28gal jbj filter basket question

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano tank is completely stock I have the 28gal quad. What should I change in the filter/media tray that came with it? I read alot about the chemi pure elite. Is that something you can use over and over every month? I have been having a green algae problem and now Im seeing some red slime. Im hoping the chemi pure will help out with that. Im not sure how to use the chemi pure either. Do I just need to buy the small bags for it and dump it in then install it in the tray? What about the black sponge looking filter? Does that get changed out?

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there

This is what i use in my 24gallon nanocube

i use filter floss, purigen and chemipure elite

I replace the filter floss every week during water changes, and the chemi pure and purigen every 2-3 months

i have done it this way for about 3 years now, and alge in minumin if any at all

I also made this nice lil rack to stick in back of tank to hold my media(28gallon may be different set up in back)
DSC00857.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00859.jpg

hope this helps

mark

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos can be fickle, but honestly, less is more. I have 5 nano's as well as 2 large 220 gallon show systems.

Chemi pure is defiantly something I use. I don;t use Elite but it doesn't hurt. It is carbon with an additional media that promotes anaerobic bacteria and lasts an average of 2 to 3 months.

One thing about nano's is because of their small water volume, water changes are key to success. I do mine every week or so, approx 5 gallons per change.

The algae suggest you are overfeeding the tank. That is the main cause I see for algae issues. I use the foam pads that come with it for clearing. You can use some filter floss on top if you wish. Only my Oceanic Nano so I have to use filter floss on. JBJ the sponge works fine (ad gets cleaned regularly).

I also recommend you remove the BIO balls...they aren;t necessary and often promote PO4..more harm than help in my opinion.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 116 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back