2nd battle with ich! Seriously frustrated. Really need some help to save my fish!

Bscivil99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s any help, I went through the same thing several months ago with my 75 gallon tank. My LFS recommended treating the water with Seachems Metroplex dosed to the tank and then add it to the fishes food along with Seachems focus. You may also want to add some garlic to the food. Fish will not eat metroplex in the food without the Focus and Garlic. After about 3 weeks ick was gone and has not returned in 10 weeks since. I also stopped loosing fish once I started dosing. I have since setup a QT, and purchased a Grren Machine UV Sterilizer from Amazon (Much cheaper than what you’ll find at the LFS and works great. I have mine in the sump.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool but what is nori?
You can buy it made for fish tanks and pay a lot of money, or go to the oriental market and get roasted seaweed. Just make sure there is nothing added to it. You asked earlier about fish stocking. That is such a personal thing I do not want to give choices, but places like liveaquaria and of course, in this form this is much discussion on appropriate fish for certain size tanks.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy it made for fish tanks and pay a lot of money, or go to the oriental market and get roasted seaweed. Just make sure there is nothing added to it. You asked earlier about fish stocking. That is such a personal thing I do not want to give choices, but places like liveaquaria and of course, in this form this is much discussion on appropriate fish for certain size tanks.

your honest opinion... did I make some poor choices on my tank fish wise? It’s all good I’d rather learn and be told I screwed up. Im feeling like I’ve kind of made this same mistake twice now...

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s any help, I went through the same thing several months ago with my 75 gallon tank. My LFS recommended treating the water with Seachems Metroplex dosed to the tank and then add it to the fishes food along with Seachems focus. You may also want to add some garlic to the food. Fish will not eat metroplex in the food without the Focus and Garlic. After about 3 weeks ick was gone and has not returned in 10 weeks since. I also stopped loosing fish once I started dosing. I have since setup a QT, and purchased a Grren Machine UV Sterilizer from Amazon (Much cheaper than what you’ll find at the LFS and works great. I have mine in the sump.

so my friend down here says he’s got a green machine UV sterilizer I can have that he never used for cheap Or “I owe him one”. He’s a fellow veteran and his gonna drop it by around 7! This is great. He said I can put it in the tank or sump. “Dosent really matter”. whats best?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so everyone is also talking about feeding. I’ve just been feeding my guys mysis shrimp. I have both garlic powder and garlic cloves I could chop really small with my chopper. Also have fish oil pills. Do I just mix this all up for them with the mysis shrimp or is there a technique?

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am now having my 2nd battle with ich after restarting my tank. Please if you have a moment take the time to read and I’m all ears on anyones advice. Also I really do not have the space nor money to start a quarantine set up.

so I bought my tank from a friend of a friends probably just over a year ago now. I had a few corals and got my 55 gallon tank up to about 8 fish. Then ich struck, I didn’t notice the ich until I lost most the fish(rookie mistake). I was told there is no reef safe cure for ich. Shortly later I lost all my fish. Then I had some personal financial trouble, and my wave maker broke.My corals died next. well finally I had the money to restart the tank. The tank had sat fallow for 90 days which is what was recommended to me by my friend and even someone at a LFS. So I bought decent wave makers, did a 50 pct water change. Added a few fish(every fish I added has been dipped in ruby reefs hydroplex). Then a few real basic corals. Things were going great. Currently all my corals are helthy open and I even have 1 piece of SPS that is looking great. However the other day I posted my fire hawk fish was MIA. Now yesterday my fox face(most recent addition) has white Dots all over him! The other fish all still look ok. At one point I bought the polyp lab medic stuff as a just in case. I started using the recommended does of 1 level scoop twice a day. This is really nerve racking and upsetting! I was doing so well this time!! Can anyone offer advice to save my fish ?? Does polyp medic work? I’ve seen people swear by it and others call it snake oil. again appreciate anyones help.

tank set up
——————-
55 gallon tank w/ overflow
refugium filter
FluvalSmart light
jeabo wave makers one set as master one as slave

levels
———-
ph 8.2
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0
nitrtae 5-10ppm have a lil difficulty judging the color.
temp : 78.5

fish
———
firehawk fish(assumed dead haven’t seen in 4-5 days)
pair of tomato clowns
leopard wrasse
fairy wrasse
cardinal
scissor fish
royal gramma
fox face(has white spots) was last addition
tomini tang
Sounds like you added too much, too fast. One or more of the fish went in infected. Treat fish in QT, let display go fallow.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#reefsquad

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your honest opinion... did I make some poor choices on my tank fish wise? It’s all good I’d rather learn and be told I screwed up. Im feeling like I’ve kind of made this same mistake twice now...
I think the foxface and tang are mistakes. I am not a clown fish guy, but if that is something you want there are other clowns that aren't as mean as tomato clowns. I think most flasher wrasses and select fairy wrasses would be good. A starry blenny would work and has lots of personality. Cardinals are good. A think a good think to do is get on liveaquaria and just go through all the fish they list and read descriptions. Once you get a list together make a new post and I am sure others with critique you list.

