OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaubert systems is kinda swimming against the tide nowadays. That's why I'm trying one of it. You are a big inspiration.

@besskurtz
Tell me about your dream system.

After 20 yrs of Jaubert plenum, 5 yrs ago, I reversed the flow and reduced depth of sandbed from 6” to 2”. The Jaubert Plenum focused on bacteria to perform denitrification in an oxygen reducing environment. Instead, I choose to inoculate sand bed with diverse micro fauna & fana in an oxygen rich environment, establishing diverse food webs that recycle inorganic & organics nutrients up the food chain as live food for hungry mouths.
I now use cryptic sponges as the third leg of biofiltration in my systems along with bacteria & algae to recycle DOC into food for coral using the microbial loop. If you like instrumentation, Its a positive feedback circuit

PS: Tank is 36 hrs into chemi clean treatment.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@besskurtz

After 20 yrs of Jaubert plenum, 5 yrs ago, I reversed the flow and reduced depth of sandbed from 6” to 2”. The Jaubert Plenum focused on bacteria to perform denitrification in an oxygen reducing environment. Instead, I choose to inoculate sand bed with diverse micro fauna & fana in an oxygen rich environment, establishing diverse food webs that recycle inorganic & organics nutrients up the food chain as live food for hungry mouths.
I now use cryptic sponges as the third leg of biofiltration in my systems along with bacteria & algae to recycle DOC into food for coral using the microbial loop. If you like instrumentation, Its a positive feedback circuit

@besskurtz

Your tank looks great. Water is cristal clear.

Well my Dream tank is probably my retirement plan . Something like a 200 gal shallow volcano tank. My plan is to live at the beach, so water and critters I will collected myself. - I used to do this in Brazil. I was always afraid to collected crabs, but I will learn on the fly
Screenshot_20221126_101253.jpg

I had to read a lot about cryptic filtration cuz I never heard about this concept. But this is very interesting. I woudl say my bowl has some cryptic areas where I spotted a big bristleworm some days ago.

What I have to learn more is about sponges and when I could add them.

Another question, is how do you inoculate your sand bed?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Another question, is how do you inoculate your sand bed?”

When setting up a brand new system, I first establish nitrogen cycle with dry substrate & bottled bacteria, then I get uncured diver collected live rock and some diver collected live sand and add to tank. This establishes diverse micro fauna & fana. Janitors are next to add, detrivores are larger members of your clean up crew.

with your established system in a bowl, I recomend IndoPacific SeaFarm in Hawai.

Mama Mia Worms™
The common name of these deposit-feeding annelids from the family Terrebellidae is Spaghetti Worms. But let's face it - how many people can spell "spaghetti" correctly on the first try? We sure couldn't. Hence the name, Mama Mia. These highly active worms have bright red buccal tentacles which extend out over the sand bed to gather suitably sized particulate materials, which they "lasso" by tentacular contraction. It's fascinating to watch, and it sure beats vacuuming your sand bed. Here's a bonus: you can count on Mama Mia worms to reproduce in your tank because they have direct development (no planktonic stage). Specimens average approx. 1/2 "-1" in length with tentacles extended. 100% captive-bred by IPSF.

Baby BristleWorms™
Most experienced reefkeepers strongly believe in the beneficial effects of bristle worms on the sand bed. We hold the view that bristle worms and other sand bed scavengers are vitally important components of reef ecosystems, both captive and wild. Our Baby Bristle Worms package comes with 6 fine young specimens, all about 0.5 - 1.0 inches in length. Our clams and corals are grown in commercial mariculture tanks in close proximity with literally thousands of happily breeding bristleworms. Simply put, bristleworms are to reef tanks what earthworms are to gardens. Bristle worms constantly stir the reef tank sand bed and help keep it aerobic. They consume uneaten fish food and fish waste, preventing dead and decaying organic matter from accumulating on top of the sand bed. Baby Bristle Worms will mature rapidly and reproduce to levels that are consistent with the available resources (food and space) in your reef tank. 100% Captive-Bred.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I had to read a lot about cryptic filtration cuz I never heard about this concept. But this is very interesting. I woudl say my bowl has some cryptic areas where I spotted a big bristleworm some days ago.”

