OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Tank is doing great except a little bit of bubble algae. My nemesis from my first tank. Nitrates are under 5 finally after weekly 3 or 5 gallon wc all other parameters are great. Been removing the bubble algae with the wcs but there are spots I'll never get to without a ripdown. Might just have to control it manually unless anyone has any other suggestions? I'm happy with my coral growth and color as well. More pics to come. What do you guys think?

1449417403650.jpg

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank pics. Dosing vinegar almost a month and nitrates are starting to drop. Everything is doing well but not getting new heads on any of my acans. Not sure what the problem is. I target feed them once a week.

1452012376421.jpg

1452012397943.jpg

1452012415388.jpg

1452012431389.jpg

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the biocube 29 (on the process of upgrading my equipment) practically starting from zero.. only have two clowns and a shrimp.. what did you cover your top with? I also removed mine and put an ai hydra light..

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the biocube 29 (on the process of upgrading my equipment) practically starting from zero.. only have two clowns and a shrimp.. what did you cover your top with? I also removed mine and put an ai hydra light..
My bio was the 29 hqi setup so it has a glass top for metal halide setup, not the normal black top with florescent lighting inside.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing a pic of the "guts"? I'd like to see how your skimmer and stuff fit in the back.
Sure I had a pic in my phone but I must have erased it I'll do it when I get home from work but as it is chamber one fits my media reactor minimax and heater Chamber 2 has an in tank media basket with filter floss purigen and chemi pure, also in chamber 2 is the hydor Slim nano skimmer. The third chamber has my return pump and drop in algae scrubber the smallest one they make. That is honestly a pain in the butt to get in and out very tight. ATo is a must or the skimmer will not operate properly. Probably overkill but it fits and the tank is doing good so far except for a little bubble algae.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great. remember, you can do as large of a water change as you need to just match temp and salinity.

as for the bubble algae, couple emerald crabs would most likely take care of it.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great. remember, you can do as large of a water change as you need to just match temp and salinity.

as for the bubble algae, couple emerald crabs would most likely take care of it.
I hear soooo many mixed reviews of the emerald crabs. I'm scared:oops:

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear soooo many mixed reviews of the emerald crabs. I'm scared:oops:
theres mixed reviews on everything. in the end it only comes down to what you want to do. you can use emerald crabs, you can remove them manually, you can drain your tank put in all clean water and pull everything apart and remove the algae, its whatever you want to do.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres mixed reviews on everything. in the end it only comes down to what you want to do. you can use emerald crabs, you can remove them manually, you can drain your tank put in all clean water and pull everything apart and remove the algae, its whatever you want to do.
I want to win the lottery and do my dream build. :D but I'll probably just get some emerald crabs.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get by with one emerald no matter how bad your bubble algae problem is and I would recommend only one because they are omnivores and have been known to catch and eat fish. I would also keep them well fed. I had a fish die and found it half eaten while my emerald crab was clinging onto it. Go figure.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get by with one emerald no matter how bad your bubble algae problem is and I would recommend only one because they are omnivores and have been known to catch and eat fish. I would also keep them well fed. I had a fish die and found it half eaten while my emerald crab was clinging onto it. Go figure.
In these cases, the fish normally dies of other reasons and the crabs are scavenging what's food is available to them.

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put one bubble hungry emerald crab in my tank also took a few pics with my phone. I'm not getting much growth from my acan frags and I'm not sure why. I do feed them at least once a week.

1453857168656.jpg

1453857192851.jpg

1453857207651.jpg

1453857463049.jpg

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you added the coral beauty as the extra fish from the question in october nobody answered huh? haha, I like the dwarf angels I'm just not brave enough to pay for one and hope it doesn't nip at corals. I have a 29 biocube as well, only been running a month, so no corals YET. I used live everything from my other tanks when i started it so it had an ocellaris since day 1, I added a royal gramma today a, a month later. The list I'm going for includes the ocellaris, royal gramma, a firefish, a bangaii cardinal, a green chromis, and a snail only cuc. Undecided on coral choices, but your corals look like they are growing beautifully! Do you have a pic of your rockwork before you started adding corals? And what are you feeding/how often?

OP
OP
surfnsalt

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you added the coral beauty as the extra fish from the question in october nobody answered huh? haha, I like the dwarf angels I'm just not brave enough to pay for one and hope it doesn't nip at corals. I have a 29 biocube as well, only been running a month, so no corals YET. I used live everything from my other tanks when i started it so it had an ocellaris since day 1, I added a royal gramma today a, a month later. The list I'm going for includes the ocellaris, royal gramma, a firefish, a bangaii cardinal, a green chromis, and a snail only cuc. Undecided on coral choices, but your corals look like they are growing beautifully! Do you have a pic of your rockwork before you started adding corals? And what are you feeding/how often?
My coral beauty will nip at any sps I try to put in that tank except for my monti cap which is growing quite well. Other than that it doesn't touch anything and is one of my favorite fish. Don't really have a beginning pic and this tank was part of a tear down so some corals and rock are from that. Sounds like you have a good plan. Do you have a build tread? I target feed corals once a week with coral frenzy or my rodifer culture. Only feed fish once a day and I mix it up. Good pellets, fish frenzy, brine, mysis. For some reason this tank won't grow torch coral, hammer coral, I lost the ones I got. maybe it's my battle with nitrates, always 20ppm sometimes I'll get them down to 10 for a week or two. Thanks for checking out my thread. Best of luck with your cube.

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just started a thread on it yesterday in the members tank section, it really makes the choices of fish relatively low when you limit yourself to peaceful, reef safe, fish that can live in a 29g comfortably haha. I will probably start out with strictly photosynthetic corals. I feed my fish once a day as well but I just alternate omega one pellets and Frozen mysis shrimp. Have you considered a refugium with chaeto? That should help your nitrate problem, I built a diy media basket in the bank of my biocube in the middle chamber that divides it in half and holds all my filtration, and leaves the other half available to grow chaeto.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back