Kipp's Coral's

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Steve :) they have been a huge help! they keep my patience in check lol
Woah... Be careful talking to Steve. Soon he's going to have you buying Gonis, then torches, then Micros and Bowers, then other stuff, then more, then Acros and soon your tank is full and you're buying leopards and other Wrasses and other stuff.

I'm totally kidding! You should listen to Steve, he's a great guy. Well, he's mostly alright most of the time at least.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah... Be careful talking to Steve. Soon he's going to have you buying Gonis, then torches, then Micros and Bowers, then other stuff, then more, then Acros and soon your tank is full and you're buying leopards and other Wrasses and other stuff.

I'm totally kidding! You should listen to Steve, he's a great guy. Well, he's mostly alright most of the time at least.
Well wouldn’t he want the tank to be filled with all sorts of wonderful things….like this…..
IMG_2710.jpeg

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, spent the last few hours breaking down my costs and equipment list and sharing it with everyone. I edited my original post to include my tank profile and equipment lists / costs. Enjoy :) leave questions, comments, concerns, giveaway's to the man himself ;)

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and seems like you are off to a great start. I also am a medic and I’ve kept saltwater tanks for the better part of 20 years. My tanks are in the 60 gallon range so can relate in many levels. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/18/2024

Nitrate : 0ppm - fishless did add bacteria on 3/13, no ammonia sources.

DKH: 8 dkh on API, HOWEVER 6.4 on Hanna DKH

Calcium: maxed out on API, unknown.

phosphate 0.25ppm

QUESTION: first test showed DKH as 8.0, my API is reading 8.0 but my Hanna is reading 6.2 and 6.4 repeated. The Hanna is expired. Will this cause my issue?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3/18/2024

Nitrate : 0ppm - fishless did add bacteria on 3/13, no ammonia sources.

DKH: 8 dkh on API, HOWEVER 6.4 on Hanna DKH

Calcium: maxed out on API, unknown.

phosphate 0.25ppm

QUESTION: first test showed DKH as 8.0, my API is reading 8.0 but my Hanna is reading 6.2 and 6.4 repeated. The Hanna is expired. Will this cause my issue?
Expired Hanna reagents will read wrong, yes.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/30/2024 - 3/31/2024

Cycling tests & l added additional sand to display tank - with 24 hour lapse photo.

Your cycle is coming along. Ammonia looks in the low end but still present. Nitrite is high so ammonia is being converted.

Did you do a nitrate test? Hopefully you are showing nitrate also.

While nitrite does not hurt saltwater fish, I do like to see it at zero before adding fish. Why? A zero nitrite after cycling means that there is enough bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and enough bacteria to convert that nitrite to nitrate.

Basically it means you are cycled at that point, (assuming ammonia sources were added to convert dnd nitrates are present to confirm a full cycle exists)

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is coming along. Ammonia looks in the low end but still present. Nitrite is high so ammonia is being converted.

Did you do a nitrate test? Hopefully you are showing nitrate also.

While nitrite does not hurt saltwater fish, I do like to see it at zero before adding fish. Why? A zero nitrite after cycling means that there is enough bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and enough bacteria to convert that nitrite to nitrate.

Basically it means you are cycled at that point, (assuming ammonia sources were added to convert dnd nitrates are present to confirm a full cycle exists)

Redid all of them today, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3445.jpeg
    IMG_3445.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 19

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back