3 xl 900 flow issues

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not using the extension sump. I made a lid for the extension sump and it will be my ATO revivor with Tunze ATO. It will hold about 20 gallons.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what the issue is? You are saying the water fluctuates in the overflow? If so, this has nothing to do with the ATO. This is an issue with the Red Sea plumbing, specifically the tuning valve and is very common in Red Sea tanks.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Are you using the stock ATO? It should keep the water level constant in the return section. Here is what mine looks like. See how it is up to the white float valve?

image.jpg

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add more water tonight when I get home
When it is running the water height in the sump stays constant except for the return section. I fill it to were the water is just about to go over the sponge baffle wall but doesn't.
You have that baffle for the sponge wall all the way up

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Are you using the stock ATO? It should keep the water level constant in the return section. Here is what mine looks like. See how it is up to the white float valve?

image.jpg
I know it has nothing to do with ato, I adjust the red sea valve and pump flow but just can't get both sump and tank overflow to stay. After 24hrs either my pump section is low or my over on tank gets low. I do small adjustments but just seems to slowly do it after 1 day

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
No, I have a tunze but not hooked up yet. Want to get 0my water level(flow) dialed in first. Thanks for the picture.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in the return section will drop with evaporation. Once your ATO is working it should keep the return pump level stable.

The water level in the overflow will fluctuate. That is the nature of the Red Sea plumbing.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in the return section will drop with evaporation. Once your ATO is working it should keep the return pump level stable.

The water level in the overflow will fluctuate. That is the nature of the Red Sea plumbing.
Ok, thanks.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new XL900. I am running 2 COR-20s at 65%. That should be about 2600 gph. Its cold here so am running the heater in my house. According to Tunze water does evaporate faster with a home being heated. ATO soon.

I have to add between 1.5 -2 gallons a day. I have only had to "tune" the flow valve once. I started with it all way counter clock wise and slowly started turning it clockwise as per in the manual.
I have found that I am limited to about ~400-500gph per each 3/4" line (25mm for red sea). I had a RS 750 and the RS 900, ran both COR-20s and L2s (which have a bit more punch than COR-20s).

I even reached to Neptune a year or so ago when i used the COR-20s and was why is my flow so low, they provided me a table (which i can not find at the moment) that confirmed my calculations and graphs. The RS stock return pump piping limits the overall flow and may not align with the head pressure graphs.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that I am limited to about ~400-500gph per each 3/4" line (25mm for red sea). I had a RS 750 and the RS 900, ran both COR-20s and L2s (which have a bit more punch than COR-20s).

I even reached to Neptune a year or so ago when i used the COR-20s and was why is my flow so low, they provided me a table (which i can not find at the moment) that confirmed my calculations and graphs. The RS stock return pump piping limits the overall flow and may not align with the head pressure graphs.
Good to know, you running the full apex system?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting. Well RS recommends 2600 gph. My two COR-20 are set at 65% witch should be 2600. It is blasting and seems all I should do but I will try turning them up a little more.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the email string with neptune.

1614370254400.png

Simplified, what it is conveying that the most flow you could achieve is 660gph for each 3/4" pipe. 660 is ideal if you have no head pressure and no losses (90 degree bends, etc.).

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the email string with neptune.

1614370254400.png

Simplified, what it is conveying that the most flow you could achieve is 660gph for each 3/4" pipe. 660 is ideal if you have no head pressure and no losses (90 degree bends, etc.).
I seen that as says 2600gph recommended but I'm assuming you wouldn't need to blast 2600 gph I only have my pump at 50%right now and its cranking out a lot off flow.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea can speak for themselves but I do not read that the two 25mm pipes can handle 2600 gph.

"the 3XL 900 introduces an enlarged overflow box with dual side-facing return pump outlets and increased surface skimming that provides ideal water circulation in the tanks with flows of up to 10,000 lph / 2600 gph."

the overflow can handle 2600, not that the return pump pipes can put out 2600. The overflow pipes are nearly equivalent to 1.25", thus they will handle around 1300 gph (scale the numbers from the previous graphs). Therefore there are to overflow pipes (1300+1300=2600).

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to share the lessons learned I made. I was set back as to why i could never get the turnover rate i calculated. In this case, it was the return pump piping limiting the total flow. Noting, a 5x turnover is still good and this is not a ding on redsea products. i have three of there tanks and like every one of them.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea can speak for themselves but I do not read that the two 25mm pipes can handle 2600 gph.

"the 3XL 900 introduces an enlarged overflow box with dual side-facing return pump outlets and increased surface skimming that provides ideal water circulation in the tanks with flows of up to 10,000 lph / 2600 gph."

the overflow can handle 2600, not that the return pump pipes can put out 2600. The overflow pipes are nearly equivalent to 1.25", thus they will handle around 1300 gph (scale the numbers from the previous graphs). Therefore there are to overflow pipes (1300+1300=2600).

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to share the lessons learned I made. I was set back as to why i could never get the turnover rate i calculated. In this case, it was the return pump piping limiting the total flow. Noting, a 5x turnover is still good and this is not a ding on redsea products. i have three of there tanks and like every one of them.
How do you like your apex?

Back