Bscivil99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my friend down here says he’s got a green machine UV sterilizer I can have that he never used for cheap Or “I owe him one”. He’s a fellow veteran and his gonna drop it by around 7! This is great. He said I can put it in the tank or sump. “Dosent really matter”. whats best?
Mine is in my sump

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

Why not pull all the coral and just have a fish only tank. Then you can medicate your main display tank. Note of course you’ll never be able to use the rock sand etc in a reef after medicating with copper.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

Why not pull all the coral and just have a fish only tank. Then you can medicate your main display tank. Note of course you’ll never be able to use the rock sand etc in a reef after medicating with copper.

Like I said, pull the rock, corals and sand and treat the tank. If you didn't want to pull the sand, replace it after treatment is done. Add some PVC pipe sections for hiding spots for the fish. Easier than anything else and you would have a fighting chance at saving the fish.

Given the situation, that's definitely the coarse of action I'd take for sure.

When I first started out in the hobby, I lost $300 dollars of fish due to ich. I tried managing it, but it didn't work. I stocked heavily not understanding my limits. Big mistake.

Since back then, I quarantine all my fish and treat them accordingly if needed.

Hobby is too dang expensive to not do this. Respectfully.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced something similar, but with Velvet, far nastier than ich. Steps I would recommend.

Freshwater dip all fish ASAP. Rodi water, match temperature, put fish in for no longer than 5 minutes. This kills the parasites on the fish giving you extra time to work and gather supplies.

Go and buy a sturdy plastic tote/bin, fill with water, matching salinity and temperature. Depending on the size of the bin you can do the following.

A: Transfer your fish into the bin, add a sponge filter, powerhead, heater, seed with bacteria from your filtration set up. Not you can dose copper or whatever medication you want for as long as you need to.

B: Transfer all your rock, sand, corals, inverts to the bin, set up lights, powerheads and heater, and you can now dose your tank with the fish with whatever medications you want.

C: Go the Ich Management route, there are several good threads about it here.

This won't take up much space, and can be set up quickly and for less than $50. It's what I did to save my eel as they're very copper sensitive, but parasite resistant. He is quite happy living in a big bin with nothing but live rock, a light, powerhead and lots of water changes. Total floor space used is less than 2 square meters, can legit be set up in a closet.

Just be sure to keep your rock/coral/inverts fallow for a minimum of 76 days, longer if you can manage it.

Prolonged exposure to saltwater can weaken some plastics over time. Keep an eye out for cracks and leaks. This happened to me, but fortunately I caught it pretty quick.

Attached is the picture of my setup. Well, it's a picture of my cat pretending to be a porpoise, but you can see it in the background. Doesn't take up much space at all and I have 50lbs of rock, snails, hermits and an eel in there.

DSC_0633.JPG

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok my LFS will be open tomorrow and he has UV sterilizes. I’ll go grab one! Do I place it in the tank or the sump? When you say feed heavily? How much and why am I feeding heavily?
Feeding heavily is probably double what you are feeding and if the fish aren't eating try getting some garlic gaurd and selcon to help get the fish healthy and eating.could always treat the DT with cupramine not sure how many corals you have sometimes its easier to find a home for a couple corals but that's what I did not having room to quartine 5 tangs a fox face and about 10 other small fishes

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m gonna get the UV stealizer for my DT. Also somehow pull out all the fish and do some sort of quarantine setup. I’m still trying to figure out where I live in older home that was remodeled it’s nice and all but I am defintky low on outlets

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m gonna get the UV stealizer for my DT. Also somehow pull out all the fish and do some sort of quarantine setup. I’m still trying to figure out where I live in older home that was remodeled it’s nice and all but I am defintky low on outlets

Powerbars are your friend. I run a 200 watt heater, powerhead and 165 watt led light off 1 powers trip. Main tank runs 1 200 watt heater, Aquaclear 110 and 70, and a 165 watt led off a power strip. Got a 20 gallon tank running off extension cords in my basement. Ain't pretty, but it works.
100amp breaker in my place. You should be okay.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to the Foxface. I thought they’re supposed to be ick / disease resistant? I don’t know how well your friend took care of his tank before this, but if a fish like a Foxface is getting sick in a fairly well-established tank, he could have taken care of his tank pretty poorly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back