Steve Tyree first spoke of cryptic zone filtration 20 years ago. More recently, cryptic sponge biochemistry by Dutch scientist has opened up how the microbial loop cycles detritus sloughed off by cryptic sponges up the food chain as live food. When analyzed by depletion of DOC and processed into biomass, showed cryptic sponges doubling in size every 7 hours but for detritus accumulated as MULM.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. Water is cristal clear.

Well my Dream tank is probably my retirement plan . Something like a 200 gal shallow volcano tank. My plan is to live at the beach, so water and critters I will collected myself. - I used to do this in Brazil. I was always afraid to collected crabs, but I will learn on the fly
Screenshot_20221126_101253.jpg

I had to read a lot about cryptic filtration cuz I never heard about this concept. But this is very interesting. I woudl say my bowl has some cryptic areas where I spotted a big bristleworm some days ago.

What I have to learn more is about sponges and when I could add them.

Another question, is how do you inoculate your sand bed?
@besskurz
Feeling nostalgic, I was rereading my tank thread and found you again. I am very impressed with your Jaubert in a bowl during the last year. To accomplish that, your attention to detail was stellar. I marvel at that!

I was introduced to “Dynamic Equilibrium” in Sept of 1971 with my first semester as an Aggie freshman in The Texas Maritime Academy. Oceeaneering 101 emphasized the Laws Of Nature which controlled the processes to buffer the ocean using the 1 & 2 Laws of Thermodynamics, which address the solubility of carbon dioxide in water and the solubility of limestone in water.

NOTE: Dynamic equilibrium is an example of a system in a steady state.

An example of dynamic equilibrium is NO2(g) + CO(g) ⇌ NO(g) + CO2(g) (again, as long as the two rates are equal). Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) reacts with carbon monoxide (CO) to form nitrogen oxide (NO) and carbon dioxide (CO2), and, in the reverse reaction, nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide react to form nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IPSF is great...but they wont ship DIRECT to your home..they will send to a ups or fedex center and have u pick it up there in person...if that is convenient to you , then fine..if not - It can be a bit of a hassle to order from them

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IPSF is great...but they wont ship DIRECT to your home..they will send to a ups or fedex center and have u pick it up there in person...if that is convenient to you , then fine..if not - It can be a bit of a hassle to order from them
Why choose ipsf.com? We are true pioneers in reef health and restoration, leading and assisting reef conservation programs in 17 Indo-Pacific nations beginning more than 25 years ago. We wrote the original book on Giant Clam Farming and developed the technology that now brings captive-bred tridacnid clams to marine aquariums the world over. More.
@Hot2na
Good morning. Why shipping comment just now?,

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hot2na
Good morning. Why shipping comment just now?,
Why NOT ? I think people should be aware of the pros & cons of any online vendor ... I would have to drive 50 miles to pickup an order from them ..Thats why -I don't ... for those that live in more populated urban areas -that wont be a concern..IPSF is great and Gerald Heslinga goes waaay back in the hobby ...to minimize losses and claims -he insists on shipping to a facility rather than directly to your home...what's the problem -Sub ?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why NOT ? I think people should be aware of the pros & cons of any online vendor ... I would have to drive 50 miles to pickup an order from them ..Thats why -I don't ... for those that live in more populated urban areas -that wont be a concern..IPSF is great and Gerald Heslinga goes waaay back in the hobby ...to minimize losses and claims -he insists on shipping to a facility rather than directly to your home...what's the problem -Sub ?
Kudos: Thank you for the thought,

I had the privilege of drinking Irish whiskey listening to Gerald’s Wisdom at a conference in Fort Worth, Texas. I had made several purchases from IndoPacificSeaFarm that brought in the key players in recycling inorganic & organic nutrients threw multiple nutrient pathways and thanked him with a toast of Irish Wiskey.

I don’t know current shipping policy. I had shipments to different homesites for 20 years. We discussed not getting warranty replacement and I agreed. I never lost anything from IPSF live shipments.

