29 gal biocube build :)

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm finally starting a build, and have loads of questions. I want to do it all right this time. Ive had larger tanks in the past (55gals, and 75 gals) and always just flew by the seat of my pants and made loads of mistakes in the process. lol. i've researched for about 10 years and finally am dipping in
smile.gif

I have a Coralife Biocube 29 gal, still empty. I'm filling it as soon as my stand arrives.

I plan to keep stock lights for the time being and upgrading to leds within the next year or so.

I'm planning live rock and white live sand. My fish list plan is: 2 true percs (added last), a citron (clown) goby, a sixline wrasse, and a royal gramma. i'm planning various corals, mostly softies (shrooms, zoos, etc) and maybe get into some lps with the lighting upgrade.

I've been researching mods on this tank like crazy and am stuck between two ideas. with get the in-tank media box and fuge box. or to get the media box and the Tunze DOC 9001. Would it be better to have the fuge or the skimmer? Is there a way to do both in this small tank?

What are some decent heaters, for the 29 gal display and also for a 10 quarantine?

Another question, what are your feelings about quarentine? treat all fishing no matter what? treat only if sick? etc.. dip all corals or just if you see pests?

thanks for all your help. Can't wait to hurry up to wait the cycle out!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 29g biocube and can offer some advice. I would go with the intank media basket skip the refuge get the tunze 9001 and if you feel you still need an extra nutrient removal system use a santa monica hog.5 ATS in the same chamber with the skimmer and media basket (yes it fits). Also I use a cobalt neotherm 100w heater but based on some recent posts would not recommend it. Also add the 6- line last if you feel you must have one. They tend to not let any new additions live peacefully or at all. I QT all fish. I just observe and don't treat unless there is a problem. All fish are QT for a minimum of 5 weeks. Always dip corals no matter where or who from. Things happen and a pest introduced into your tank could ruin your underwater wonder
So i'm finally starting a build, and have loads of questions. I want to do it all right this time. Ive had larger tanks in the past (55gals, and 75 gals) and always just flew by the seat of my pants and made loads of mistakes in the process. lol. i've researched for about 10 years and finally am dipping in
smile.gif

I have a Coralife Biocube 29 gal, still empty. I'm filling it as soon as my stand arrives.

I plan to keep stock lights for the time being and upgrading to leds within the next year or so.

I'm planning live rock and white live sand. My fish list plan is: 2 true percs (added last), a citron (clown) goby, a sixline wrasse, and a royal gramma. i'm planning various corals, mostly softies (shrooms, zoos, etc) and maybe get into some lps with the lighting upgrade.

I've been researching mods on this tank like crazy and am stuck between two ideas. with get the in-tank media box and fuge box. or to get the media box and the Tunze DOC 9001. Would it be better to have the fuge or the skimmer? Is there a way to do both in this small tank?

What are some decent heaters, for the 29 gal display and also for a 10 quarantine?

Another question, what are your feelings about quarentine? treat all fishing no matter what? treat only if sick? etc.. dip all corals or just if you see pests?

thanks for all your help. Can't wait to hurry up to wait the cycle out!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the skimmer over the fuge. There is not a lot room for a fuge and it would not be able to accomplish much. I really like the eheim jager heaters and one of the smaller ones should work just fine. For coral a dip should be fine but you might miss some nuisance critters. For fish I do not quarantine but many people do and they are playing it safe. I can not qt due to my mother who will not set up another fish tank. Some fish however can not tolerate copper that well, so always research that before hand. I

OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, thanks for the response yea i was leaning skimmer but just wanted input. and the fish list isnt set in stone so maybe ill just nix the wrasse. i have loads of time to think about it :)

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six should be fine as long as added last. But they can be devils sometimes. I have had two, both times added last and they have been fine. But others have had pretty bad experiences with them so it is a hit and miss. If you want a wrasse go with a possum wrasse.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I have one but he was also the last fish added. He nipped a few fins at first then settled down. Very beautiful fish.
Six should be fine as long as added last. But they can be devils sometimes. I have had two, both times added last and they have been fine. But others have had pretty bad experiences with them so it is a hit and miss. If you want a wrasse go with a possum wrasse.

OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! i love the colors on the wrasse and the personalities. i'll make a definitive fish list as i go along :)

OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally filled her up.. now time to cycle! This is not the finally aquascape... I kinda just piled the rocks in for the time being.

Attachments

• 1425692761633.jpg
    1425692761633.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS!! It's so exciting lol. So far ive changed the pump from the stock to a MJ1200, removed the bioballs and replaced with a Tunze 9001 Skimmer, and an intank media Basket with filter floss, chemipure elite and purigen. I decided to just take the dive and upgrade the lights so have an AI Hydro 26 ready to be modded into the lid soon.

We've also got our first fish in quarantine while the tank cycles. (two birds one stone right). Deviated from the stocking plan a bit as my daughter fell in love with a firefish. (i was going to avoid them because of their tendancy to jump but oh well)

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 274

dman3572

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Sounds like your ready! Nice to see your family is enjoying fish keeping as much as you are. I love the color firefish have but them jumping out are a little bit of a turn down.

OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did our first tests today and we definitely have Ammonia and Nitrites!

Attachments

• tests.jpg
    tests.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 264

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did our first tests today and we definitely have Ammonia and Nitrites!

Congrats! I started with a 12g nano and love love love it. Have fun and ask a lot of questions here. That's how I learned!

OP
OP
C

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New aquascape.. I rearranged the rock work yesterday and this us what im liking.. :) you can see some of the orange coraline on that front rock. There is also dark purple, pink and green coraline also! I have no idea why they flipped upside down :/

Attachments

• 1425916554296.jpg
    1425916554296.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 1425916592026.jpg
    1425916592026.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 239

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back