25 year old 75G Jaubert Plenum on top with 30G EcoSystem Mud/Macro

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been exercising some softer tones in the conflict resolution part of my male psychic, “Men Are From Mars”.

Great book. I read it a couple of times, and realize that us and Women are completely different species and they even smell better than us.
If all men would read it many of them wouldn't get divorced 3 weeks after they were married.
I was on the job once and a carpenter showed me a picture of this girl he was going to marry "That afternoon" and it was like a Thursday so I am sure it was an elaborate wedding with the expensive potato chips and all.
He told me that that is his "Future X Wife" . I am sure that marriage lasted well into the next day. :eek:

Don't hold your breath here for a tank description, I am not big on testing and stuff! ;)

I don't have test kits. They are for Sissies. ;Meh

I am a firm believer that the mud in your filter is the heart of a complicated ecosystem that begins with bacteria and algae. I have read research papers that documented “quorum sensing” with biofilms that cover all wet surfaces.

Most people won't read that or believe it. But I do. :D

I now mostly use Seachem iron rich substrate with no socks in my sump. Detritus builds up creating these zones in time.

I generally don't use anything that comes in a can, package, box or bag and if I need iron, I throw some nails in the tank. I also don't have a sump but If I did, I wouldn't wear socks either. :cool:

I am gradually adding more mud to my tank whenever I can collect it. My tank created it over decades but I don't have decades any more to wait so I add it from the sea. I am sure there is a lot of snail snot in it which may be the Key ingredient and hard to test for. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great book. I read it a couple of times, and realize that us and Women are completely different species and they even smell better than us.
If all men would read it many of them wouldn't get divorced 3 weeks after they were married.
I was on the job once and a carpenter showed me a picture of this girl he was going to marry "That afternoon" and it was like a Thursday so I am sure it was an elaborate wedding with the expensive potato chips and all.
He told me that that is his "Future X Wife" . I am sure that marriage lasted well into the next day. :eek:

I don't have test kits. They are for Sissies. ;Meh

Most people won't read that or believe it. But I do. :D

I generally don't use anything that comes in a can, package, box or bag and if I need iron, I throw some nails in the tank. I also don't have a sump but If I did, I wouldn't wear socks either. :cool:

I am gradually adding more mud to my tank whenever I can collect it. My tank created it over decades but I don't have decades any more to wait so I add it from the sea. I am sure there is a lot of snail snot in it which may be the Key ingredient and hard to test for. :rolleyes:

Yes, to snail snot.

I do have test kits that have not been opened in ten years. Does that make me a sissy?

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ten months ago, I made two major changes to tank biofiltration:

1. Turned lights out on EcoSystem mud/macro refugium, composted tomatoes with macro. seeded refugium with cryptic sponges. At this same time performed a major overhaul to 6” dsb on Jaubert Plenum.

2. Due to loss of dsb detrivores over a two year period to Melanarious Wrasse, 6” dsb of CaribSea aroggonite.crased. Over a three week period, I siphoned out over 500 pounds of substrate and replaced 4000 pounds of water.

During that time, I received my first NPS, Chile Coral. It did poorly due to excessive particulate matter in display tank. I took the drastic step of putting Chile in the dark seven months ago.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+2980&pcatid=2980

Pictures of cryptic refugium at 10 months in the dark.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
I added some Gracilaria Hayi to contrast emerald green of GSP. Under moderate light, Gracilaria Hayi is a dark burgundy.

image.jpg
" Red bush algae, also known as Gracilaria Hayi, is a perfect source of food for fish such as Angelfish, Tangs and snails. It also works to absorb nitrates from your tank and is reef safe. It's bright florescent red colors make a beautiful addition to your tank or refugium. Red Gracilaria Algae is a very hardy macroalgae that helps to remove toxins from your tank and grows fairly fast. It is a natural way to improve the water quality in your aquarium. "

Which of your fish are you targeting?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Red bush algae, also known as Gracilaria Hayi, is a perfect source of food for fish such as Angelfish, Tangs and snails. It also works to absorb nitrates from your tank and is reef safe. It's bright florescent red colors make a beautiful addition to your tank or refugium. Red Gracilaria Algae is a very hardy macroalgae that helps to remove toxins from your tank and grows fairly fast. It is a natural way to improve the water quality in your aquarium. "

Which of your fish are you targeting?

Interesting question. Actually, the Gracilaria Hayi and the Red Grapes are the climax species in my display. I removed the Tangs and rabbits to allow red macro algae to flourish. Previously, I used GAC to remove DOC. SINCE I turned out lights in refugium to encourage cryptic sponges, I have been very pleased with the three legs to biofiltration in my system: bacteria, algae and sponges.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. Actually, the Gracilaria Hayi and the Red Grapes are the climax species in my display. I removed the Tangs and rabbits to allow red macro algae to flourish. Previously, I used GAC to remove DOC. SINCE I turned out lights in refugium to encourage cryptic sponges, I have been very pleased with the three legs to biofiltration in my system: bacteria, algae and sponges.
So, with the sponge filtration; have you any yellowing of the water now that you have stopped using GAC, or are the sponges dealing successfully with that ?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, with the sponge filtration; have you any yellowing of the water now that you have stopped using GAC, or are the sponges dealing successfully with that ?

