250000 litre pool conversion to reef tank!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. I will put 500 gallon macro algae tank ahead of my sump!!!!
Will have protein skimmer ...roller filter....gfo reactor on standby,,,but I swear...will hunt each and everyone of you down when I don't need:)))))
Heck don't wait, bring the skimmer, roller filter and GFO reactor over today!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could definitely work, you'd want to take some time to consider what species of macro algae you want to grow. Perhaps a variety to keep improve odds of success with the various species.
Yes.. I would have the tank in sections with different varieties...to see which would work the best.
Thank you:)....but I think you guys are right:)!...I will setup the sump with all the required equipment...just in case.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely use the skimmer. It's the heart of the filtration.
Imagine if you have 400 gallons worth of macro algae die off because of a failure and you're left with no filtration at all. All it takes is for the light over the macro to malfunction while you're away or something like that to kill off the algae. At least with a skimmer you can have some sort of back up filtration. It will also aerate you're water like surface agitation could never do.
Freshwater is a completely different hobby to marine. You can be the best cichlid or discus breeder in the world and still not be able to keep a marine tank running. I'm sure you'll be a great reefer, but just letting you know only a small amount of experience is transferable to the marine hobby :)
Thanks for input and your kind words:)...will do as you advise...I did have 2 reef tanks about 10 years back...had reasonable amount of success...but life got in the way:)!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I hope it works I will follow this closely, if your ever in the south come on over
I'm confident it will work...if algae tank is big enough...but backup equipment is a good idea:)
I'm coming to fort Lauderdale in march for a cruise...how far a drive north of there are you?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think u would be fine I have run skimmer less systems plenty of people have without the 500 gallon refuge tank. But people are told u need a skimmer so that's what they get and tell everyone else to get. It's ur tank and if u believe it can work then I believe as well. But I now have a skimmer so you have to have a skimmer. Good luck can't wait to see this

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment room before:(
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to this!!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would be rid of the roller mat
Oh...no:(!!!!...this was one of my favorite things???
Why would removing the bigger particulate almost instantly be a bad thing?
I don't like the idea of cleaning filter socks daily or have the particulate rotting in my tank water:(
Yep look's just like my garage floor!
ruff.jpg
Cool. Does it drain well?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confident it will work...if algae tank is big enough...but backup equipment is a good idea:)
I'm coming to fort Lauderdale in march for a cruise...how far a drive north of there are you?
Man Have fun on the Cruise I didn't think I would like it I went about 2 years ago had a blast. It's a good ways at least 8 hours,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back