265 Gallon build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet you thought I forgot about you. You'll have no such luck!

There are quite a few things you can do on the DIY side for cable management. However, knowing that you're building this entire system to be aesthetically appealing in every aspect, I suggest you check out the link below. As you will see, they carry all things cable/wire management in all kinds of colors. I'm sure you'll find whatever you're going to need to help keep your sweet looking system looking sweet.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ca...Xuoj6EabANDmx4yeUsQC58yhg3yZzEXBoCFTQQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you thought I forgot about you. You'll have no such luck!

There are quite a few things you can do on the DIY side for cable management. However, knowing that you're building this entire system to be aesthetically appealing in every aspect, I suggest you check out the link below. As you will see, they carry all things cable/wire management in all kinds of colors. I'm sure you'll find whatever you're going to need to help keep your sweet looking system looking sweet.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ca...Xuoj6EabANDmx4yeUsQC58yhg3yZzEXBoCFTQQAvD_BwE
Haha Yes! This is what I needed in my life, the back of my nano is a disaster with all the cords and I didnt want this one to be that way thanks @crusso1993!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... ok... ok...

What gives? You ok? Updates?

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! I ordered 300 lbs of rock from billysreefconnection.com a few days ago. I'll post some pics of that as I start to create the aquascape I want. Still waiting on the sump to be delivered. They said it should ship it tomorrow but we'll see, then I can work on plumbing. My wife won't let me buy anything else lol. I still need plumbing, return pumps and an rodi filter to get water in the tank and begin cycling. That'll have to wait a bit or she may kill me. I did just spend about $600 on...rock lol. Good deal regardless but it's still rock

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! I ordered 300 lbs of rock from billysreefconnection.com a few days ago. I'll post some pics of that as I start to create the aquascape I want. Still waiting on the sump to be delivered. They said it should ship it tomorrow but we'll see, then I can work on plumbing. My wife won't let me buy anything else lol. I still need plumbing, return pumps and an rodi filter to get water in the tank and begin cycling. That'll have to wait a bit or she may kill me. I did just spend about $600 on...rock lol. Good deal regardless but it's still rock

All good things come to those who wait. Or something like that. I've never been a big believer in this saying but have never really known its origin.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with billysreefconnection and will have to check it out. Sounds like a pretty decent deal and I'm quite interested in seeing the rock and scape you design.

You have an RODI picked out? If so, what are you going to use?

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good things come to those who wait. Or something like that. I've never been a big believer in this saying but have never really known its origin.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with billysreefconnection and will have to check it out. Sounds like a pretty decent deal and I'm quite interested in seeing the rock and scape you design.

You have an RODI picked out? If so, what are you going to use?

I heard a lot of good things about his rock. It's all the same things as marco rocks or reef saver or the multiple others. They are all mined out of the same areas in Florida. Billy cleans his well so we shall see.

Our water here in corpus christi sucks... like bad. Looking at the water quality report it had something like 440 TDS. I've never had an rodi but from my research I'm going with the big gun and getting the 7 stage from bulk reef supply, I think I could probably get away with the 75gpd but maybe I'll get a bigger one

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard a lot of good things about his rock. It's all the same things as marco rocks or reef saver or the multiple others. They are all mined out of the same areas in Florida. Billy cleans his well so we shall see.

Our water here in corpus christi sucks... like bad. Looking at the water quality report it had something like 440 TDS. I've never had an rodi but from my research I'm going with the big gun and getting the 7 stage from bulk reef supply, I think I could probably get away with the 75gpd but maybe I'll get a bigger one

Very cool about Billy's rock.

I don't think I knew you lived in Corpus Christi and have to admit I am jealous!

440 TDS isn't really that bad, comparatively speaking. I've seen many members' numbers much higher than that and as high as 1200 TDS.

I realize you have picked out the BRS 7 stage unit and one of the things I understand about you is, it appears, once you've made your mind up about something you pull the trigger. However, out of curiosity, have you looked into other units? The reason I ask is because of the units Melev's Reef (Marc) sells.
It's my understanding that his attention to detail he puts in these RO/DI units is second to none. He also has a booster pump on his 5 stage 150gpd unit. Marc hand builds all of his units and not only does he hand build them he uses top notch membranes like Spectrapure. I've heard from multiple people who have used both and they all say that this system is way better than the 7 stage that BRS sells and it includes the booster pump. Plus, when you start running dollar to dollar comps Melev's is much less expensive. Oh, I'm sure if you want a 7 stage from Marc he'd build one for you and it would still be cheaper than a BRS model with their pump. Anyway, just something to consider. Here's a link for you;
http://www.melevsreef.com/product/150-gpd-boosted-rodi-system

Last edited:

Reefium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you put a layer of that insulation board under the tank, between tank and stand.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool about Billy's rock.

