 (5).jpg

Tank 2 June 17 (6).jpg

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update on. Coral in the tank seems to be doing well. Had a sudden outbreak of cyano, and did a custom program on my gyres. Hopefully it will take care of the issue. More coral going in at the end of the month

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems to finally be striving again. I had a fight with some cyano, but got it under control once I added the new wavemakers. I redid the programming on the gyres and things seem to be doing well. Most of the corals is growing and happy. I forgot to mention I got some custom made tops from Octo Aquatics, and they are pretty nice. Do a good job keeping the creatures in the tank, and look pretty good doing it. As always there is coral in QT. Here are some random pics.

Blenny.jpg

Chalice.jpg

FrogSpawn.jpg

GSP.jpg

Mandarin.jpg

Pink acans.jpg

Platy.jpg

Shroom.jpg

Wrasse.jpg

Top.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back