30% cleaning vinegar safe for aquarium use?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just as the title says I am really not Sure if there is any difference other than it being stronger. I got a bottle at Home Depot and the ingredients say 30% acetic acid. Can anyone tell me if it safe to soak Coraline covered stuff in at all? Or should I stick with "regular vinegar"

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think citric acid would be a better choice, as the acetic acid can be absorbed by some plastics. Randy can provide the chemistry explanation as to which plastics can be affected.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think citric acid would be a better choice, as the acetic acid can be absorbed by some plastics. Randy can provide the chemistry explanation as to which plastics can be affected.
+1 for this. Especially with certain pumps, I found out he hard way…,,and I’m a little on the slow side, so I had to find out over and over, and over. Until one day it wore through my thick skull and into my super dense and decaying brain matter.

Being aware of any hazards, diluted muriatic works very well for me.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the cleaning vinegar has a surfactant in it as well. I usually shake the hell out of it and if the bubbles last more than normal vinegar when you shake it then I steer clear personally

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose citric acid? I don’t realize citric acid was a carbon source tbh
I think @BeanAnimal assumed you wanted to use the vinegar to clean equipment, which what this thread was based off of.

Interestingly, citric acid is an organic carbon source. I’m not aware of why people don’t commonly use it for that purpose. @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley.

Can I take the 30% vinegar and dilute it with RODI to bring it back to 5%? If 1 gallon of 30% mixed with 4 gallons of RODI that would be 6% solution, safe to vinegar dose? Or just buy 5 gallons of 5% and stay safe?

Dilution is fine for dosing. As folks note, vinegar can penetrate plastic.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really???
While I may have missed the recent word "dosing" in a change of context of this resurfaced thread... it WAS about cleaning. As I said, Randy can expound on the chemistry but apparently plastics containing acetal are prone to reacting with the acetic acid and can swell or break down. Citric acid is a better choice, as it does not contain the acetal molecules.

The original post in the thread copied below.
1716245106729.png

To that end, dosing citric acid as an organic carbon source is certainly fine. I enjoy a bit of it with breakfast too...The orange kind. We can venture down dosing memory lane and take a look at orange juice dosing threads, apple juice dosing threads and maybe we can talk about some of the early commercial additives that contained apple juice (malic acid) or citric acid. Mind Blown @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal, mind blown!

So, yes @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal, Really!!! :)

Last edited:

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the confusion. I just thought it would be easier to bring up an existing thread on the 30% Vinegar rather than start a new one. Thanks everyone for the info.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back