25 Gal Lagoon Frag - Fish?

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am getting ready to setup a IM 25 Lagoon as a frag / grow out tank.

I would like to add a fish or two for movement, and to control pests & algae. The tank will be bare bottom, but I plan on adding a few chunks of LR to one side to seed the tank, and give some hiding spots.

For pests, I prefer Pink streaked wrasse, but those have been hard to find. Would a sixline wrasse be the next best option?
For algae, any thoughts? Should I just go with a CUC or is there a fish that would be good, and would not get bullied by the sixline?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You doing bare bottom or sand ? In my bare bottom frag tank I use a mix of trochus, astrea, margarita, and turbo snails as well as tuxedo urchins to clean any algae... I have 2 clowns and a royal gramma in there thinking about a wrasse but decided to go with a 3 phase dipping regimen in a little 2 gallon hospital tank it’s been working well... the six line might be your best bet however it can get to be a jerk... you can try wrasses in the same family as the radiant and yellow coris, however they have a habit of picking at your inverts

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted if its ok to put a six like wrasse in my 20g long and everyones freaking out saying its too small. There saying minimum of 55gallon!!! Just wondering if you got the wrasse and how hes doing.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted if its ok to put a six like wrasse in my 20g long and everyones freaking out saying its too small. There saying minimum of 55gallon!!! Just wondering if you got the wrasse and how hes doing.
By everyone you mean one person making that suggestion? And a couple saying that it’d need larger if you’re relying on pods. Main point is aggression with other fish.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pretty good advice so far. IMO -- even in this smallish tank -- the more working and pooping fish the better. The constant microdosing of ammonia they provide is an ideal food source for coral.

A bare bottom 20 won't be hard to keep clean either.

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not gotten the six-line yet. Only a small clownfish in there at the moment. I may add a six-line if I start to see pests, and once the clown is a bit bigger.
For CUC, I have a turbo , a few trochus, and a couple hermits. This is my first bare bottom, and I am shocked how much snail poop is left over. The turbo leaves a trail of pellets as it moves through the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back