270G - 4'x8' Plywood Frag Tank Build

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm cool with that.

I used 1.5" rigid Styrofoam from home depot. I wanted to seperate the 2 sheets of plywood so it would be stiffer when i screwed it all together and let me tell you its very very stiff. I was going to add a 2x4 lip around the top but it doesn't need it and i like the rimless look.

Im really not sure how much pond shield i need so i got 1 1.5-quart kit in white. If i need more ill order it from amazon and it comes next day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2ZWLGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I want to do something very similar to this once I have some more free time.

OP
OP
James Hopkins

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the overflow done and drilled all the holes for the bulkheads.
Next step is the Pond shield :).
I really want to put water in it by this weekend.
IMG_1297.jpeg
IMG_1303.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cool with that.

I used 1.5" rigid Styrofoam from home depot. I wanted to seperate the 2 sheets of plywood so it would be stiffer when i screwed it all together and let me tell you its very very stiff. I was going to add a 2x4 lip around the top but it doesn't need it and i like the rimless look.

Im really not sure how much pond shield i need so i got 1 1.5-quart kit in white. If i need more ill order it from amazon and it comes next day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2ZWLGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey The 4th... I realize it's going to.be a shallow frag tank but am curious. Will you be adding fiberglass to the seams?

OP
OP
James Hopkins

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey The 4th... I realize it's going to.be a shallow frag tank but am curious. Will you be adding fiberglass to the seams?

I have never used Pond Shield before so i am going to add fiberglass to the seams because that's what there video says to do.
I used gorilla wood glue on every joint so i don't think i have to use fiberglass but i would rather be safe then sorry. I'm going to have to cut it up if i ever sell my house because its not fitting up the basement stairs lol

OP
OP
James Hopkins

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an experience with Pond Armor?

So im thinking that im not going to have enough white pond armor to do the whole tank and i can't get more white until Friday but i want to start putting water in it Friday night.
What do you think about doing one cote of black tonight then going over it with white the next night? I figure i could leave the overflow box black but go over the rest of the tank whit the white.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So im thinking that im not going to have enough white pond armor to do the whole tank and i can't get more white until Friday but i want to start putting water in it Friday night.
What do you think about doing one cote of black tonight then going over it with white the next night? I figure i could leave the overflow box black but go over the rest of the tank whit the white.

I do not, but speaking as someone who often gets so excited and tries to rush everything perhaps you should just use the colour you want and push back the water a few days. You have after all said you plan on this being a forever tank and will cut it up if you sell your house.

Looks like the build is going great! I wish I had the skillset to make something like this.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you planning on having a thinned down coat of the Pond Shield before you apply the two regular coats?

@AlexG has a bit of experience using Pond Shield as he used it on both his 480g reef and 720g Fowler tank.Hopefully, he'll jump in...

Also, +1 on not rushing things.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never mixed colors of pond armor before but I dont think it would be an issue. You can always contact the company as they are normally pretty responsive. Depending on how even a coat is it might not turn out how you like it if the black shows through the white especially after sanding between coats. I agree with not rushing things if it just takes a few more days to get the job done.

OP
OP
James Hopkins

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to fill it with water yesterday. I should have enough RODI to finish filling it tonight.
Next is to make sure the alk, calk, and mag are the same levels as my main system before I open the valve and start circulating the water together.

0DFA45CD-DAE9-4802-B93A-C97640C5D2EC.jpeg
FEE6BAB4-1298-43DC-A205-8AF280148F9F.jpeg
9097009E-76CD-4C62-B72E-218C326E7601.jpeg
AC366D13-2C01-4A2B-8541-D2AE37115058.jpeg
F14C87E4-25E5-450E-AAFF-DCE55ED43B44.jpeg
2ADD565B-04FC-40F0-9BC6-8DCB91B78B60.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a really good idea. I can do 3 on each side and off set them.
It will also be alot cheaper then using 6 power heads and im not even sure if the magnets will go through 3/4" plywood lol
I'd be afraid if corners only have fiberglass may peel up with time. Just do your homework before starting. Love the idea

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to fill it with water yesterday. I should have enough RODI to finish filling it tonight.
Next is to make sure the alk, calk, and mag are the same levels as my main system before I open the valve and start circulating the water together.

Awesome! How many coats did you end up doing of each color?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done!

OP
OP
James Hopkins

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How many coats did you end up doing of each color?

So i ended up using two 1.5 Quart kits in white. I also purchased a black that i ended up using for the overflow box and a stripe on one side. Everywhere got at least 2 coats. Looking back i should of just got a gallon of the white.

Also for anyone using Pond Shield make sure you don't mix more then half a kit at once unless you are pouring it on and using a squeegee to spread it. This stuff really has a hard 25-30 min working time.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back i should of just got a gallon of the white.

Usually a general rule with any type of coating, paint, stain or what have you, when your looking at using even slightly more than the smallest size you were hoping to get, it's never economical to buy two of them. Learned that trick many years ago in the working in the paint department.

BTW Loving the build! It's looking awesome! Keep up the great work I might use it for inspiration on a slightly smaller frag tank for myself;):p:)

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
any update?

Also what thickness plywood did you use? Nevermind, I found it in the first post 3/4 inch :)

I might have missed it and what screws did you use?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back