25G Mixed Reef with Interruptus Angel

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My little nano has come a long way. Was mostly used as a coral holding station for my other tank, but i have since turned it into a little bonzai garden with a special resident.

IMG_5568.jpg

Tank dimensions as follows

60 x 40 x 40cm (24 x 15 x 15in) 96 Litres (25G)

Equipment list
- Sicce 4.0 Return pump
- Hailea HK300A 1/4HP ( I live on the equator, we use chillers here instead of heaters!)
- Good ol' chunk of Maxspect Bioballs almost 4kg (8-9pounds) worth in the AIO segment
- UV sterilizer that could fit in the AIO and also function as a filter
- H2Ocean ATO
- Tunze Macroreactor 3181
- Old Jebao dosing pump dosing AFR only

For the scape, i built an acrylic shelf with clear acrylic to try and create a floating reef look, on the left, i build a slanted shelf with egg crate to display mushrooms on frag plugs. Hard to look at them all lying flat.

IMG_5571.jpg

For live stock

- 1 Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Strawberry Crab
- 1 Fire Shrimp
- Some bumblebee snails, trochus, abalone
- 2 Lettuce Nudibranchs
- 1 Pom Pom Crab
- 1 Porcelain anemone crab
- 1 Interruptus Angel

I had a feeding harlequin file fish (orange spotted) but after 2 months the Interruptus took it out.

Angel has only pecked one acan to death (obviously the most expensive one) and left everything else alone. The torches, gonios, zoas, sps are all chilling. SPS do get nipped slightly in the day, but good PE at night.

I have no intention of adding anything else, this is a grow out tank for the Interruptus before he joins my 7ft display when he outgrows this. Just more corals wherever I can find the space!
Nutrients are no3/po4 (macro reactor is amazing) in the morning on hanna checkers, but i feed 3 times a day with frozen food like pe mysis and lrs reef frenzy, i dose aminos every 3-4 days or so, and dose Micro-E, Iodium, MG plus by Aquaforest by hand as and when I remember. Main supplement is from AFR on a doser over the course of the day.

Thank your for reading! If theres anything cool you thinK i could do equipment wise to make my life easier let me know!

IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My little nano has come a long way. Was mostly used as a coral holding station for my other tank, but i have since turned it into a little bonzai garden with a special resident.

IMG_5568.jpg

Equipment list
- Sicce 4.0 Return pump
- Hailea HK300A 1/4HP ( I live on the equator, we use chillers here instead of heaters!)
- Good ol' chunk of Maxspect Bioballs almost 4kg (8-9pounds) worth in the AIO segment
- H2Ocean ATO

For the scape, i built an acrylic shelf with clear acrylic to try and create a floating reef look, on the left, i build a slanted shelf with egg crate to display mushrooms on frag plugs. Hard to look at them all lying flat.

IMG_5571.jpg

For live stock

- 1 Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Strawberry Crab
- 1 Fire Shrimp
- 2 Lettuce Nudibranchs
- 1 Pom Pom Crab
- 1 Interruptus Angel

I had a feeding harlequin file fish (orange spotted) but after 2 months the Interruptus took it out.

Angel has only pecked one acan to death (obviously the most expensive one) and left everything else alone. The torches, gonios, zoas, sps are all chilling. SPS do get nipped slightly in the day, but good PE at night.

I have no intention of adding anything else, this is a grow out tank for the Interruptus before he joins my 7ft display when he outgrows this. Just more corals wherever I can find the space!
Nutrients are no3/po4 (macro reactor is amazing) in the morning on hanna checkers, but i feed 3 times a day with frozen food like pe mysis and lrs reef frenzy, i dose aminos every 3-4 days or so, and dose Micro-E, Iodium, MG plus by Aquaforest by hand as and when I remember. Main supplement is from AFR on a doser over the course of the day.

Thank your for reading! If theres anything cool you thinK i could do equipment wise to make my life easier let me know!

IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
Loving the coral variety in your tank!!!

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

IMG_5568.jpg

Equipment list
- Sicce 4.0 Return pump
- H2Ocean ATO

IMG_5571.jpg

For live stock

- 1 Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Strawberry Crab
- 1 Fire Shrimp
- 2 Lettuce Nudibranchs
- 1 Pom Pom Crab
- 1 Interruptus Angel

IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
Hey! I know you! Not really, but in a way I do! I've been closely inspecting your video regarding this tank because of one specific livestock that you had in there: OSFF!