No yellow water.

I am still dealing with cynobacteria.

Considering 25 year old dsb which crashed, I am confident that biofiltration with adequate herbivors and detrivores will win the race. At this point in my life, I have learned to be patient. I trust natural biofiltration. However, I still consider GAC as an important tool. Just as their are a complex list of components that contribute to DOC, there are differrent grades of GAC. Equally complex is which components of DOC are being utilized by cryptic sponges.

I am committed to using high nutrients to combat nuisance algae and cynobacteria. With the proper use of herbivores and detrivores that reproduce to food supply, I see a interconnected system with multiple food webs. For my immediate issue with Cynobacteria, I will use ammonia as a nitrogen source and I will use GAC to remove DOC, indiscriminately.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust natural biofiltration. However, I still consider GAC as an important tool. Just as their are a complex list of components that contribute to DOC, there are differrent grades of GAC. Equally complex is which components of DOC are being utilized by cryptic sponges.
OK, you're still using activated carbon. Have you considered removing it to test 'spong worthyness'? Yellowing would be a sign.
I am still dealing with cynobacteria.
I am committed to using high nutrients to combat nuisance algae and cynobacteria. With the proper use of herbivores and detrivores that reproduce to food supply, I see a interconnected system with multiple food webs. For my immediate issue with. Cynobacteria, I will use ammonia as a nitrogen source and I will use GAC to remove DOC, indiscriminately.
When my ATS matured the nutrients dropped significantly. The cyano & nuisance algae I had in the display disappeared completely, & coralline weny crazy.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, you're still using activated carbon. Have you considered removing it to test 'spong worthyness'? Yellowing would be a sign.

When my ATS matured the nutrients dropped significantly. The cyano & nuisance algae I had in the display disappeared completely, & coralline weny crazy.

I have not used GAC in 9 months. However, due to persisting cyno, I will use GAC, physphate removal resin and nitrogen.

Yes, I understand that about mature biofiltration. My Jaubert Plenum (denitrification bacteria) combined with EcoSystem mud macro refugium easily processed nutrients and feed display with live food.

Considering the dramatic changes undergone in the last 12 months, I can not consider the present condition of my 25 year old tank as “steady state”.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted some on that thread and may continue.

I just recently added a sea apple to my system. Since I went cryptic, Chilli Coral seems to be happy in refugium and flame scallops are happy after 1 year in display tank. When I asked if “clean system” could maintain those filter feeders, I got zero response.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the healthiest tube worms I have ever seen, each one seems to be smiling. I feel bad for all the tube worms I lost in my move as I feel they are one of the best filters and the presence of them indicates an extremely healthy, stable tank. I hope some of mine survived the move and I am going to collect some mud the next time I go out in my boat because I have not had time to collect any yet. I want to dump a load of it under my UG filter to kick start the thing as that is one thing I am missing. :D

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“ As that is the one thing that I am missing“,

@Paul B
I beg to differ, with respect to super models, you have not spoken of Dallas Cowgirls. I think that you missed an opportunity.

While my pods are not as thick as your “grass shrimp” that take turns to get into the water, that embellishment gets you Texacan bragging rights status. I have a sustainable population of amphipods and copepods in 150G Rubbermade tanks buried in the ground. At present, system volumn is 900G with 450G buried in the ground and three 150G tanks above ground. Above ground tanks are seasonal for
9 months during warm weather. By far, temperature control in summer is my biggest obstacle. During these hot August days, evaporation rate is 50 GPD. With makeup water coming in from 900’ deep with a TDS > 1000ppm, I was concerned that salinity would rise, but this is not the case. Mineral uptake by seaweed and pods requires me to add salt mix. Outside systems are zero discharge and have been that way for 8 years.

Paul,
My 8 month old 120G new build is my second display tank in living room. I emulated you with upflow ug filter. Last month, my small ug pump failed, unknown to me, with a resulting shift in redox that was not pleasant to see. I replumbed location of this pump to be in easy access to check for operation.
I emulate your success of 47 years.
Patrick

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wet-salty-for-christmas-2017.428100/

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“ As that is the one thing that I am missing“,

@Paul B
I beg to differ, with respect to super models, you have not spoken of Dallas Cowgirls. I think that you missed an opportunity.

While my pods are not as thick as your “grass shrimp” that take turns to get into the water, that embellishment gets you Texacan bragging rights status. I have a sustainable population of amphipods and copepods in 150G Rubbermade tanks buried in the ground. At present, system volumn is 900G with 450G buried in the ground and three 150G tanks above ground. Above ground tanks are seasonal for
9 months during warm weather. By far, temperature control in summer is my biggest obstacle. During these hot August days, evaporation rate is 50 GPD. With makeup water coming in from 900’ deep with a TDS > 1000ppm, I was concerned that salinity would rise, but this is not the case. Mineral uptake by seaweed and pods requires me to add salt mix. Outside systems are zero discharge and have been that way for 8 years.

Paul,
My 8 month old 120G new build is my second display tank in living room. I emulated you with upflow ug filter. Last month, my small ug pump failed, unknown to me, with a resulting shift in redox that was not pleasant to see. I replumbed location of this pump to be in easy access to check for operation.
I emulate your success of 47 years.
Patrick

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back