2am what’s that smell?

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well woke up at 2am last night to the smell of something burning like a bike tire!
after 10 minutes figured out it was the cobalt heater burning! It was in my waterbox 15 peninsula
Do not use these things!
I replaced with a spare jaeger and did a 2 gal water change added some more carbon.
I have followed that this morning with another 2 gal change and will follow this evening with another 2 gal.
How is this company allowed to make these still!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any electronic device can malfunction. That's why it's best to, among other things, run all heaters through an Inkbird or similar backup controller.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well woke up at 2am last night to the smell of something burning like a bike tire!
after 10 minutes figured out it was the cobalt heater burning! It was in my waterbox 15 peninsula
Do not use these things!
I replaced with a spare jaeger and did a 2 gal water change added some more carbon.
I have followed that this morning with another 2 gal change and will follow this evening with another 2 gal.
How is this company allowed to make these still!
I've had one blow up some years ago in a Waterbox 30g aio. 2nd cobalt ran away temp wise, Apex controller caught it in a sumped setup. The cobalts are utter junk for the price.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back