30ft of Horizontal Plumbing? Sump in stacked stone basement?

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I have an old house (1886) with a stacked stone foundation. Oh, and we are on an aquifer, i have 2 creeks near the house, my well doesn't stop flowing, so the basement is also wet. I want to put the sump down in the basement, since the well pumps and home water filters are all down there already (so I could setup RODI down there). I figured it would be easy to do all the maintenance down there, and wiring would be a lot easier.

Is it possible to run 30ft of horizontal plumbing? What are the issues associated with putting the sump in a basement like this? I added a video to give you a better idea. The tank would be directly above the crawl space. The piping would have to come around the wall and where the empty spot is between the softner and the dehumidifier (which can be moved a little).

Any thoughts? I want to do a 90-120 DT, and so I did not want all the weight including a sump upstairs. Especially since I wanted to make the sump 55 gallon +.

Video of Basement

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 50 -60 feet of horizontal plumbing with about a 10' vertical lift. The downfall is larger pumps, larger electricity bills. Other than that no downfall. I run qty 2 - 2" plumbing lines to the tank and qty 2 - 3" drains back to the sump. I run about 8000 gph though. You will not need that turn over. Just make sure everything is easily accessible. Needs to be easy to do maintenance and work around. If not, you will never want to do it and your tank will suffer.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump will be easy. the only thing that I would not have access to is the bit of pipe from the floor and the horizontal in the crawl space. Everything else would just be downstairs from the kitchen, easily accessible.

Another question that I just thought of.... insulating the sump? During winter the basement does drop down to about 55F.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 50 -60 feet of horizontal plumbing with about a 10' vertical lift. The downfall is larger pumps, larger electricity bills. Other than that no downfall. I run qty 2 - 2" plumbing lines to the tank and qty 2 - 3" drains back to the sump. I run about 8000 gph though. You will not need that turn over. Just make sure everything is easily accessible. Needs to be easy to do maintenance and work around. If not, you will never want to do it and your tank will suffer.

For the drains, is it the same drop as standard DVW plumbing in the horizontal? 1/4" per foot?

How did you decide on pipe size?

Is it 3" at the tank or does it go up in size?

Any pics?
Thanks

ShowboatHK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my sump in the basement for a year now. 14 feet of head height and about 22 feet of horizontal. I run a Danner Mag Drive 2400gpm for a 150g DT and 75g sump. That pump specifies a 1-1/2” pipe for the output. Then my drain is also 1-1/2”. Everything runs great. 3” seems way over kill to me. Toilets are 3”!

Maybe start by figuring out what pump you would need and see if It states what output pipe diameter you need.

The cold basement could make it tough on your heaters. I do run one heater in the sump and one in the DT. I’m curious if anybody insulates their sump. My basement is rather warm and my sump is pretty close to my furnace.

Good luck! I love doing maintenance on a cement floor with drains nearby! It’s a huge plus.

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" Drop per foot is so that the water stays with the "solids" (poop) to keep it moving. After all no turd should be left high and dry!

Anyway, you don't need to follow that for a water only return...

Tim

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, as mentioned before, I'm running close to 10,000 gallons per hour, that is the reason for QTY - 2 - 3" pipes. Drain pipe is very cheap so I would for sure over size it. There is no downfall to over sizing a drain line, only benefits.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, as mentioned before, I'm running close to 10,000 gallons per hour, that is the reason for QTY - 2 - 3" pipes. Drain pipe is very cheap so I would for sure over size it. There is no downfall to over sizing a drain line, only benefits.

I agree with the oversizing... like you said I probably wont need 3" for a 125 gallon, but i would probably do 2 - 1.5" pipes for drains. I was just wondering in a case like mine, where should I neck it up, right at the overflow? under the floor just so I dont have to cut as big a hole in the floor?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the oversizing... like you said I probably wont need 3" for a 125 gallon, but i would probably do 2 - 1.5" pipes for drains. I was just wondering in a case like mine, where should I neck it up, right at the overflow? under the floor just so I dont have to cut as big a hole in the floor?
I went right to my 3" just in case a fish or something went down, it would easily pass and not get stuck but I ran my plumbing before my subfloor was put down during new construction.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of overflows? What style are you using? I was thinking Herbie, but i was reading that horizontal runs kill the siphon.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pictures of overflows? What style are you using? I was thinking Herbie, but i was reading that horizontal runs kill the siphon.
I use Durso on the two end tanks and my center reef floods the 4" x 4" box perfectly ( it took years to tweak that )

IMG_1504.JPG

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice 14 foot reef. I did read that the Durso can't handle higher flows, but i guess thats not the case.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back