30 gallon cube build

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m getting back into the after being away for 3 years. I use the have a large 250 gallon but had to take it down when I sold my house. Well now that I’m in a new place I figured I better get something set up. Here is what I have.
20x20x20 cube
Somatic 60 sump and skimmer combo
Kessil A160 with controller
Glass-holes overflow kit
Maxspect 130 FX
Life Rock Shapes

Got the overflow and return drilled today and setup. Added the Fiji pink sand and done a quick scape. This is where I’m sitting at for now but hope to have water in it the next day or two.

image.jpg

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on doing a mix reef tank and a few nano fish. But that’s down the road and I will cross that bridge after it cycles.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what kind of rock that is, and how many pounds of rock is that?

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what kind of rock that is, and how many pounds of rock is that?
I realize now you're using life Rock shapes. I like the rock work you did. I'm planning a tank with similar dimensions and seems that it would be challenging, but I like what you did. How many pounds of rock is that?

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 pound box. I have two arches a donut one and cave. Then on the right hand side is the two small broken off chunks. Tomorrow I will post better pictures of the scape from all sides and angles.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 pound box. I have two arches a donut one and cave. Then on the right hand side is the two small broken off chunks. Tomorrow I will post better pictures of the scape from all sides and angles.
Nice, I was actually wondering if the 20 box would be enough for my tank and it appears that it will be. Looking forward to more pics [emoji106]

Thank you

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after fighting with my RO/DI unit for the last hour and a half I am making water now. I guess it didn't like sitting in storage for 3 years because it seems like nothing on it wanted to work right or it wanted to leave from every little spot that it could. I replaced all of the filters in it before starting. After getting it up and running I look at my pressure that I have and its a big whopping 40 PSI. I never had any water pressure that low. Will that be ok or should I start shopping around for a booster pump for it? I really don't need it kicking out a 100 gallons a day since my total water is going to be sitting around 36-38 gallons. So water changes will be on the smaller side. Unlike my old tank were I use to do 50 gallon water changes on it.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the water is in and starting the cycle. But on a side note I started my skimmer to test out everything and wow oh wow this thing is loud. It’s a somatic that came with the sump. It’s loud from the air silencer. I put my finger over it and it’s quite. This thing is so loud I can hear it in the room over with the door closed.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I’m seeing movement on my cycle. I am wonder if it’s true that they put dormant bacteria on the life rocks.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the water is in and starting the cycle. But on a side note I started my skimmer to test out everything and wow oh wow this thing is loud. It’s a somatic that came with the sump. It’s loud from the air silencer. I put my finger over it and it’s quite. This thing is so loud I can hear it in the room over with the door closed.
If you can't get that skimmer to quiet down. You might take a look at the BH-50 from Reef Octopus.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...MIkIbm4KWt3gIV1lqGCh11KwknEAQYCiABEgISwPD_BwE

It just might go on sale tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yahoo I decided to add a bottle of Dr Tim’s and it finished up my cycle. Let there be life and movement in my tank. Some Sonny D and spongebob zia’s. Very cool rainbow acan and my tail spot blenny who has already found a nice hole in the rock to call home.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank is moving along just fine. Today I see that my maxspect gyra was only pushing water from one side. Well after a hour and a half I figured out why. The plastic clip that’s on the ceramic shaft cracked so the shaft was just spinning and not turning the propeller. Lucky I had a extra one in the box. Replaced it and it’s all working great again. But next on my shopping list is to start shopping for some SPS to start filling it up.

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, that light looks awesome. Will it be strong enough to grow sps corals or will you need extra.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now I have a monti cap and a couple of cheap SPS and they seem to be doing good so far. But it’s still young to find out for sure.

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is tank drilled for sump or did you use a hang on the back overflow. Show some pic's.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back