Gerald Hesslinger, passed on an opportunity to pursue a Doctorate at Harvard, so he could assist islanders in the Indo-Pacific establish Clam Farms, to feed their Families, then Walt Smith & he consult with the locals and establish coral farms to feed hungry “reef hobiest”.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Art of being a good steward with things is to put yourself in their world. It was easy for me to be Jacque Cotsteau. For 30 years, I worked on and in the Deep Blue as a Senior Subsea Engineer, responsible for BOP and Well Control in Deepwater Drilling.

I worked for Transocean when this happened. I had passed on the opportunity to staff her. Before I retired, Transocean drilled the relief well to kill this blowout. While I read the preliminary USCG & MMS report, I had never seen the final analysis.

This was an excellent technical report.

An Apprentice, a Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate, and A Friend meet Neptune and crossed the Rainbow Bridge when the Horizon Went Down.
And I salute him.

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@besskurz
Feeling nostalgic, I was rereading my tank thread and found you again. I am very impressed with your Jaubert in a bowl during the last year. To accomplish that, your attention to detail was stellar. I marvel at that!

I was introduced to “Dynamic Equilibrium” in Sept of 1971 with my first semester as an Aggie freshman in The Texas Maritime Academy. Oceeaneering 101 emphasized the Laws Of Nature which controlled the processes to buffer the ocean using the 1 & 2 Laws of Thermodynamics, which address the solubility of carbon dioxide in water and the solubility of limestone in water.

NOTE: Dynamic equilibrium is an example of a system in a steady state.

An example of dynamic equilibrium is NO2(g) + CO(g) ⇌ NO(g) + CO2(g) (again, as long as the two rates are equal). Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) reacts with carbon monoxide (CO) to form nitrogen oxide (NO) and carbon dioxide (CO2), and, in the reverse reaction, nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide react to form nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide
Thanks @Subsea! Im sure that I could not reach this level without your help. Thanks once more.

Im now scratching my head with low MG readings but I will post later more in my thread.

Oil drilling is something that always fascinated me. The company I work for - Rexroth - when the pre-salt oil drilling was a big thing in Brazil, used to machine a large stainless steel manifold - it was like 60inch tall - which people told me it was used in Christmas threes.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Subsea! Im sure that I could not reach this level without your help. Thanks once more.

Im now scratching my head with low MG readings but I will post later more in my thread.

Oil drilling is something that always fascinated me. The company I work for - Rexroth - when the pre-salt oil drilling was a big thing in Brazil, used to machine a large stainless steel manifold - it was like 60inch tall - which people told me it was used in Christmas threes.
Our subsea bop weighed 200 tons with 18“ diameter and 15,000psi working pressure,

The Christmas Tree in production serves the same function as does the BOP in drilling. When Nobel Drilling worked for Petrobras in Brazil we set subsea production trees that weighed 50 tons and stood 30’ tall in 5000’ of water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While listening to streaming music with Van Morrison, “Into the Mystic”, I flashbacked to 1963 as a Freshman in high school and Sam Cooke sang,

”A Change is Gonna Come” then an ageless Sam Cook and Brian Owens do it again in 2013, half a century later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Samuel Cook[5] (January 22, 1931[6] – December 11, 1964),[5]known professionally as Sam Cooke, was an American singerand songwriter. Considered one of the most influential soul artists of all time, Cooke is commonly referred to as the "King of Soul" for his distinctive vocals, pioneering contributions to the genre, and significance in popular music.[7] During his eight-year career, Cooke released 29 singles that charted in the Top 40 of the Billboard Pop Singles chart, as well as 20 singles in the Top Ten of Billboard's Black Singles chart. In 1964, Cooke was shot and killed by the manager of a motel in Los Angeles.[8] After an inquest and investigation, the courts ruled Cooke's death to be a justifiable homicide.[9] His family has since questioned the circumstances of his death.

So much for information on the internet, because in 2013, Sam Cook sang with Brian Owens. This is Sam Cook in 1963.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back