3 xl 900 flow issues

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 3xl 900 red sea set up and Im Having issues dialing in the sump flow. I have an ecotech return pump that is only at 30%. I adjust the water level on top very slowly at 1mm below emergency overflow pipe and everything looks fine for hours. The next day the water level is way below emergency overflow and were my return pump is it's really low too. Help

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running an auto top off (ATO)? It could be evaporation, if not.
Tank has only been up for a week, no ATO yet. I thought the same thing but I was putting 2 gallons of rodi water in it a day then I checked the salinity and it was low. So that's telling me I'm not evaporating that much water. I've been tweaking the down flow a little every day and just when I think it's good the next day it does the samething.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and ecotech return pumps. One thing i have noticed on my L2s, the amount of water volume in the return pump section impacts the flow. Observation and using round numbers for discussion purposes: I tune and set everything and say i get 800 gph and never touch the overflow valves. If i lower the water in the return pump section by a 1", flow drops to 740gph (but it is not sucking air). If i raise it above the set point, go one inch above, flow increases to 810gph. While I do not know if this is your issue, it may be more of an aspect of fine tuning the return pump and not the sump or the tank.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and ecotech return pumps. One thing i have noticed on my L2s, the amount of water volume in the return pump section impacts the flow. Observation and using round numbers for discussion purposes: I tune and set everything and say i get 800 gph and never touch the overflow valves. If i lower the water in the return pump section by a 1", flow drops to 740gph (but it is not sucking air). If i raise it above the set point, go one inch above, flow increases to 810gph. While I do not know if this is your issue, it may be more of an aspect of fine tuning the return pump and not the sump or the tank.
Thank you I'll try adjust return pump section

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion, an ATO is important if you are trying to keep the overflow "constant" or if you do want to fiddle with the valves. So if not fiddling with the overflows is important to you, get an ATO.

In terms of the proper height in the sump. let the tank run, turn off the return pumps and check your water level, even with the back siphon (note that you can put check valves in to mitigate the siphon but check valves can still fail or stick). With the power off, and the water level rising. When it stops backfilling into your sump and does not flood, you got a the right height of water in your sump prior to you turning it off ;).

The short version, i run about six inches in the return pump section with everything on and running. your plumbing and configuration may be slightly different than my own so use caution to ensure that you dont flood in case of a power outage.

Hope this helped.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can run sumps and return pump sections slightly different. I played around with mine to find the right balance...including a couple floods ;) and a stuck check valve.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can run sumps and return pump sections slightly different. I played around with mine to find the right balance...including a couple floods ;) and a stuck check valve.
I'm wondering if maybe one problem is not enough water. I shut off everything and water level in sump doesn't come anywhere near top. I've been tweaking pump settings and the overflow gate for pump section. It's ok right now but it's always 24 hours later my tank balance is all wacked

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental note to illustrate my point.

Disregard on why I am running three pumps. Notice how the first pump turns off (flow goes to zero). When I turned off that pump, the water in the sump raised just an inch or two. Notice how the other two pumps hand an increase in flow at the same time? Stable water height, depending on the return pump, goes hand and hand with flow.
1614302111167.png

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental note to illustrate my point.

Disregard on why I am running three pumps. Notice how the first pump turns off (flow goes to zero). When I turned off that pump, the water in the sump raised just an inch or two. Notice how the other two pumps hand an increase in flow at the same time? Stable water height, depending on the return pump, goes hand and hand with flow.
1614302111167.png

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that, the volume of water push in down increases the flow. Does it eventually level out again or does the water level stay higher

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water evaporation you get a week you think?
Ok, before I hook my ato up I wanted to get my water leveled out. I'm having progress I got the tank water level staying right below the emergency overflow and my return pump section stays about a 1/2" above the pump. The overflow to the pump is all the way down. If I adjust my pump flow higher it starts sucking air I then open my flow valve a mm or less and the tank overflow starts going down.‍♂️. Do You keep your return pump section water level to the height of the ato that came with the tank?

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not use the stock ATO device, but the water height is pretty close to that.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water evaporation you get a week you think?
I have a new XL900. I am running 2 COR-20s at 65%. That should be about 2600 gph. Its cold here so am running the heater in my house. According to Tunze water does evaporate faster with a home being heated. ATO soon.

I have to add between 1.5 -2 gallons a day. I have only had to "tune" the flow valve once. I started with it all way counter clock wise and slowly started turning it clockwise as per in the manual.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not use the stock ATO device, but the water height is pretty close to that.
Ok thank you for all help. I'm not going to use the tanks ato also. Got the tunze ato. So when you shutoff your return pump your water level in the sump is a few inches from the top of the glass? Out side edges?

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new XL900. I am running 2 COR-20s at 65%. That should be about 2600 gph. Its cold here so am running the heater in my house. According to Tunze water does evaporate faster with a home being heated. ATO soon.

I have to add between 1.5 -2 gallons a day. I have only had to "tune" the flow valve once. I started with it all way counter clock wise and slowly started turning it clockwise as per in the manual.
When you shutoff your shutoffs how high does the water go in your sump?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back