OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I trying to decide if I go all the premium liverock or try and get a small amount of the coralline base liverock to build up the structure then use 10 pounds or so of the premium liverock to make it look good. Oh the decisions hahahahaha

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I trying to decide if I go all the premium liverock or try and get a small amount of the coralline base liverock to build up the structure then use 10 pounds or so of the premium liverock to make it look good. Oh the decisions hahahahaha
I did 20 pounds of premium, and noted in my order (after getting instructions from TBS) that I would like "skinny rock". So shaped for a smaller tank. The rocks definitely have a top and a bottom to them based on how they were sitting in the ocean. All this to say that aqua-scaping options are limited with the premium. No complaints here. I would do it the same again and again.
IMG_5505.jpg

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 20 pounds of premium, and noted in my order (after getting instructions from TBS) that I would like "skinny rock". So shaped for a smaller tank. The rocks definitely have a top and a bottom to them based on how they were sitting in the ocean. All this to say that aqua-scaping options are limited with the premium. No complaints here. I would do it the same again and again.
IMG_5505.jpg
Thanks for the input will probably go all premium hard to get just 10 pounds nad 10 pounds of each. Might call and see if they can pair them together for a 20 pound package.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5505.jpg
Did you put the rock in a tub to cycle off any or just straight into the tank? I was thinking about ordering some next week and putting them into a rubbermaid tub with a powerhead no lights (just ambient light from the room) for a week or two to let the dieoff happen in that before putting them in the new tank. Just not sure if that is needed if they are shipped in water there shouldn't be much die off.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been super busy with proctoring finals for my students. But here is a quick update.
Stand is coming along hope to have it complete by Tuesday. Using cedar tongue and groove and will drill through the tubing and screw in from the back so my better half doesn’t see the screws (she is picky and it doesn’t look good she will make me by the APS stand). Will have to cut the tongue off the corners so that it fits together nicely or find some trim for the edges.
70679976447__BA8DF3C5-6EB0-4961-A9D5-FEA988D20631.jpeg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put the rock in a tub to cycle off any or just straight into the tank? I was thinking about ordering some next week and putting them into a rubbermaid tub with a powerhead no lights (just ambient light from the room) for a week or two to let the dieoff happen in that before putting them in the new tank. Just not sure if that is needed if they are shipped in water there shouldn't be much die off.
Don't try and cycle the live rock. Straight into the a cycled tank. This is what I did at TBS's recommendation. Start at post #3 for details.

I ordered "Premium" live rock. It comes with macro algae and critters. The folks at TBS recommended that I have a cycled tank to receive the rocks. So, in an old 15 gallon Fluval Flex that I had run freshwater in in 2018, I started with 1 pound each of live rock from 2 different LFS. Then I added 1 pound of ceramic biomedia and ran Tim's ammonia to start the cycle. I also arranged for "local pickup" of the rock. This would minimize the rocks travel time from 3 days in air cargo to 8 hours in my car.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could drive it will be in Florida end of June but it takes me two days to drive from South Texas. With summer coming on strong and hit like usual might have to wait for cooler temps or pay the extra for overnight.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand update for today only got in an hour of work unfortunately
70708600202__0ABE2C7D-FD34-4F62-8252-ED174B477C17.jpeg

Wife didn’t want to see screw holes on the outside and I wasn’t sure I could find a putty to match the cedar so the screw come in from the back side. Still need to work on the door(s) not sure if I’m going with one or two. image.jpg
image.jpg

Got to get some trim pieces for the left and right edges so those look good. And put the cabinet door(s) in.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I have a single AI 16HD but looking at possibly selling that light and getting the Noo-Spyche K7 Pro III. For the beginning the prime should be plenty.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I have a single AI 16HD but looking at possibly selling that light and getting the Noo-Spyche K7 Pro III. For the beginning the prime should be plenty.

Good call. I had 1 x 16 Prime HD over my lagoon and it only last a week or two before I added another. 1 would have been fine for just some really basic coral with low expectations in regards to shadows and growth on coral around the edges, but with 2, it's a different tank. Much better coverage.

My Zoas were all on the edges and they were stretching like sunflowers towards the light. Now they are nice and flat and creating a mat.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work has been crazy since June. Put 4700 miles on my work truck and I never left Texas. Finishing up the stand just need to build and attach the door and bring it home.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I carved out time I finished the stand. Need to put a coat of protectant on the top before I put the tank on it though. Will be stopping at Lowe’s this afternoon to pick up some clear polyurethane. IMG_7164.jpeg IMG_7163.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I carved out time I finished the stand. Need to put a coat of protectant on the top before I put the tank on it though. Will be stopping at Lowe’s this afternoon to pick up some clear polyurethane. IMG_7164.jpeg IMG_7163.jpeg
Stand looks great!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back