300g FOWLR Build - Fish Ideas?

ReefOG311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank total volume is 350, including 50g sump, and 34g refugium. Running bio pellet reactor, large 8" skimmer, large UV filter, and separate GAC and GFO reactors. 250 lbs of liver rock is display. Tank has been running since Mid-May. Display DIMs 72x36x24

Typical cycling events...diatoms, cyano, and a few fish deaths due to the impatience. Tank finally seems stable.

Current inhabitants include:
*Gold-spotted Rabbitfish
*One-Spot Foxface
*Tomato Clownfish
*Pair of Heniochus
*French Angel
*Puddingwife Wrasse

As you can tell, I've been a bit impatient, but experienced enough to keep water quality somewhat in check. Good filtration equipment, healthy refugium, and bi-monthly water changes.

In good conscience, I should now hold off and wait a bit before adding more fish, CORRECT?

Some have said wait 6 months, some a year. Come on that's crazy, what's the fun in that? What do you think?

Here is a fish wish list... Please tell me what you think and how you would add them in sequentially and in which timeframe?

1. Dogface Puffer
2. Hippo Tang
3. Naso Tang
4: Blue Throat Trigger
5. Pair of raccoon butterflys
6. Unicorn Tang
7. Kole Tang
8. Queen Angel
9. Keyhole Angel or Purple Tang

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no short cuts in this hobby and nothing good comes out of being impatient.
Please take your time as it saves you a lot of time, energy and money down the road. Specially with the current situation with limited supply and more stressed / possibly sick fish on the market.

I would suggest waiting 3-4 weeks between adding a new fish to your tank. It allow enough time for your system to get adjusted to the additional bio-load and give you enough time to monitor your system for any possible deceases that might have been carried by the new fish.

I would also move the Naso up the list and move the puffer down the list to be added later.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa. You're going to have some big and awesome fish in there. The gold spot rabbit, french angel, wrasse, and puffer will get huge.

I would still skip the unicorn tang. Even with the 3' width, I don't think a 6' tank is enough.
Would you consider an emperor angel over a queen? Or do the angel folks think 2 full-size angels will work in a 6x3x2?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to add 30 fish to my 300g well within a year. Most of my fish were small - medium sized though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back