29g MH question

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start my 29g project and I was wondering what you people would recommend in terms of lighting? I was thinking of going with a 250w fixture but I'm not 100% sold on that idea just yet. I am going to keep just about everything except for anemones in the tank. With the SPS being up high in the tank.

I plan on starting this project soon (sorry it took so long Bob) and I will post a link to the project here, along with my 3g office Picotope.

Thanks

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 250 SE and 2x65w PC Actinic on my 29 and I think it was the best set up I've had. Just provide shaded areas for those that don't like light. Look forward to pics!!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be more then enough. over kill IMO.

I have a 150 on my biocube and LOVE it.
i have everything from nems to acros. evberything in full color and growing great. PLUS it is all in the factory hood so it looks great to.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I had a 20H back in the day with 250w DE MH with 14k phoenix over it and it was great! I have gone through about 4 tanks and a few different light setups since then and I hope to match that combo again.

I also needed to find a tank setup that I can easily take a part and transport if I decide to move again in a year. So it will have that for lighting, and a Tunze nanoreef pack for filtration (left over from last setup).

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at all possible, I would strongly recommend getting a tank that has either a 24" or 36" length and using t-5's. They are awesome for all types of coral.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250MH over my 29gal now and i love it!!! But in my new tank i'm setting up now i'll be using 150MH since the tank is more shallow.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250w DE 14000k Phoenix bulb with 2 aqua pro blu t5's. I have 1 green/blue acro that is on the bottom of the tank because it started to "bleach" at the top.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on starting this project soon (sorry it took so long Bob) and I will post a link to the project here, along with my 3g office Picotope.

Thanks

Slacker. Your zoas/palys are growing like crazy. Your not going to have enough room for them. :) PLBTA is looking good!!!!

250 would be plenty of light. Do you have one left over you could use? I would try and use what you got if you think you might move again. Then plan the next tank. It will cut down on cost.

normanbates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i plan on just keeping a, frogspawn, and a few other softies like some zoos and candy coral.

As for my light i am going to run 1 24'' t8 actnic and 1 24'' t8 20k then the 10k 70w hqi

so i would have 150w total but i have not decided on a lighting schedule yet. I am a full time student and i have class in the evening untill 8or9 depending on my professor. How ever i would like to keep some time in the evening for me to enjoy the tank.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol wattage means nothing. You could have 150w of pc lighting and still not be enough light for sps. However as long as you dont plan on any high light sps you should be fine.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, i agree. wattage is a thing of the past.

a 96 watt tek light (8 x 24 inch t5HO bulbs with SLRs) has been sustaining SPS (and growing LPS like crazy) over a FIFTYFOUR (54) gallon corner tank for a while now, and it looks more amazing every time i see it. thats right. 96 watts!!! before he had a 250 halide over it i think... with worse coloration. so, all in all, watts is not a good rule of thumb.

also, with advancements in halide reflectors, im sure you could get away with a less wattage bulb, if u use one of those fancy reflectors. '

JM $.02

normanbates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the lfs here swear by the t5ho, however they have mh over their coral tanks

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have heat problems running a 250w halide over a 29.
I'm thinking of running one over a well what I think is a 30gal Oceanic Cube . But Don't want to bother with a chiller.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have heat problems running a 250w halide over a 29.
I'm thinking of running one over a well what I think is a 30gal Oceanic Cube . But Don't want to bother with a chiller.

I have 2 pc fans on mine. one pulling air in and one blowing the air out. Keeps the tank below 82F (normal temp is 80F). Without the fans it gets to above 85.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back