I don't think I knew you lived in Corpus Christi and have to admit I am jealous!

440 TDS isn't really that bad, comparatively speaking. I've seen many members' numbers much higher than that and as high as 1200 TDS.

I realize you have picked out the BRS 7 stage unit and one of the things I understand about you is, it appears, once you've made your mind up about something you pull the trigger. However, out of curiosity, have you looked into other units? The reason I ask is because of the units Melev's Reef (Marc) sells.
It's my understanding that his attention to detail he puts in these RO/DI units is second to none. He also has a booster pump on his 5 stage 150gpd unit. Marc hand builds all of his units and not only does he hand build them he uses top notch membranes like Spectrapure. I've heard from multiple people who have used both and they all say that this system is way better than the 7 stage that BRS sells and it includes the booster pump. Plus, when you start running dollar to dollar comps Melev's is much less expensive. Oh, I'm sure if you want a 7 stage from Marc he'd build one for you and it would still be cheaper than a BRS model with their pump. Anyway, just something to consider. Here's a link for you;
http://www.melevsreef.com/product/150-gpd-boosted-rodi-system
Lol you seem to have definitely figured me out already! I will definitely look into that. BRS offers a lifetime warranty so it's hard to beat but I'll for sure check it out.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 how do you quarantine your fish? Do you know anyone who can chime in as to the best methods for various species? Ive read countless threads and trying to get a plan together to eliminate disease from the get go. The fish desired in the tank are as followed and some of which (wrasses, dragonets,eel will require different methods)
-desjardini, blue, Achilles tang
- school of green chromis
- school of different anthias
- zebra or snowflake eel
- pair of mandarins
- blue dot jawfish
-diamond watchman goby
-flasher wrasse
-pair of clowns (taken from my nano so I can keep it fallow and use it as a coral quarantine tank)
-foxface
-clown goby?

Currently I'm thinking a large 55 gallon where I'll treat copper power and prazipro for most of the fish. Tangs will be treated together hence the 55 gallon.
For the eel and mandarins treat with CP and metroplex for 14 days then transfer to seperate qt tank for observation.
So I'll need 3 qt tanks one 55 gallon for copper
Two smaller 10-20 gallon, one hospital with no meds, one for CP.

What say you?

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this and following along... Great looking cabinet and canopy! How are you going to get your sump into that cabinet? Does one of the ends come off?
Thanks!
Lol the only way I could do it because of the wall on either end of the tank and the sump being 60" was to drop it in before putting the tank on the stand. I didn't want to sacrifice support in the front with the legs so once it's in, it's in. I should have no issue doing maintenance and removing other equipment though

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use aluminum right angle channel to mount your lights.

Mine are hanging inside my canopy, but it would work just as well on top...

20190216_183242-XL.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 how do you quarantine your fish? Do you know anyone who can chime in as to the best methods for various species? Ive read countless threads and trying to get a plan together to eliminate disease from the get go. The fish desired in the tank are as followed and some of which (wrasses, dragonets,eel will require different methods)
-desjardini, blue, Achilles tang
- school of green chromis
- school of different anthias
- zebra or snowflake eel
- pair of mandarins
- blue dot jawfish
-diamond watchman goby
-flasher wrasse
-pair of clowns (taken from my nano so I can keep it fallow and use it as a coral quarantine tank)
-foxface
-clown goby?

Currently I'm thinking a large 55 gallon where I'll treat copper power and prazipro for most of the fish. Tangs will be treated together hence the 55 gallon.
For the eel and mandarins treat with CP and metroplex for 14 days then transfer to seperate qt tank for observation.
So I'll need 3 qt tanks one 55 gallon for copper
Two smaller 10-20 gallon, one hospital with no meds, one for CP.

What say you?

Looks like you're definitely on to a good plan!

I'm sure you've already found this in your research but in case you've missed it. Here's a very good system to follow;

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

As for me, well, it's a long story that I'll explain in a PM when I get the time.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back