24g AIO Anemone tank

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is my wife and I's first tank together. I bought this for her as an early Christmas present in 2019 (by early however I mean early October). I knew it would take some work so I didn't want to just spring it on her. Additionally, since I had done enough research to know that I had to 'cycle' the tank and thus could not just through rock, sand, water, fish and coral in at the same day, I told her that we should be able to add some stuff by Thanksgiving (maybe some fish), and then once really fully cycled we should be able to add coral in December (hence... holiday).. and we'd be able to shop on coral together.

Come late December... we had filled it completely.. and I mean COMPLETELY. No room to grow. We were ADDICTED to the hobby in the worst (or is that BEST?) way possible. SO, our first tank lasted 3 months. ... ... and we bought the 90 gallon tank. A LOT of the coral in the 90 gallon tank came from this one once it too had cycled.

My wife (Stacey), LOVES anemones.. well, to be honest, I do too, but I'll be real, it was HER Christmas present. Despite warnings of not having enough time and experience in reefing, she bought one.. and we chased it around the tank as it stung corals. It dang near died, we studied and nursed it to health for 2 months in it's own acclimation box. It survived, and I'm happy to say it's the green bubble tip (called MT. Dew).. has striking greens, a DEEP PINK foot, and orange tips. THIS WEEKEND, (of the post) it budded for it's first off spring.

It's an Aquatop. We've modified the back attached sump area to have a small refugium. We've upgraded all the media to be better. We use a cobalt heater. An AI 16 light with mount.

We have 2 small clownfish in right now (likely not pictured). And we have 5 more same size in quarantine that will be added next weekend.

Both tanks 1.jpg anemone tank front 1.jpg anemone tank side 1.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes - bubble tips are like rabbits - once start - never stop. But a wall of bubble tips (even if they not show the bubbles) is a great experiences. Once i saw a tank in a public aquarium - maybe 2500 l - so full of anemones that you only see anemones - and between their tentacles, clownfish, clownfish and clownfish. Beautiful tank - indeed

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated tank. Added 7 clown fish of several boutique varieties after their respective quarantine. Also bought some relatively cheap zoas to create a garden on the front rock edge facing front.

To the right front corner, we purchased a mushroom rock (several varieties there)... it was gifted to us after we had to put down our 17.5 year old mini-dachsund

NEM TANK BEST3.jpg NEM TANK BEST2.jpg

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated tank. Added 7 clown fish of several boutique varieties after their respective quarantine. Also bought some relatively cheap zoas to create a garden on the front rock edge facing front.

To the right front corner, we purchased a mushroom rock (several varieties there)... it was gifted to us after we had to put down our 17.5 year old mini-dachsund

NEM TANK BEST3.jpg NEM TANK BEST2.jpg
How is the tank coming along. Looking to do something similar.

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy the anemone online?
Local fish store. My wife got lucky with three rbta as the store was going out of business/retiring and COVID pushed him to do it, but as such we bought each bubble tip for $60 per.
I later added a green carpet. I got this cheap too because everyone is paying a lot for the blue and red ones.

I've taken better photos but have not updated. We also bought a member's used 50g cube and upgraded. I really need to get on it and update the build. We love it.

Lastly, we had another break out of some fish disease PRIOR to adding the UV sterilizer. This killed 5 of the clown fish. That being said, we have our clown fish hosting in the carpet. We also purchased a small (very small) porcupine puffer. He's being hand fed and trained. We are going to add a 180g tank to our repertoire soon, so when he grows, he'll have the space he needs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back