29 gallon reef build thread.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this thread I will be documenting the progress on f my 29 gallon reef tank.
Marine depot overflow box in, as well as the intake. Also have pictures of the sump. Will be heading out to the hardware store today to get plumbing supplies.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I leak tested, and the overflow box sprung a leak. It was drilled to close to the side, so the silicone put it at an angle, which let water get through. I removed the box and cut some of the silicone. I added a fresh bead, and pushed the overflow box into it. I’m waiting for it to dry, and will leak test again tomorrow. If this doesn’t work, I might add a bulkhead which could serve as a drain, and put the overflow more towards the center.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may suggest. Where you are using the 1/4 turn valve to adjust the flow you will be better off with a gate valve. Much easier to fine tune. Also unions are your friend makes easier if you need to disassemble in future for any reason. Good luck with the leak. Always a bummer when your almost there and then the dang water leaks out somewhere.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may suggest. Where you are using the 1/4 turn valve to adjust the flow you will be better off with a gate valve. Much easier to fine tune. Also unions are your friend makes easier if you need to disassemble in future for any reason. Good luck with the leak. Always a bummer when your almost there and then the dang water leaks out somewhere.
I found the ball valve to be much easier to attach, as it had the unions. I found another way to fix the leak, and hopefully will be able to continue with the build tomorrow.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leak testing now. The overflow didn’t leak for 1 and 1/2hour, but I just noticed a droplet, I tightened the bulkhead, and it stopped. I will leave a t and hope it stays this way.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a be try loud gurgling sound and water splashing out of the pipe. How can I get it a bit more quiet.

Attachments

• 60407921093__D7A12475-D3F0-49CA-847E-860A4391E899.MOV
    757.8 KB

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attachment doesn’t work but research the herbie drain. That’s what your overflow uses. I have the same style but mine is a Fiji and super quiet. Like I said before will need to be adjusted with the valve. You want it to be right at the emergency overflow and have it drain down the lower drain. Also I would put a strainer on the lower pipe.

5ADECD5B-D437-4592-AAD5-9A3C82A50CE3.jpeg 2C1AB3D2-69CF-4863-A266-9671A135151A.jpeg

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attachment doesn’t work but research the herbie drain. That’s what your overflow uses. I have the same style but mine is a Fiji and super quiet. Like I said before will need to be adjusted with the valve. You want it to be right at the emergency overflow and have it drain down the lower drain. Also I would put a strainer on the lower pipe.

5ADECD5B-D437-4592-AAD5-9A3C82A50CE3.jpeg 2C1AB3D2-69CF-4863-A266-9671A135151A.jpeg
Yes I can’t fit a whole herbie system, but I add a small piece of pvc with holes and a cap with a single hole and air tube in it, which allows for air to go in. But most of the noise is from the water splashing down I am buying a small connection to have the pipe submerged in the water. Would that help.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water splashing down from the tank into the overflow. If so just adjust the valve so it slows down the drain allowing it to fill up. Which overflow do you have again?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water splashing down from the tank into the overflow. If so just adjust the valve so it slows down the drain allowing it to fill up. Which overflow do you have again?
I have a marine depot. Copy of the one you have basically.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s similar to mine then you can absolutely do a herbie style overflow that will work for you. Research it that will stop the gurgle use you 1/4 turn to adjust the flow. The pipe may work. Did you try turning your valve to close it? That will cause the water to drain slower thus raising the water level and getting rid of the splash noise. Looking at your setup def. put another piece of pipe in that bulkhead that will be lower than the emergency drain. This will help

Last edited:
OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s similar to mine then you can absolutely do a bean style overflow that will work for you. Research it that will stop the gurgle use you 1/4 turn to adjust the flow
Is yours the medium sized box maybe it looks a bit bigger. Mine is the small. The pipe that would go inside is 1” and it doesn’t have enough space to have a complete bean style. Is your assembled? Can you send a picture of your bean style overflow.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the herbie style overflow working, which makes it much more quiet, but now the majority of the noise comes from the water going into the internal weir. Will I just have to live with it?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build was paused this week, today I added a gasket, which stopped the leak on the marine depot box for now. I will be leak testing till Sunday, and if it doesn’t leak I’ll scape on Sunday. I’ll be filling the tank with RO/DI water throughout the week if I happen to scape on Sunday. As I’m only at home for so long each day, and don’t want to leave the RO running on its own.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back