Achilles + Dragon Moray incoming Large build!

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends!

Returning reefer, and have a custom 7x2x2 foot tank with a 6x1.5x1.5 foot sump coming in next week finally! I will be building the tank and scape (pvc pipes with rock rubble glued around it) around two show pieces I have always wanted.

The infamous Achilles Tang and beautiful Japanese Dragon Moray.

I will also be adding mostly exclusively soft coral and some NPS to get that pink/green underground lush forest look. I have opted to go with the red sea reefer mat and an oversized skimmer (Skimz SL200 1,000-1,300 l/h; honestly i didnt realize how big this would be, and its more than 2 foot tall!) so water should be clear and clean despite the potential heavy bioload from the eel, and feeding the eel. I am also going without a sand bed.

I understand the challenges of price range of these fish. A trusted LFS in my area does a 7-14 day TTM QT for some fishes at an additional cost and i will not be sparing that expense on the AT (or pretty much any other fish i introduce). The scape will be more open to facilitate the Achilles' need for speed and space, as well as two gyres and a strong return pump that will hopefully provide enough turbulence to emulate that surf zone flow it enjoys.

The tank top will be tightly fitted with glass panels with ventilation to prevent the eel from pulling a Houdini.

Now, dear friends, i have some options from this point and wanted to see if anyone had any cool suggestions or comments that I might have overlooked.

1. Going with some Zoas and Corallimorphs (which means no large angels, that being said, i dont really care if the angels snack on the other soft coral much, they probably wont like the taste much. Priorities are Fish > coral ifor this system.)

2. What other fish should i consider? Crosshatches would be nice but they are neigh impossible to get where I am. For the rest of my stocking, I am looking for fish we dont often see that are really cool or rare but hardy.

The AT and Dragon are imperative, as well as the soft corals. Everything else is just accessory to the fact. Its really looking like a predator soft coral tank, and thats been done before, but its what I really like the look of.

I don't have pics of the tank yet, but will probably start a build thread when I start setting it up!
Looking forward to this adventure and all the insight my fellow reefers might have.

Cheers!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Sounds exciting, you should start up a 'Build Thread' to track the progress and show off some pics :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank makers arrived bright and early in the morning to set some of the primary stuff up!

However, we've run into a bit of an issue... the skimmer is too large. The cap will not be able to exit the sump, so this will require some ingenuity in cleaning the cup (or simply getting a smaller skimmer. The dimensions were probably lost in communication with the tank maker and the vendor, but we'll see what we can do.)

Also the hood on the top serves to cover the water level and some pvc piping, but i much like the look of the tank without it. Makes the tank look bigger and the space roomier. Might just remove it entirely.

Silicone is drying so no water till later in the week!

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 64
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile but sump issues have been solved and the tank has been cycling for the past 3 weeks. Using a seneye connected to a spare laptop to monitor NH3 levels and its hovering between 0.019-0.025ppm, ph at 8.0. I live on the equator and we only have chillers and no heaters on our reefs and i've yet to turn it on in bid to save on the electricity bills.

The base of the scape rocks were all epoxied and left to dry for a few days before putting them into the tank and epoxying it altogether. The pvc pipes are for the eel/eels but that will probably be the final addition to the tank many moons down the road.

I have acquired some fish that are at quarantine at a trusted LFS and also have a small 25g coral QT going on in attempt for ich eradication (may not succeed, but hey, if im starting fresh, best food forward, eh?). The corals will be in a fishless QT for 76 days (a number most thrown around in my research for fallow periods) and i have been building up my first batch of corals to go in sometime in October. Have 5 snails and a cleaner shrimp in there too.

If all goes smoothly, i will be adding fish to the tank on the 23rd and will post an update.

I just realized i dont have pics of whats going on in the sump, but ill do that in another post.

Thanks for reading!

IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3062.jpg
IMG_3061.jpg
IMG_3050.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are finally in!

The black tang beat up the achilles while acclimating and looked like it was looking BAD, but all fins healed today and no aggression apart from the occasional flip out. All feeding wonderfully on Hikari seaweed extreme, vitalis pellets and flakes, nori and frozen mysis all mixed with a touch of selcon several times a day.

List
Achilles Tang
Black Tang
Purple Tang
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Yellow Foxface
Copperband butterfly

Mostly going for smaller, friendly fish that the tangs wont straight up try to off! Any ideas for weird, uncommon fish welcome!

Attachments

• video-d9191768-bf4f-4a49-80b9-a4b113f21bbf-1661332363.mp4
    5 MB
  • IMG_3200.mov
    10.1 MB
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 56

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you have a tight fitting lid for your dragon eel. I would hate to find him on the floor. The center rock structure will probably work as a home for for him, but I think one would be more comfortable with a sand bed. It has been 30 years since I kept one. A really spectacular eel, but too expensive for me now. I wish you luck.

OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you have a tight fitting lid for your dragon eel. I would hate to find him on the floor. The center rock structure will probably work as a home for for him, but I think one would be more comfortable with a sand bed. It has been 30 years since I kept one. A really spectacular eel, but too expensive for me now. I wish you luck.
thanks! I have really heavy glass covers in 6 segements across the eurobraces on the top. I dont think ill be going with a dragon eel after all, but probably a more friendly zebra eel :)

Ill get a dragon some day...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back