3.8 gallon stocking ideas

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a small tank for my office, and I am putting together a stocking list.

I know I want a Yellow Watchmen and Shrimp pair.

Emerald crab (maybe)

Sally Lightfoot(maybe)

Assorted hermits and snails

What other fish could fit and be happy in this tank?

Could a pajama card. pair be happy in there?

or a single clown with a RFA?

I have only ever had big tanks, the smallest in my house right now it a 50g cube, so this is all new territory for me. I really care about my animals of all types so I dont want them to be unhappy.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
you got the Eshop Deskmate 3.8? its a great little tank i'm also think about on top of my office desk.

Maybe a yellow watchman , pistol shrimp pair? or a small goby.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the watchman and pistol shrimp. The watchman will get 3-4 inches long, which is too small to fit in a 4 gallon, and the pistol shrimp will cover the rockwork in sand. Stick to a single clown goby or a pair of eviota gobies. I hope that this helps!

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a small tank for my office, and I am putting together a stocking list.

I know I want a Yellow Watchmen and Shrimp pair.

Emerald crab (maybe)

Sally Lightfoot(maybe)

Assorted hermits and snails

What other fish could fit and be happy in this tank?

Could a pajama card. pair be happy in there?

or a single clown with a RFA?

I have only ever had big tanks, the smallest in my house right now it a 50g cube, so this is all new territory for me. I really care about my animals of all types so I dont want them to be unhappy.
I have a sharknose goby for my 10 gallon nano reef tank. Good color, fun to watch, and he cleans my hand when I put it in the tank to do stuff. Also, have a yasha goby that is pretty cool too. Maybe two sharknose gobys max?(might be pushing it) As they get about 2 inches each.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just some suggestions:
Sexy shrimp in that size tank would look great imo, and you could prob do a lot of them.
Trimma gobies stay real small, I would recommend getting aquaculture from Biota
Pods, mysid shrimp, tiny starfish, all look bigger, maybe concentrate on refugium type animals

Post a pic when u get it stocked!

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the watchman and pistol shrimp. The watchman will get 3-4 inches long, which is too small to fit in a 4 gallon, and the pistol shrimp will cover the rockwork in sand. Stick to a single clown goby or a pair of eviota gobies. I hope that this helps!
how do you feel about a yasha goby?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you feel about a yasha goby?
I have one in my 3.8. It's a perfect size. They don't move a lot, so space is not a major concern. Just make sure your scape allows for hiding places.

I also have a small clown and a small firefish. For inverts I have 4 sexy shrimps, one tiger conch, one nassarius, 4 snails, and two hermits. I would probably ditch the nassarius and only have 1 hermit for scavenging food scraps. The snails aren't really for the glass, but for the rockwork. The conch is good for scavenging and disturbing the sandbed. With the three small fish, I can feed enough to keep the P04 stable at 0.02 - 0.05.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 3.8. It's a perfect size. They don't move a lot, so space is not a major concern. Just make sure your scape allows for hiding places.

I also have a small clown and a small firefish. For inverts I have 4 sexy shrimps, one tiger conch, one nassarius, 4 snails, and two hermits. I would probably ditch the nassarius and only have 1 hermit for scavenging food scraps. The snails aren't really for the glass, but for the rockwork. The conch is good for scavenging and disturbing the sandbed. With the three small fish, I can feed enough to keep the P04 stable at 0.02 - 0.05.
Good deal.

I havent settled on my inverts yes. Can I mix shrimp types? I want a pistol to pair with my yasha, but I would love to have other shrimps.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal.

I havent settled on my inverts yes. Can I mix shrimp types? I want a pistol to pair with my yasha, but I would love to have other shrimps.
The pistol would be fine. Don't get sexy shrimp if you plan to get other shrimp like a coral banded, or other crabs like an arrow crab. The sexies might end up as snacks.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back