250G DD SPS Reef

How's everything going with the tank? I finally finished plumbing my tank to use that Trigger systems sump I bought from you way back. How do you like the T5's and Radion Pro combo? I am probably going that route also.

Also has it been running the Ecobak?
 
How's everything going with the tank? I finally finished plumbing my tank to use that Trigger systems sump I bought from you way back. How do you like the T5's and Radion Pro combo? I am probably going that route also.

Also has it been running the Ecobak?

Tank is doing well, just over 2 months and still breaking in. Battling a bit of algae here and there but nothing crazy.

As for the lighting combo I am pretty impressed. I am running 2 radion pros 9" over the tank with 4x80w t5s and I think it has turned out to be a great combo. the radions run from 9am to 11pm and hit 50% intensity at max. I run the t5's for 5 hours at this point but would like to get them up to 7hrs a day in the future. I will also slowly try and increase the intensity of the radions as well. As for growth i think they are close but not all the way as good of growers as my previous halide/t5 setup. I still feel like it is hard to tell cause the tank is so new and hasn't really taken off yet. Frags that were glued down from the start of the tank have encrusted bases which to me is a good sign. Colors on the corals has shifted slightly (only talking about SPS corals) most have gotten better, some may have to be moved to get more light, hoping running the t5's longer will help with this. Also the appearance of the tank is much more appealing when it comes to viewing at night and in the day, especially with the sunset mode turned on, it really makes the corals glow. I am pretty happy overall.

AS for the Ecobak, it has been running from the start and does a good job at keeping the nitrate to minimal levels, I still fun GFO and have to change it out every month or so to keep up with the phosphate and keep it at 0 or close to it. I do dose Zeobak in conjunction with the Ecobak. Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Updates 2/25/14

Things are going steady. Still battling Ich with the tangs and trying to feed heavy to help boost their immune system. As for the lighting I am going to switch back over to MH. Will be running 2x250w 20k radiums. Will give another update after i make the transition. The Radion pros work well but I feel the growth is slowed with sps and the color shift that it brings out in the corals is not really to my liking. Plus MH is proven and will hopefully get the results I am looking for with the switch.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC00430.jpg
    DSC00430.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 389
Updates 2/25/14

couple more
 

Attachments

  • DSC00451.jpg
    DSC00451.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00464.jpg
    DSC00464.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 434
Your tank is looking sweeeeet bro! Love the Zoas on the branch rock. :D
 
Things are going steady. Still battling Ich with the tangs and trying to feed heavy to help boost their immune system. As for the lighting I am going to switch back over to MH. Will be running 2x250w 20k radiums. Will give another update after i make the transition. The Radion pros work well but I feel the growth is slowed with sps and the color shift that it brings out in the corals is not really to my liking. Plus MH is proven and will hopefully get the results I am looking for with the switch.
Ive seen a lot of people who keep sps change back to MH or T5 ftom leds. Myself included. Cant beat sps color under MH or T5! :)
 
Great job!
 
Ive seen a lot of people who keep sps change back to MH or T5 ftom leds. Myself included. Cant beat sps color under MH or T5! :)
I hate to see what happens to my energy bill but I think the die hard SPS people know why I am making the change. There is nothing more fun to me in the hobby than buying some frags and watching them encrust, color up and grow. With LEDs i wasn't really getting that excitement, I would have frags glued down for months and they would look great, just would never grow. I dunno maybe my reef is not mature enough for stuff to really be taking off but at the same time a year ago on my MH tank my experiences were very different. I feel like with LEDs i could literally have a frag garden for years with literally no growth. On the other end some corals are growing well i just dont have the money to buy 2 more Radion Pros to give more spread, so to me its really not all that great of a savings or a benefit.
 
Last edited:
updates 2/28/14

Decided to make so aquascape changes, I felt like after adding more rock I was moving in the direction of the dreaded "rock wall". With that in mind I wanted to add some more space for corals and negative space for fish, pretty happy with how it turned out in just 2 hours....thats a record for me.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00472.jpg
    DSC00472.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC00471.jpg
    DSC00471.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC00473.jpg
    DSC00473.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 313

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new