OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering trying to use a zeolite or aquaforest method on my tank. I'm leaning more towards aquaforest at this point because I will be able to keep my mangroves . The running costs of both systems are pretty similar. Anyone prefer one over the other?

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tried my hand at working with acrylic today. Turned out pretty decent for my maiden voyage. Flame polished edges etc.

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Playing around with a new iPhone app for photo editing.
I also just switched my tank over to aquaforest products, pretty much using the full lineup. I will keep updating here if people are interested in the progress of the tank based on these products.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, I'm following for sure. I'm interested in the aqua forest products as well. Thanks

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

This is 1 week after I started the full line of af products (diatoms in the sand have been there for a few weeks). I am going to post an unedited iPhone pic once a week to see if I can track the difference in the tank.

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Here is my weekly update shot. LPS seems be much fuller now then prior to starting the af line. Colors on the sps appear to be getting richer. I still have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates I am trying to increase them but so far they are staying at 0. Diatoms are almost gone after dosing some bakers yeast.

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had success in increased my NO3 to 0.25 & PO4 to 0.08 by shutting my skimmer off 2 hours at night. I have seen better growth in my SPS since.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great
How u likening the ReefBrites I'm going with three of them over my 180 with 6 xhos and I'm truly excited to say the least

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are amazing lights I am really glad I decided to add them to my tank. Virtually no heat was added to my tank I have an open canopy set up for the most part. I would highLy recommend them. I had a few minor issues and I was easily able to get a hold of Tulio and he resolved them quickly.

I recently had success in increased my NO3 to 0.25 & PO4 to 0.08 by shutting my skimmer off 2 hours at night. I have seen better growth in my SPS since.
That's a good idea. I will definitely try this

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are amazing lights I am really glad I decided to add them to my tank. Virtually no heat was added to my tank I have an open canopy set up for the most part. I would highLy recommend them. I had a few minor issues and I was easily able to get a hold of Tulio and he resolved them quickly.

That's a good idea. I will definitely try this
Tulio is the man

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through a rough time with my tank. Doser went nuts alk spike to over 12. Lost most of my acros. Now I'm dealing with a nitrate spike lost a big sailfin and cannot find him.
I am going to take this time to redo my aquascape. I am also replacing my doser and going to a calcium reactor.

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm still struggling with my tank. Parameters have been stable for a few weeks but it is still digressing. Unsure what else I can do at this point. The tank has been in a state of decline now since I connected the the display to the fish room. At this point I am seriously considering a restart. My LPS is still living but not thriving all sps is gone minus a few large monti's.

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water for the restart. I have a 90 gallon cube where I will move the fish and remaining coral. Hopefully they will be ok in that tank for a few weeks. I started cooking rock today. I will use way less rock in the display this time. I have a large order of marinepure blocks that I will use in place of my refugium (40 gallon breeder that was a detritus trap). I plan on a much more simplistic setup this go around. Biopellets and gfo when needed. Sparse water changes and a calcium reactor in an effort to keep everything balanced. This tank will run bare bottom as well.
Anyone have any advice on basically resetting the system. I'm in no rush to set it up fast unless my fish/corals cannot tolerate the 90 gallon tank

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this
It's really a means to an end. I've struggled since I linked the dt to the fish room because it was not a well planed transition. This reset will allow me to clean all the tanks and redo the things I did not like

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like many things about this build, the lighting, deep dimension tank and aquascape!

OP
OP
Matthias7

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I use just a hang on back filtration unit for the 90 gallon tank while the fish and corals are in it or do I need a protein skimmer?

Back