3 fish in 3 days. Please help!

zatchyvsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I need some help.

I have lost three fish in the past three days and it all seems to be the same issue that I cannot figure out.

First I lost a Niger Trigger, the a Social Wrasse, now my Royal Gramma.

Remaining is 1 Gem Tang, 1 Hippo Tang, 2 Clowns, 3 fire goby, 4 cardinals, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 lawnmower, and 1 mandarin dragonete. In a 120Gal reef with coral and 2 bubble tip anemone. One that just split 2 days ago which makes 3 anemones.

The symptoms of the fish is flakiness in the tail and on the body of the fish. The day before each fish has dies they eat very well but stay in their hiding place. The next day they are unseen and hiding until at some point they are floating about or hanging at the bottom of the tank. Also all fish have had cloudy eyes. I will move them to the hospital tank but by that time it is already too late.

Any ideas what is going on? Or what else I should be doing.

All of my parameters are in check and I even did a 30% water change 2 days ago when I lost the Trigger.

I attached pictures to the threat circling the flaky area of the royal gramma.

I have also been putting in melafix into the 120Gal as a precaution.

3F32C33F-53E1-4C94-B35E-E5F5D9E4A30E.jpeg 6EE8D9AA-23FB-4718-8D0E-8BD00E3E4F1E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I need some help.

I have lost three fish in the past three days and it all seems to be the same issue that I cannot figure out.

First I lost a Niger Trigger, the a Social Wrasse, now my Royal Gramma.

Remaining is 1 Gem Tang, 1 Hippo Tang, 2 Clowns, 3 fire goby, 4 cardinals, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 lawnmower, and 1 mandarin dragonete. In a 120Gal reef with coral and 2 bubble tip anemone. One that just split 2 days ago which makes 3 anemones.

The symptoms of the fish is flakiness in the tail and on the body of the fish. The day before each fish has dies they eat very well but stay in their hiding place. The next day they are unseen and hiding until at some point they are floating about or hanging at the bottom of the tank. Also all fish have had cloudy eyes. I will move them to the hospital tank but by that time it is already too late.

Any ideas what is going on? Or what else I should be doing.

All of my parameters are in check and I even did a 30% water change 2 days ago when I lost the Trigger.

I attached pictures to the threat circling the flaky area of the royal gramma.

I have also been putting in melafix into the 120Gal as a precaution.

3F32C33F-53E1-4C94-B35E-E5F5D9E4A30E.jpeg 6EE8D9AA-23FB-4718-8D0E-8BD00E3E4F1E.jpeg
Its hard to tell with a dead fish what is going on but a video and/or a few pics under white lighting may help with assessment. The gramma does show possible signs of aggression but question was when or can be fin rot which is a bacterial issue.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
Any of them gasping at surface?
Itching-darting-scratching ?
Loss of appetite with surviving fish?

What is tank temp-ammonia-Ph - salinity level?

OP
OP
zatchyvsalt

zatchyvsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell with a dead fish what is going on but a video and/or a few pics under white lighting may help with assessment. The gramma does show possible signs of aggression but question was when or can be fin rot which is a bacterial issue.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
Any of them gasping at surface?
Itching-darting-scratching ?
Loss of appetite with surviving fish?

What is tank temp-ammonia-Ph - salinity level?
The rest of the fish are breathing and eating quite well. I just did a 40%water change. Temp is 78 degrees. There was a small bit of ammonia when I checked today but that was after a feeding. I did the water change immediately after. Salinity is 1.023. Ph is about 7.8.

I was thinking fin rot but the rest of the fish appear to be healthy and happy. No heavy breathing or gasping for air. Swimming and moving about normally.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The rest of the fish are breathing and eating quite well. I just did a 40%water change. Temp is 78 degrees. There was a small bit of ammonia when I checked today but that was after a feeding. I did the water change immediately after. Salinity is 1.023. Ph is about 7.8.

I was thinking fin rot but the rest of the fish appear to be healthy and happy. No heavy breathing or gasping for air. Swimming and moving about normally.
Bring salinity up to at least 1.024 and ph- does it drop at night?
Assuming bacterial, I believe you are outside of USA. If so, not sure you can obtain Ruby Rally Pro but NT Labs acriflavine will work as will Waterlife Myxazin

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fin rot always begins with some damage to the fin, it doesn’t just start up on its own.

Can you post a video of the tank and the fish? That sometimes gives us additional clues.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back