3/4 inch plumbing fit 1 inch?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the plumbing on my new tank, and I've got 3/4 threaded bulkheads for the return. The outside of the bulkhead is also threaded, and I realized it fits my 1 inch union. Could I glue a 3/4 elbow inside the 1 inch union, or would there end up being a chance of leaking since theres a little bit of a gap? I'm figuring that once the cement is in there it should seal, just want to make sure. Itd make maintaining the pipes a dream because I could then disconnect the entirety of the plumbing system from the tank.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the cement seals all the cracks and really sets you should be fine. You could also ring the outside if the gap with silicone. Really depends on gap size. 1/4” no, like super super small where water might drip through, you’re fine.
Pvc is super cheap if you don’t want to take a risk.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow manufacturers instructions to avoid voiding the warrantee and experiencing catastrophic leaks.

BourbonLegend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say just get a proper reducer. Super cheap to ensure proper fitment, last thing any of us want is an under cabinet leak of any kind! I was tempted to cement a pvc slip to a pump that didn't fit tightly, and that night had visions of a return pump gieser.

The horror....

The horror.....

ld659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a very difficult time trying to find the proper reducer. I have a vectra M2 pump and the output barb fits 1” ID hose perfectly but the barb on my plumbing requires a 3/4” ID hose. All the 1” to 3/4” reducers I’ve found must be referencing some other measurement bc they are swallowed by both hoses. I can’t find anything online either. There has to be a way to get this done, I just cannot find it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ld659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a short piece of 1" id hose to a barb to barb reducer to your 3/4". plastic hoseclamps and done.
Yeah, that’s what I’d love to do but I can’t find those reducers. All the barb to barb reducers ive round that are labeled 1” - 3/4” get swallowed by both hoses (the 1” ID hose as well as the 3/4” ID hose). It’s so small compared to hose a clamp won’t even seal it. So I started looking for larger barb to barb reducers and I just can’t seem to find them anywhere including online. I’ve found the 1” - 3/4” online but they’ve come in far to small for the hoses and I can’t find larger ones. I’m certain of the ID of the hoses.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to go to your local Home Depot plumbing section. You can hook almost anything to anything with what you can find there. You might even find an old guy to help you.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there's some wrong measurements somewhere. Is it possible you got metric hose. A 1 inch i.d. hose from one company should never be bigger than a 1inch hose barb from another company.
Measure the i.d. of the hoses you need to connect, when measuring make sure the holes is as close to round as possible. Then get the hose barb you need based on your actual measurement.

ld659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurements are all correct and verified. I’ve decided to downgrade my return pump to the vectra S2 and be done with this whole thing. Should have it tomorrow. Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back