3 clownfish in one tank …

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had one small clownfish, and I ordered 1 more but i got 2 instead… what do I do? My reef tank is 90 gallon

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are all the same they should be fine...I got 9 in a 300..had 8 then added a 9th one because we adopted it from someone tearing a tank down.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are all the same they should be fine...I got 9 in a 300..had 8 then added a 9th one because we adopted it from someone tearing a tank down.
image.jpg

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get two pairs, you may find that the females may end up fighting. Not sure how these disputes will pan out in a 90 gal, but I've personally been able to keep small harems in smaller tanks with little to no fighting. Albeit it was because the males were all from the same tank originally, but I would monitor the fish closely and watch for any severe fighting.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get two pairs, you may find that the females may end up fighting. Not sure how these disputes will pan out in a 90 gal, but I've personally been able to keep small harems in smaller tanks with little to no fighting. Albeit it was because the males were all from the same tank originally, but I would monitor the fish closely and watch for any severe fighting.
The two bigger ones fight a lot right now

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this two females?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fighting frequently, and their sizes are similar/bigger than the male, they may be two females duking it out. I've also read that locking mouths (as seen here) is a sign of females fighting. They may have already transitioned/are transitioning to females or are established females. I would recommend rehoming one of the females, as they'll most likely fight to the death. However, I'm once again not sure how these disputes will balance in a 90 gal

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are fighting frequently, and their sizes are similar/bigger than the male, they may be two females duking it out. I've also read that locking mouths (as seen here) is a sign of females fighting. They may have already transitioned/are transitioning to females or are established females. I would recommend rehoming one of the females, as they'll most likely fight to the death. However, I'm once again not sure how these disputes will balance in a 90 gal
Might end up Selling one of the Big ones. I seperated Them and the other one is not Also attacking the small one

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back