OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a xmas favia so holiday festive for the tank..and a neon green chalice. Tank is blue light right now so cant take a picture. Also going up to Bill's next week to pick up my purple urkle chalice I bought at the last frag meet at his place.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time today upgrading the new sump and removed the stuff that failed or just seemed not to perform to the benifit of the 300. Took out the BIO Pellet reactor, the gas exchange tower(trickle bio balls)> did alot of research and found out that maybe the gas exchange tower may have been adding to the high nitrate issue. (averaged around 50 ppm)
Updated the sump about a month ago with a Reef Octopus 300 int varios skimmer 12 inch neck and is wet skimming. It is pulling out a lot of dark stuff. Did a lot of reading and added the old Reef Octopus 200 int back into the sump since many people I spoke two have two skimmers and using them in this set up with vodka or carbon dosing and ozone. It is in the second chamber and is dry skimming and I will use it also for the ozone output...Got a siporax tower built and running water slowly through it. The Siporax is completely under water inside the tower. In just 6 hours tank water is way clearer then it ever was...Been doing research into vodka dosing...and I hope this will get my Nitrate down to more normal numbers. The Bio Pellet reactor just made too much of a mess and really did not bring numbers down as I would have liked. Installed two small reactors, a carbon and a seachem phosguard made from two old small DI reactors from my RODI unit. They doing 30 gallons a hour with 1/4 inch lines so they will turn the tank in 10 hours. I got two normal size reactors for the two different types of DI resin, cation and anion which I will install tomorrow. Having a stella now...Once the Seachem Phosguard gets the numbers around 10ppm I plan to remove it and add a Aquamax GFO reactor to maintain PO4. I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who I have chatted with and provided me information on what worked for them. I look forward to this new sump set up working...

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked on tank. WOW sump water is super clear. I do think the 200 Reef Octopus may be too much so I may swap it out with the Tunze 9410 I have in the second chamber to handle the ozone and the vodka or what ever carbon I am going to use. I think the reef octopus 300 INT has finally broken in. super wet dark stuff. Coffee is ready...Hope everyone has a great New Years

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took a picture of some of the 11 clowns when the lights were off. They normally sleep in a ball at the top. This pic 3 orange clowns and the black and white male.

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I picked up two peppermint shrimp to deal with the start of some Aiptasia and found a male ornate leopard wrasse and a small Christmas wrasse...They came home with me... Added 10 pounds of caribsea sand to the far right corner for them. SO now the tank has 10 pounds of sand in far right and far left back corners. The new wrasses made home in the far right corner while the other two are in the left corner. everyone gets along...

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I picked up two peppermint shrimp to deal with the start of some Aiptasia and found a male ornate leopard wrasse and a small Christmas wrasse...They came home with me... Added 10 pounds of caribsea sand to the far right corner for them. SO now the tank has 10 pounds of sand in far right and far left back corners. The new wrasses made home in the far right corner while the other two are in the left corner. everyone gets along...
Once they come out of hiding, we need lots of pics - can’t wait to see the Leopard

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious if the peppermint shrimp do anything for your aiptasia problem.

I'm assuming the sand is for the wrasses to bury themselves at night. I'd also like to know if the 10lbs of sand is going to stay piled up in the corners of the tank and if so, what you did to keep it from spreading out?

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems the peppermint shrimp did a little damage but I think the coris wrasse may have taken a few out. Each corner has a 10 pound bag of sand and I just let it do it own thing so it looks natural. When I clean the glass I just wave what little sand gets maybe 4 inches or so from the pile, which is about a 12 x 16 or so area. So yesterday I got a CBB...she is in a acclamation box right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 19

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems the peppermint shrimp did a little damage but I think the coris wrasse may have taken a few out. Each corner has a 10 pound bag of sand and I just let it do it own thing so it looks natural. When I clean the glass I just wave what little sand gets maybe 4 inches or so from the pile, which is about a 12 x 16 or so area. So yesterday I got a CBB...she is in a acclamation box right now.

Count myself looking to have only seen one or two Aiptasia while the tank was up... oof

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That's 1000% better than a shrimp.

The hurdle for CBBs are getting them to eat prepared food. I assume you're going to quarantine him as well. If so, while isolated you'll have a better chance of getting him to eat.

Great fish choice... you'll find that they're full of personality.

I have 2 and they are by far my favorite fish.

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Thanks for the input Sisterlimonpot...She eats like a champ..Chases the food even though it is thawed frozen mysis...

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Thanks for the input Sisterlimonpot...She eats like a champ..Chases the food even though it is thawed frozen mysis...
Nice! You got a good one.

Curious what your qt protocol is for him?

The main issue for my guys were parasites. External and intestinal parasites. They've been known to bring in uronema too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back