3 out of 3 Eheim Jager Heaters are Overheating my Tanks

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old Fluval Spec V, I was running an Aqueon 50w adjustable heater and it was on point all the time. When I upgraded to my NUVO Fusion 40, I went with the Eheim Jager 150w heater. I heard lots of good things about this heater. It was fine for a couple months, then slowly the tank temperature started creeping up 2-3 degrees higher than usual. So I "calibrated" and "calibrated" it until I couldn't do so anymore and then figured it was just too overpowering for that size tank. So I downgraded to the 100w and once again it was fine for a couple months and then the tank temperature continued to creep back up 2-3 degrees. I now have it set to 77 degrees and my tank is running at 80. I also had the 50w version in my NUVO Fusion 10 until it stated doing the same thing. I replaced it with my old Aqueon heater and the tank temperature has been holding steady at 78.4 degrees with hardly any fluctuation. Has anybody else had issues with these Eheim Jager heaters? I could get a temperature controller, but why? Why would do that to fix a faulty heater?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way they control temp is not very consistent even when new and just gets worse with age. They use a very inexpensive bimetal strip with points on the end. Over time the points burn and get dirty. This causes them to not make good contact, affecting the temperature they come on at. They also stick affecting the temperature they turn off at. A good controller eliminates this issue. Rancho makes industrial controllers that will last many times longer than most tanks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for a controller is because when heaters break, they can do so in catastrophic ways and crash a tank.

I haven't had many issues with Jager. I did have one leak water into it. I have a few going in QT tanks without controllers. Even a 100w on a 5g. They just are not accurate... like might need to be set at 73 to really be 78.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had an issue with an Eheim Jaeger heater. I do keep mine plugged into an Inkbird for 2 reasons, one if it does fail it will be shut off so my livestock won't cook. 2 it helps regulate temp versus using the dial on the heater.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used Eheim Jagers for years. They worked great. In the last 7 years I've had every eheim heater fail (most leaked) and most drifted temp like you described. This was 7-9 heaters of 200w+. I now only use titanium with a ranco.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helios + computer or ink bird. I always go triple protection on the heaters, even though the Helios are designed not to be able to heat too much.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a controller , the BayIte is the best ime, with cheap amazon heaters in multiples of 150, I try to use 2-3 heats on each tank, this way if any fail you have back up, however I have never had a heater fail in this hobby ;) I replace every year or so though

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back