3 Course Meals for fish Kings / Queens

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, over the last 4 years of running a large 340 gallon mixed reef aquarium, I have some pretty large fish now. A Caribbean blue tang that is almost outgrowing the tank (10-12" around and THICK), a 10-12" creole Anthia, and a Dragon Wrasse that's 8" long just to name a few. I also have a medium sized black long nosed tang and mimick - chocolate tang.

My fish eat around 2-3 ounces of frozen food and 1 sheet of nori per day on average.

I'm needing to make my next round of fish food:

I follow the BRS recipe pretty closely:

Costco: Frozen Shrimp (raw and shelled) and Raw mahi ahi tuna. Sometimes they have scallops as well that I mix in.

For the rest, I mix in nori, Max Aminos (Fish aminos), selcon, and sometimes a bottle of bottled fish eggs.
I also add calanous powder and phyto powder (red and green finely ground powders) and mix with what my fish like best, freeze dried mysis. I tried Krill... Yeah, not even the dragon wrasse liked freeze dried krill (I don't blame them, Krill looks creepy).

I add some benefits reef powder to it as well to feed the corals too.

That said, Just wondering, if there's anything else I should add to make my food more nutritious for food. Just want to change things up a little for them to have something different, but not too much either.

What have you done if you make your own fish food?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's some gourmet meal for your fish! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I'm too lazy to make my own fish food but if I ever did I'd definitely use High Performance Diet (HPD) from American Reef. Fed 10+ yrs to his tangs and created by a local zoo/aquarium, economical and highly nutritious.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have your bases covered. I wouldnt mess with your recipe. Youve got good proteins, vegetable matter and adding selcon for vitamins. Thats a perfect food and then you added coral foods on top. Very good, I will be stealing this recipe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back