305 Reef Club, Miami Reefers

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Martin. It’s a fun hobby and I enjoy watching stuff grow in my tank. As long as you enjoy the time an effort you put into working on your tank, that’s all the matters.
Yes I researched a lot before I decided to take the plunge and ordered a bunch of stuff only I had to move so I didnt even set it up for a few months since I figured moving it would be worse if I had it set up but now I'm moved so I'm going to start up shortly.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my name is Martin, new to the salt water game (have a tank setup, it's not actually set up though), in Miami. What lfs do you guys like the most?

Definitely strictly fish. But most stuff buy online from saltwateraquarium and BRS. And try to find stuff on offerup

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. OfferUp is a good place to get used equipment. I also order from amazon and BRS. I’ve never been to VIP. Is it worth a visit?

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. OfferUp is a good place to get used equipment. I also order from amazon and BRS. I’ve never been to VIP. Is it worth a visit?
Well it's the nicest, cleanest place out of a dozen or so I visited. Not too well versed with the different livestock but they had the usual clowns/gobies/tangs everyone else has, a handful of cool displays and one 300g (dont quote me, but if I remember correctly it's a 300) display. Also they have few frag tanks. Dont want to mention any names but a lot of the lfs I visited were grungy and dirty. These guys have a clean place and everytime I visit they're always working on their tanks so o guess that's why it looks so clean.
I'm in the market for rocks and someone that can help me move the tank. Any recommendations? It's a lot heavier than I anticipated and it was a mission just to get it into the house. Now I need to get it to my apartment lol. Best quote I got for the move was 500, plumbed and filled.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to go alot to VIP, always found them to be expensive. Fish look bad, corals overly expensive and dry goods marked up in price. Only went to them for water and filter pads tbh lol

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I live right next to VIP reef literally the next right on 137th after it. I dont have any fish or coral (dont even have water in the tank or rocks) but of all the places I've visited I like them the most.

There pretty cool there. And have a good coral selection. They tax a little

Buy all your dry goods online it is cheaper.

I do try at least once a week and pop in and buy something from the lfs either vip reef or reeftop witch is next door to my job.

Because it’s local and there the people who can help you in a emergency good to have some favor with your lfs.

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s pretty good a couple nice displays few high end peices. Lots of corals $10-100s a little pricy but cool people

I stop by there at least once every two weeks.

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There pretty cool there. And have a good coral selection. They tax a little

Buy all your dry goods online it is cheaper.

I do try at least once a week and pop in and buy something from the lfs either vip reef or reeftop witch is next door to my job.

Because it’s local and there the people who can help you in a emergency good to have some favor with your lfs.
Reeftop was another one of the ones I liked. Cool dude there talked to me for a while and have me a bunch of tips, almost bought my tank from him but decided to just get it online.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you go now?

I rarely go to stores anymore, but strictly is my preferred LFS. Now it's just online for dry goods and local ebay and offerup for corals. Havent bought any fish in a while

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's the nicest, cleanest place out of a dozen or so I visited. Not too well versed with the different livestock but they had the usual clowns/gobies/tangs everyone else has, a handful of cool displays and one 300g (dont quote me, but if I remember correctly it's a 300) display. Also they have few frag tanks. Dont want to mention any names but a lot of the lfs I visited were grungy and dirty. These guys have a clean place and everytime I visit they're always working on their tanks so o guess that's why it looks so clean.
I'm in the market for rocks and someone that can help me move the tank. Any recommendations? It's a lot heavier than I anticipated and it was a mission just to get it into the house. Now I need to get it to my apartment lol. Best quote I got for the move was 500, plumbed and filled.
How big is your tank? I've never paid to have my tanks moved and i've moved some around or when buying used ones. Usually make my friends help me. lol

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I've never paid to have my tanks moved and i've moved some around or when buying used ones. Usually make my friends help me. lol
I dont have friends, the tank is heavy as hell I had my old man and a couple of neighbors help just to get it into the house took us forever I cant imagine going up a staircase with them.

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made another trade today for three corals much prefer meeting local reefers and trading then buying corals online. Definitely prefer the community vibe.
5f21aa438f42791aa7f74d1adef6b61b.jpg

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made another trade today for three corals much prefer meeting local reefers and trading then buying corals online. Definitely prefer the community vibe.
5f21aa438f42791aa7f74d1adef6b61b.jpg
Awesome, I have to get some frags prepared myself. How did you find each other? Was it through the trading posts?

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offerup! I also got stuff for trade if anybody is interested

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anybody running a Co2 scrubber in their tank by any chance?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up guys! New Miami Reefer here and just found this corner of R2R. I’m down to meet up and learn from y’all as well as maybe buy/trade frags I currently only have some zoas without id that I can frag tho
Maybe you guys can tell what they’re

dc8f90a913d58cbd2c072b09ac240e5d.jpg

TangoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anybody running a Co2 scrubber in their tank by any chance?
Hello everyone! Been reading the thread and I’m in the bird road area, I’ll be interested in being a part of the trades and meetings! To answer your question, I began using one three days ago and highly recommend it. My pH before was from 7.9 to 8.1 now I’m at 8.1 to 8.4! I love it! I got the BRS co2 scrubber and I’m using two little fishies CDX media in it.

1D961E2B-7247-4DF1-AA2B-4B7AE6DC986B.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back