I needed to make a decision on purchasing a OSFF via Divers Den and couldn't make a decision. After looking at your video, I gave it the green light and expect it Wednesday!

Awesome content by the way! I think I just watched your waterfall predator tank earlier. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I know you! Not really, but in a way I do! I've been closely inspecting your video regarding this tank because of one specific livestock that you had in there: OSFF!

I needed to make a decision on purchasing a OSFF via Divers Den and couldn't make a decision. After looking at your video, I gave it the green light and expect it Wednesday!

Awesome content by the way! I think I just watched your waterfall predator tank earlier. Keep up the good work!

Omg! Thats so awesome! Thanks for watching <3 I should do an update video soon heh.

Let me know how the OSFF does for you! I had more success isolating them in an observational QT and fed them for bout 5 weeks before putting them into the DT. Despite eating most didnt make it. If i had to do it again, I would mix focus + general cure to make sure i eliminate all internal parasites, flukes to a higher level of confidence. They are one of my favorite fish for sure! I was devastated when the interruptus took it out... but hey, its her penthouse.

I might make a species tank for them ! maybe one a large sps reef heh.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! Thats so awesome! Thanks for watching <3 I should do an update video soon heh.

Let me know how the OSFF does for you! I had more success isolating them in an observational QT and fed them for bout 5 weeks before putting them into the DT. Despite eating most didnt make it. If i had to do it again, I would mix focus + general cure to make sure i eliminate all internal parasites, flukes to a higher level of confidence. They are one of my favorite fish for sure! I was devastated when the interruptus took it out... but hey, its her penthouse.

I might make a species tank for them ! maybe one a large sps reef heh.
A separate tank for a pair would be awesome! I saw a video where a mating pair's color would get crazy vibrant during spawning.

Thanks for the tip regarding focus and general cure. I just placed the order for both and did a quick research with good results. I am under the impression that I can feed straight into my DT that house 5-6 sps frags and 2 carpet haddonis since focus makes it reef safe, right?

Shout out to your channel "Tank Talks!" Liked, Subbed, and smashed the notification bell!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is, arguably safe. The Focus binds it and makes it reef-safe and oral ingestion of food is better than spraying and praying and hope the fish gets the medication it needs inside itself. im doing it now with my tanks full of corals nad have not seen any ill effects. You arent suppose to feed more than 2 feedings of medicated food a day so theres that.

you can read abit more here on Humblefish on how they soak food and why. But heres the gist of it relevant to our discussion -

"Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. I personally feel that soaking it in fish food is an acceptable risk; whereas dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine (or a FOWLR)."

Thanks for the sub!

KÜRŞAT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light are you using? is it enough how is the growth?

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly me! I left out the lights. I was using a maxspect blue jump light for the first few months. The last month or so ive swapped out to a Radion g6 xr 15 and both have been great. Im running i on the AB+ template white and non-blues at 24% at a 85% intensity. Acclimated the corals to the new lights over 14days with the acclimation mode without losing anything!

Growth is great! Some of the acros are showing growth tips and the colors are staying strong and not dulling or browning out. My walt disney came in brownish/blue but is now showing pink and light blue shades over a month.

KÜRŞAT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly me! I left out the lights. I was using a maxspect blue jump light for the first few months. The last month or so ive swapped out to a Radion g6 xr 15 and both have been great. Im running i on the AB+ template white and non-blues at 24% at a 85% intensity. Acclimated the corals to the new lights over 14days with the acclimation mode without losing anything!

Growth is great! Some of the acros are showing growth tips and the colors are staying strong and not dulling or browning out. My walt disney came in brownish/blue but is now showing pink and light blue shades over a month.
have you measured par i am using xr15 g4 pro same dimensions and i don't see much increase in sps, density is 60%

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice lookin tank! What lens do you use over your camera? Colors look great

Thank you! I just picked up one of those orange lenses[

QUOTE="KÜRŞAT, post: 11242246, member: 124305"]
have you measured par i am using xr15 g4 pro same dimensions and i don't see much increase in sps, density is 60%
[/QUOTE]
u can clip onto your iphone from the LFS. Not sure it has any brand associated with it.

Hey i havent actually measured the par in the tank, but im running mine on 95%. Mines a mixed reef so i think thats sufficient and i took 14 days for light acclimation. if i did pure sps i mightve gone for the xr30 instead. thats what i see most people doing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back