25 Gallon Caribbean Reef

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I recently broke down a larger aquarium that was running for many years. I decided to go quite a bit smaller for the new tank, and went with an IM 25 lagoon. I liked the idea of having an all in one style tank, since it is in the living room. This is not a crazy high tech build, nor will I have crazy rare or expensive corals. My goal for this tank is to replicate a Caribbean reef.
As such, I am somewhat limited to my coral options. I plan on having all the commonly collected corals, but will also try to get some stony stuff by way of aquacultured rock.

Here is an equipment list:
IM 25 Lagoon
Maxspect Ethereal LED
AI Nero 5
Tunze ATO

I used rock that I have had for over a decade for this tank, and went with a very minimal aquascape.

As of now I only have some Astrea snails that I collected, Limpets, Ricordea and a Lantern Bass. So the tank looks pretty bare, but I have plans, lol..

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely my favorite style! Being that this is the view from my deck, its what I'm used too! And yes, I may be bragging a little.. lol

Attachments

• 16330960523133855372196085954461.jpg
    16330960523133855372196085954461.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan for livestock will consist primarily of gorgonians, mushrooms, rock flowers and paly/zoas.

The gorg placement will be tricky in such a shallow tank, but I will try to source smaller specimens and keep them pruned.

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-You!
I have had many different setups over the years, including other Caribbean tanks.
Of all the tanks that I have had, the Caribbean setups have always been my favorite, so I figured that I will stick to what I know and like.

Also, since the majority of the species I will be keeping can be found in somewhat cooler waters, it makes it easier to run the tank seasonally regarding temps. I have done this in the past with great results.

I plan to keep several species of Macro Algae in the tank. I have pretty much decided on the species that I want, now I just need a good supplier for them. Any suggestions?

~Michael

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-You!
I have had many different setups over the years, including other Caribbean tanks.
Of all the tanks that I have had, the Caribbean setups have always been my favorite, so I figured that I will stick to what I know and like.

Also, since the majority of the species I will be keeping can be found in somewhat cooler waters, it makes it easier to run the tank seasonally regarding temps. I have done this in the past with great results.

I plan to keep several species of Macro Algae in the tank. I have pretty much decided on the species that I want, now I just need a good supplier for them. Any suggestions?

~Michael
Reefcleaners.org is a usual go to. I have codium from them that is flourishing

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little basslet settled in very quickly, and within two days recognized that I am a source of food.

Now he has started showing a behavior that I am unsure of.

When I get in front of the tank he quickly swims to where I am. He the twitches his head and swims upward. He will follow me all around the tank doing this. I know he is not hungry, as he does this after feeding with no interest in food. I tried getting pictures but he does it so quickly that the above shots were what I got. Video will not upload.
I assume aggressive behavior, but part of mw want to get another and see if they will spawn.
They are synchronous hermaphrodite, so I could box one and hope for change, lol.

Anybody have much experience with this genus. All I am familiar with are Liopropomas..

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lantern basslets are one of my favorite fish. Mine always did well with royal grammas. They are voracious feeders and will gulp down smaller tankmates, both fish and invert.

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of how voracious they can be. We have caught them on rod and reel while fishing patch reefs in Florida. Little guys were 3 inches long and manged to get through a live pogy to a circle hook.

That said, they have amazing personalities.

I found this video of these fish showing spawing behavior

This is exactly what mine is doing minus the color change. My little guy doing push-ups in from of me is pretty interesting. I doubt he wants to spawn with me or my phone, so more than lively an aggressive behavior similar to the breeding dance...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back