25 gallon lagoon IM build

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
’ll be starting a 25 gallon lagoon aquarium from innovative marine in the next few months and I would love some tips on the best equipment to run. Skimmer will have to fit In the back AIO section. I would like to keep the build fairly low budget although it’s almost impossible on this hobby. I’m not sure on lights/ATO and I will likely go with an mp10 but wouldn’t mind finding a decent wavemaker for less money but I’ve been out of the hobby for awhile and not sure what’s out there. Planning on keeping everything but SPS and clams.

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on flow, lights and ATO Would be appreciated, likely going with a few Jeboas but not sure what style would be best suited,maybe the rw8’s? Or should I get one of the sine models? I’d like to just get one light and would like it to be under 250 is that possible?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lagoons are nice, I used to have one with a Kessil 160. You won’t be disappointed. I would do the Smart ATO. As far as a skimmer, IM makes a desktop DC one that fits in the back. I’ve heard they work well. I ran mine without one though, just relying on water changes.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are traveling a lot and not be home much, I wouldn't use an ATO at all. I personally have an AI Prime HD over my Lagoon 25. Depending on what you plan on keeping, would determine if need more light then that. I will probably add 1 more AI Prime HD soon myself. I have a skimmer, which is the IM Ghost skimmer. I don't really like it, but it does work. I would recommend the filter baskets over the filter socks they come with.

For flow, reef breeders have a new wave maker that doesn't take up much room and provide awesome flow. You could also go with a gyre of sort as well. I have four of the jebao cross flows in a 116 gallon frag tank and I love them. Cobalt heaters work nice because of their size also.

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check out the Kessil thank you, I’m leaning towards the aquamaxx nano skimmer but I might just go without one and do 20% water changes a week.

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are traveling a lot and not be home much, I wouldn't use an ATO at all. I personally have an AI Prime HD over my Lagoon 25. Depending on what you plan on keeping, would determine if need more light then that. I will probably add 1 more AI Prime HD soon myself. I have a skimmer, which is the IM Ghost skimmer. I don't really like it, but it does work. I would recommend the filter baskets over the filter socks they come with.

For flow, reef breeders have a new wave maker that doesn't take up much room and provide awesome flow. You could also go with a gyre of sort as well. I have four of the jebao cross flows in a 116 gallon frag tank and I love them. Cobalt heaters work nice because of their size also.
Awesome I’ll check out that heater, I’m gone most of the day and sometimes a couple so I’ll check out that smart Ato, thanks for the suggestions!

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give a +1 to the smart ato. I have one for my IM 40 and I couldn’t imagine ever going without it. I run an MP10 and two VCA random flow generators. I have one side of the back compartments a filter sock and the other side the media rack, also a sicce 1.5 return pump. I honestly couldn’t be happier, except I wish it was bigger.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the black version of the 25 lagoon (no AOI section) and I run 2 icecap gyre 1k’s. I have them running vertical in the back corners of the tank and get great flow and they cost half of what a mp10’s does.

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on cycling your aquarium when you get it?
I’m not entirely sure yet if I’m going to go with an additive/neutralizer or just let it go it’s course on its own. I’m not really in a rush so I’m sure it will be sitting full with just rock for a second anyway. What do you recommend?

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the black version of the 25 lagoon (no AOI section) and I run 2 icecap gyre 1k’s. I have them running vertical in the back corners of the tank and get great flow and they cost half of what a mp10’s does.
Very nice I’ll check them out.

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ATO purposes on the AIO IM tanks i have the hydrofill setup IM makes and it keeps the water level very consistent in my IM40 the pump is a bit loud though for my taste.
10-4 I’ll check it out

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There she blows. I got it for three hundred from premium aquatics.

CC9E7330-CA36-4D36-A74F-64B6E5EB8399.jpeg

OP
OP
Saltyfox

Saltyfox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering what the best biological media is guys, I’m thinking I’m gonna go with the brightwell cubes or spheres. Also how much should you use in a 25? Do they ever need to be changed/taken out?

Back